P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Looked at many forums and did not find any regarding transmission whine in reverse. So I am posting this. I recently installed Rubicon crate axles, 4:10 gears on my JL sport and immediately noticed a transmission whine in reverse between 1 to 4 mph. Is this normal? Dealer did various tests and concluded it is planetary gear noise consistent with 4:10 gearing and larger tires, 35 in my case.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Forward transmission gears are typically all helical cut, which runs quieter while also increasing the amount of surface contact in the mesh. Reverse gears, however, still tend to be straight cut, which will whine.

Is it possible that this whine was there with the stock axles, but your hyper awareness with the new axles has you listening closer than before?

OP
OP
P&PJeep

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Forward transmission gears are typically all helical cut, which runs quieter while also increasing the amount of surface contact in the mesh. Reverse gears, however, still tend to be straight cut, which will whine.

Is it possible that this whine was there with the stock axles, but your hyper awareness with the new axles has you listening closer than before?
That could be the case. Never paid any attention when stock but backed out of the garage with the window down with the new axles and heard the noise.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That could be the case. Never paid any attention when stock but backed out of the garage with the window down with the new axles and heard the noise.
Same sound in drive, or just in reverse? If just in reverse, than it's just the straight cut reverse gear in the transmission that you're hearing, so it should be good. Other than the whine, is it feeling good?

OP
OP
P&PJeep

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Same sound in drive, or just in reverse? If just in reverse, than it's just the straight cut reverse gear in the transmission that you're hearing, so it should be good. Other than the whine, is it feeling good?
Noise is only in reverse, otherwise everything is good.

Sponsored

dlporter

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Looked at many forums and did not find any regarding transmission whine in reverse. So I am posting this. I recently installed Rubicon crate axles, 4:10 gears on my JL sport and immediately noticed a transmission whine in reverse between 1 to 4 mph. Is this normal? Dealer did various tests and concluded it is planetary gear noise consistent with 4:10 gearing and larger tires, 35 in my case.
My rubicon has done this since day 1. I don’t think it’s a big deal.