Towing a boat

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Sounds like your time in NC was perfect! All those species are great fighters, and delicious eaters! We do a little fresh water fishing when I want to give the engine a good flush. It's fun to hang some chunky large mouth also, but Florida has so many opportunities to box some slobs and it is just gorgeous watching the flying fish at sunrise. This is how we get down....

fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg
fish3.jpg
fish4.jpg

Backwater and ocean running, we go everywhere!
Man even when we are catching 15 inch slab crappie, 13-14 inch perch, and even 10 lb sloppy disgusting river cats ocean fishing just destroys freshwater. It’s just no comparison. None. Zero. If I lived near the ocean and bay waters I would never ever freshwater fish again. Never. Not even for big walleye.
Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Man even when we are catching 15 inch slab crappie, 13-14 inch perch, and even 10 lb sloppy disgusting river cats ocean fishing just destroys freshwater. It’s just no comparison. None. Zero. If I lived near the ocean and bay waters I would never ever freshwater fish again. Never. Not even for big walleye.
I feel ya man. I dip the boat in the lake every few months to bass fish just to do a good fresh flush even though every time I come off the water I wash my boat and flush the engine. Sometimes we do some gator or duck hunting out of the boat. That’s fun too. It’s kind of like hunting. I grew up squirrel hunting. After hog and deer hunting, squirrels just aren’t the same. I love everything about the ocean. Even on a rough day that I can’t get out I still enjoy going to the beach and appreciating it. If you ever make it down to the east coast of Florida looks me up. I’d be happy to have you on the boat. We always have a good time.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel ya man. I dip the boat in the lake every few months to bass fish just to do a good fresh flush even though every time I come off the water I wash my boat and flush the engine. Sometimes we do some gator or duck hunting out of the boat. That’s fun too. It’s kind of like hunting. I grew up squirrel hunting. After hog and deer hunting, squirrels just aren’t the same. I love everything about the ocean. Even on a rough day that I can’t get out I still enjoy going to the beach and appreciating it. If you ever make it down to the east coast of Florida looks me up. I’d be happy to have you on the boat. We always have a good time.
Thanks man! I got to get down to the boat dealer and make a decision. I’m glad I didn’t rush it though cause I have been all over the place with what I really want and will use.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Thanks man! I got to get down to the boat dealer and make a decision. I’m glad I didn’t rush it though cause I have been all over the place with what I really want and will use.
Yea, that's smart. Take your time and get exactly what you want, that will meet the needs of all the adventures you want to go on. There wouldn't be anything worse than getting a bass boat that you ruin in the ocean.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see guys all the time putting in bass boats down in topsail. I always wondered if they were trying to venture out of the icw in them. Lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jimim

A hitch like that is pricey so you want a Hitch Receiver Lock to secure it to your JL. You will only have JL when you will be towing..... otherwise you will want to remove it..

Also, you need a container of waterproof, silicone grease to use on the ball / when towing.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-80916...words=waterproof+grease&qid=1630363847&sr=8-5
71nkz99cTwL._AC_SL1226_.jpg

With a 10"adjustable you will have LOTS of flexibility in regard to what you can deal with in regard to trailer tongue height.

I stress again... Just be sure whatever hitch you buy, you buy it from somewhere that accepts returns and you pay no return shipping charges.. This way you can look over and etc. and decide if the hitch is right/will do the deed for you. These things are heavy..

With that said you can try.... even use a bit and return at no cost... no return shipping fee if you need to send it back. Don't get stuck with a $220+- hitch that does not do the deed properly for you.
Sorry to bother you again. I’m just getting around to looking for the hitch. The jl has a 2 inch receiver right? The link you sent me says 2 inch. When I went to e-trailer cause my buddy wanted me to look at another brand also, b&w. When I put in my info they are showing me 2.5 inch. So I just want to double check.

Thanks so much! Going down after work to look at the boat again. I have to make a decision. There are zero boats around and next year is still tight. I should be jumping on this one bit I keep second guessing myself. I think I’m becoming cheap as I get older! Or maybe I’m growing up. Lol. I don’t know.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Sorry to bother you again. I’m just getting around to looking for the hitch. The jl has a 2 inch receiver right? The link you sent me says 2 inch. When I went to e-trailer cause my buddy wanted me to look at another brand also, b&w. When I put in my info they are showing me 2.5 inch. So I just want to double check.

Thanks so much! Going down after work to look at the boat again. I have to make a decision. There are zero boats around and next year is still tight. I should be jumping on this one bit I keep second guessing myself. I think I’m becoming cheap as I get older! Or maybe I’m growing up. Lol. I don’t know.
@jimim

JL/JLU has a 2" receiver.

Go easy on this boat purchase thing..... You will have plenty of time in the future to buy a boat...
Right now is probably the worse time to be buying any vehicle, new or used .... same with a boat.......

IF you are "second guessing" .... , etc. this should tell you to cool your jets so to speak... If that boat was a gal you were pursuing, I would tell you don't let your little head get you big head into trouble..

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Bill is right. Something like this shouldn't be causing this much heart/head ache. At any point buying a boat is going to be stressful because you want to buy something that is going to cover all the things you want to use it for, you want to get all the accessories you need/want for it, and you want it for a decent deal. The ONLY way a boat (bet on another thousand) is a good investment, is the investment into spending time with the family together on the water. Through our conversation it seems like you've got a lot of ideas on how you want to use your boat, many different applications. You're definitely going to need a boat that is versatile enough to withstand the rigors you're going to put it through. Are you still looking at the G3? I am super stoked for you in getting on the water more regularly! Jeeping and boating/fishing are my two favorite things! Good luck man!!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My wife is in corporate retail purchasing, and they call this "analysis paralysis," something I certainly tend to do with every purchase.

