Transporting a Soft Top inside a 2-Door JL

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
I am thinking about ordering a dual top 2-door JL out of state. To do this I will have to factory order a HT JL and have the dealer order me the Mopar soft top from their parts department.

My question... does anybody know if it is possible to transport the soft top inside the jeep with the hardtop on somehow to get it home? I realize the Mopar box is huge and will not fit in the back of a 2-door JL. Would I be able to remove the soft top from the box and wedge it lets say diagonally front to rear or even sideways with the HT still installed on the jeep to get it home? It will be just myself driving home the Jeep so I will not have any passengers. Do you think it will fit with one of the assembled uprights in the front seat and the other upright mechanism diagonally across the back seat. Anybody do this? Just need to know before I order it and have no way to get the soft top home from the out of state dealer. I really do not want to have the box shipped. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
The box the soft top ships in measures 60" x 31" x 20" Does anybody know if this will fit in a 2-door JL. Could anyone possibly measure their 2-door with the rear bench seat removed? I could remove the rear seat and stick the rear bench in the front seat area to transport it home.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
I just recently took delivery of a 4 door with dual tops and the box the soft came in was stuffed in the car. the driver seat was pushed close to the steering wheel. I cant see how anyone in a two door could get it home without a hitch and trailer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Thanks guys! I think I’m gonna hold off with the dealer ordered soft top and order one myself delivered to my door. Thanks

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
My 2011 2 door JK came with the soft top pretty much sitting where it would in the open position all wrapped up and the windows and surrounds where in boxes in the back.

IDK how different the arms are on the JL's, but it should be fine if you bring a couple towels or something to pad the arms from rubbing on the hard top or roll bar assuming they're still shipping the same as JK's

EDIT: I actually had to remove the hard top to get the soft top out, idk how you'd get it in with hard top on

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
It fits diagonally but beware it will catch on interior trim - I have a very small nick in my armrest as a result of transporting like this..

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
For the cost of a pair of clamp on Thule Roof Racks , you could carry it home in the box, strapped to the roof racks...

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It fits diagonally but beware it will catch on interior trim - I have a very small nick in my armrest as a result of transporting like this..
I have an opportunity to get a brand new in box soft top for my 2 door JL in a couple of days. I’ve been looking for months and finally found one. Issue is that it’s 1.5 hours away and my only mode to transport it is my 2 door. Did you have to make any modifications to the box to get it to fit? I’m assuming you also removed the rear seat? I just want to make sure that it’ll fit before making the drive.

Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I have an opportunity to get a brand new in box soft top for my 2 door JL in a couple of days. I’ve been looking for months and finally found one. Issue is that it’s 1.5 hours away and my only mode to transport it is my 2 door. Did you have to make any modifications to the box to get it to fit? I’m assuming you also removed the rear seat? I just want to make sure that it’ll fit before making the drive.
Mine wasn’t boxed, hence it nicked the trim. We had all seats in place (rear was flipped up or at least folded) as we weren’t expecting to find a hardtop that trip.
In your case I’d suggest putting a blanket around it and strapping to your hardtop.

mlkmet88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JKU Sport
I had a 2dr JK with hardtop rear seats removed. I purchased up a softop from a guy 75 miles away who bought dual top, but did not want soft top. We had two people in the Wrangler. May have worked better with just one person in the Wrangler. The only way it fit was out of the box with part of the frame hanging out driver door. Not any easy fit not easy drive back. Had to wrap end in blankets to prevent scratching paint. Recommend driving without top and installing it once you pick it up or get small trailer or tie box tight to top. Assume same issues for JL. Good luck.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
A great example of the value of this forum. I ordered a soft top from my dealer that is over an hour away. I was planning to pick it up in my 2d JL. Saved me a trip. I'll be taking my full sized truck. Thx.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
We bought a 2 door out of state, mounted the hard top, and placed the soft top inside., no boxes Needed to use towels and packing stuff to prevent damage, stop squeaks, and create pockets to store other items. it worked well enough to travel half the usa. this only worked because there was one person, driver.
Sponsored