Sponsored

Towing trailer - questions

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have purchased, but not received, a teardrop trailer. It has trailer brakes and weighs 1700 lbs dry. I have a 2019 JLUR with the tow package and will have to add a Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller from Redarc (I can't use the Mopar version as I have the 6-speed manual) to activate the trailer brakes. I will have to determine if the current 2" drop hitch I have is enough or if I will need a 4" drop as I will have 35" tires on the Jeep by the time I pick it up and possibly a 2.5" lift as well.
I have a manual 2018 JLU and will be interested in your brake controller install.
Sponsored

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes A180, Toyota RAV4, 2020 Rubicon UL 4dr
My Aussie spec JLUR is rated to tow 5500lb (All Australian spec JL's are as they'd never sell any here otherwise), I have a 2" hitch and a RedArc brake controller, I also have airbags in the back to stop the sag when loaded up with my camper etc, it also helps the jeep sit flatter on road with a load on. I think you'll have no trouble with 3500lb, even my 2 door JK was legal to tow that much and did with no problems. My Jeep is on 34's with 2" lift.

edit *** YOUR GEARING MAY SUCK WHEN TOWING ***
I’m very curious about how your hitch is mounted to the JL. Is it possible to snap a few photos of the hitch? I’d really appreciate it.
I’m going to be towing a Lance 1475 with a ’21 Rubicon. Trailer weighs 2700# with a 3700# GVW which I don’t think I’ll ever get to.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes A180, Toyota RAV4, 2020 Rubicon UL 4dr
My Aussie spec JLUR is rated to tow 5500lb (All Australian spec JL's are as they'd never sell any here otherwise), I have a 2" hitch and a RedArc brake controller, I also have airbags in the back to stop the sag when loaded up with my camper etc, it also helps the jeep sit flatter on road with a load on. I think you'll have no trouble with 3500lb, even my 2 door JK was legal to tow that much and did with no problems. My Jeep is on 34's with 2" lift.

edit *** YOUR GEARING MAY SUCK WHEN TOWING ***
I’m very curious about how your hitch is mounted to the JL. Is it possible to snap a few photos of the hitch? I’d really appreciate it.
I’m going to be towing a Lance 1475 with a ’21 Rubicon. Trailer weighs 2700# with a 3700# GVW which I don’t think I’ll ever get to.
Thanks,
Paul

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Thanks,
Paul
It's getting cold and dark here now so will grab some pics tomorrow when the sun comes back up :)

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Thanks,
Paul
Aussie spec hitch is same part number as US spec. Exact same setup, no difference

Sponsored

Parnelli

First Name
Parnelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Hello fellow Jeepers, we just bought a 2 door rubicon, and are looking at an intech luna rover camper. Wondering if we should get a weight distribution hitch. Any insights?

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Don't be to sure you won't hit the trailers GVWR. Most published weights are very optimistic on the low side. Published weight does not usually include options, batteries, propane or water. You also need to add the weight of your WDH if you are using one. New campers should have a label with that units actual weight on the inside of a cabinet door. The only way to be sure is to load the Jeep and trailer ready to camp and run it over a scale. I'd recommend doing the Jeep alone and again with the trailer. If you want all the nasty details weigh each axle separately. It's more important to not overload the axles than it is to be over the combine vehicle weight rating.
Sponsored