As long as you use the boat a lot, I'm sure you'll feel that it was one of your best purchases even if it's not perfect. It's one of the few purchases that open up a new venue for family time and R&R.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jimim

JL/JLU has a 2" receiver.

Go easy on this boat purchase thing..... You will have plenty of time in the future to buy a boat...
Right now is probably the worse time to be buying any vehicle, new or used .... same with a boat.......

IF you are "second guessing" .... , etc. this should tell you to cool your jets so to speak... If that boat was a gal you were pursuing, I would tell you don't let your little head get you big head into trouble..

Lol just like my dad always told me in high school and college. Lol

Yah the boat thing. I feel like a dirtbag every week for years now on my buddies’ boats. And my kids love to fish. We take them with us cause don’t mind. And it’s them asking me not me asking but I feel even worse then. My wife likes to fish also. We have always talked about getting one bit said it has to be with cash. So we have been putting money aside from regualr saving so it’s finally there.

I Deff know what I want. I know that now.

The exact boat is on the lot now. Not more than what I need but what I want. They are letting me upgrade the trolling motor to exactly what I want but actually 600 cheaper than it should be and the boat is actually discounted 1000 right now. So it isn’t actually a bad deal.

I just can’t seem to want to write that check. I keep saying what if one of us loose our jobs (prob won’t happen but it can).

My wife is the rational one. Never ever says yah just do it. Always wants to pack it away. But she even thinks we should take this one if it’s exactly what I think it is or order one for next season but it will be more. So she is good with it which tells me it’s ok but for some reason I’m second guessing myself.

All I know is this boat thing went from a simple 16 foot John with a console to a fully rigged out bass rig and now me thinking bay vs bass. I think that is what’s playing in my head.

And I totally know a boat is a horrible investment. I get that. I want this to be a 1 and done but I also want to be able to do this now and enjoy it with my family rather than later when they are older and want to be with friends vs us.

Sorry I’m going on and on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you'll be fine. I have a '21 JLUR with a 3.6 MT. I tow a 17' bay boat with a 90hp. Loaded weight is around 2600lbs. I have no issues, a little sluggish off the line, likely more of a MT issue, but I'm never in a hurry anyway. If you're new to towing a boat just take it slowly, seems like you have a handle on that. When launching small corrections are all that are necessary. Take pics! Your Jeep will look that much better with your boat behind it!
Jeepandboat.jpg
I ordered my boat. I actually ended up throwing more money at it and bought a vexus avx 181. 75 merc, ultrex mdi with ipilot link, helix 9 msi+ for now.

When I looked at one last week. I was sold. Best built aluminum boat I have seen. The live well and all containers are fiberglass vs plastic. Automotive paint vs typical marine layered paint. Comes already with a good stainless prop. Hydrolic steering standard. Navigation lights are built in now. Only 1 stupid light pole to worry about. A bunch of other things that I thought made it a better boat. Just wanted to share. I have my order in and deposit down. They r building it for March 1st. Only company that even offered that to me. They are a pretty awesome company from the sound of it. So we will see. Once it comes in cut them a check and off I go. I’m hoping to have enough funny money built up to add a helix 10 or 12 also.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife is in corporate retail purchasing, and they call this "analysis paralysis," something I certainly tend to do with every purchase.

As long as you use the boat a lot, I'm sure you'll feel that it was one of your best purchases even if it's not perfect. It's one of the few purchases that open up a new venue for family time and R&R.
Sorry I missed this. I fish a lot. At least 3 times a week from March till ice with my buddies. We take the kids. My wife and myself like to take the yaks out to fish. My other buddy lives on the Susquehanna river and we all my wife and kids included love to cat fish at night. So much fun. Fire, beer, lots of mud, poles flying out of rod holders. Good times.

The boat will Deff Get used. I should have bought 1 years ago but never was able to have the cash for an “unneeded purchase”.

I’m pretty psyched. When I retire hopefully the bass boat will turn into a offshore bay boat.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I ordered my boat. I actually ended up throwing more money at it and bought a vexus avx 181. 75 merc, ultrex mdi with ipilot link, helix 9 msi+ for now.

When I looked at one last week. I was sold. Best built aluminum boat I have seen. The live well and all containers are fiberglass vs plastic. Automotive paint vs typical marine layered paint. Comes already with a good stainless prop. Hydrolic steering standard. Navigation lights are built in now. Only 1 stupid light pole to worry about. A bunch of other things that I thought made it a better boat. Just wanted to share. I have my order in and deposit down. They r building it for March 1st. Only company that even offered that to me. They are a pretty awesome company from the sound of it. So we will see. Once it comes in cut them a check and off I go. I’m hoping to have enough funny money built up to add a helix 10 or 12 also.
Congrats, what’s the ETA?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU

That’s awesome man! Congrats!! How are the seals for saltwater? Plumbing on live wells sounds superior, nice to get rid of light poles. I run a helix 7, all I need until I upgrade to a SIMRAD. You’re going to get so much use out of that thing! Very exciting for you and your family. Can’t wait to see pics when it comes in! Cheers man

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats, what’s the ETA?
I told them I want it for March 1st. season is almost over and build time is 8-12 weeks so that’s winter. Might as well get it for ice off. March first will be a safe bet. 2 years ago we were on the water by feb 17th but that was a rare magical pan fish year. Lol
Sponsored