Sponsored

Towing Capacity < 6000

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I was planning to trade in my JLU 3.6 for a Diesel 3.0 if the towing capacity was high enough, but it's looking grim. There are rumors online about it actually being less than the 3.6 (3500lbs). Today I saw this post which links to this document. On the last page of the document the JL is listed as being in the "LDT2" vehicle class and is defined at the top of the last page as < 6000 towing capacity. This does not give an exact number but if you were hoping for more than 6000 lbs it's not looking good.

I misread the document and took the "<6000" to mean towing capacity and it was really 6000lb LVW loaded vehicle weight. Thanks for clearing it up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeremi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKUR 5.7VVT
6000lb LVW loaded vehicle weight
I interpret that as GVW, curb weight plus payload. I would be very surprised if tow capacity went up much from 3500 but it was alluded to in reveal in Texas that it may.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
6000lb LVW loaded vehicle weight
I interpret that as GVW, curb weight plus payload. I would be very surprised if tow capacity went up much from 3500 but it was alluded to in reveal in Texas that it may.
Tow capacity isn’t really based on engine but on overall vehicle. Well the frame, brakes and suspension isn’t changing so I doubt tow will.
It’ll probably go down because of the heavier engine lol

Jeremi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKUR 5.7VVT
I agree, I did not allude it would go up Trevor Dorchies(sp?) did in Texas reveal, maybe he’s wrong or trying to build some extra excitement.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Sorry wasn’t meaning to quote you(our direct it at you), just reply to the thread and the silly thing auto quoted.

Sponsored

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Pretty sure the 2dr is limited due to the shorter wheelbase and the 4dr is limited to it being a convertible vehicle here in the US. It is certainly capable of towing much more as in Europe it is spec'd for a much higher capacity, although they measure differently. If you need to tow any significant load I would start looking at the Gladiator.

OP
OP
SuperSanta503

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I misread the document and took the "<6000" to mean towing capacity and it was really 6000lb LVW loaded vehicle weight. Thanks for clearing it up.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Pretty sure the 2dr is limited due to the shorter wheelbase and the 4dr is limited to it being a convertible vehicle here in the US. It is certainly capable of towing much more as in Europe it is spec'd for a much higher capacity, although they measure differently. If you need to tow any significant load I would start looking at the Gladiator.
It’s not so much that the aussies and Europeans measure differently...they require trailer brakes over certain weights and more importantly, they have towing speed limits which allow the same vehicle to avoid a decaying oscillation of a much higher trailer load. US vehicles have to stabilize loads up to 85mph which is vastly more difficult than 62mph/100kph, requiring a lower max tow rating.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Tow capacity isn’t really based on engine but on overall vehicle. Well the frame, brakes and suspension isn’t changing so I doubt tow will.
It’ll probably go down because of the heavier engine lol
The heavier engine will cause the payload capacity to go down, not the towing capacity.

I’d expect the towing to remain at 3,500 lbs

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The heavier engine will cause the payload capacity to go down, not the towing capacity.

I’d expect the towing to remain at 3,500 lbs
...or 5000 if you’re so inclined and keep the speed to 62mph with trailer brakes.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Towing at 85? That’s just crazy
Yea and we have to put up with tow ratings which account for people who do crazy things. Even worse, the unelected fourth branch is largely responsible for the system we have.
Sponsored