Towing over 3500 lb boat

Edo-Vegas

First Name
Edgar M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Hello , im heading to Sand Hallow from Vegas about 130 miles and 90 degree heat , boat with no fuel in it weights about 3900 pounds trailer and gear included , plus two adults one three year old and about 60lbs of stuff in Jeep. I have alot of experience in towing and before the trip I towed the same setup to get a feel for it.

Power is enough where it's not struggling or over heating any of the components.

Braking is fine since trailer has new brakes and workes well.

Steering is a bit loose and not very solid feeling but I'd say it's a Jeep thing , even without towing doesn't feel tight or planted . I grip the wheel a bit firmer then usual just to be on the safe side and control better , but it's not horrible or a nervous feeling.

I'm surprised the rear didnt squat that much id say about 2 inchs max . While towing on the freeway the whole car seems solid and never feels like the setup is overwhelming.

All in all I feel confident and comfortable towing with the jeep . With any towing just be more cautious and keep a safe distance.

Be safe out there and enjoy your Jeeps.

IMG_20200425_152457517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200425_195436447.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I tow pretty much the same boat, bayliner 192, and it does just fine. I never take it on the highway though. I’ve got my popcorn ready, waiting for this thread to explode with experts on towing. :CWL:

OP
OP
Edo-Vegas

Edo-Vegas

First Name
Edgar M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I tow pretty much the same boat, bayliner 192, and it does just fine. I never take it on the highway though. I’ve got my popcorn ready, waiting for this thread to explode with experts on towing. :CWL:
Boats are easier to tow , I adjusted so the boat sits more towards the rear a bit , not to much just enough to balance it nicely for the Jeep. Although I know the jeep can tow np but for longer trips I use another tow car.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Towing our travel trailer I use a weight distribution hitch to restore some of the weight back onto the steering axle. It makes a huge difference in handling. I’ve never seen a boat trailer with WD, but I’m not sure why it isn’t used?

OP
OP
Edo-Vegas

Edo-Vegas

First Name
Edgar M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
So my boat and trailer are 3900 lbs with no fuel but my Tongue weight is only 310 , plus boat is more arodynamic. When I used my Ram rebel for towing it always towed heavy big boats better than RVs or horse trailers , that weight less.
Sponsored