Sponsored

Tires chipping?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Do any of you experience chipping of tires when off-roading? If so, under what conditions? I've seen reviews on the Falken M/Ts having the issue but the majority of folks reporting this issue state that they really abuse the tires on rocks, and that Falken is generally cool with warrantying them by offering a major discount on future purchases. My question is: do you guys that rock crawl or go on sharp terrain experience chipping? I've read a couple accounts of BFGs having weaker sidewalls and slicing (including the thread above this one), Nittos wearing down too fast, and basically every tire having a "known" issue. I've also read lots of great reviews on all the big tire names/models, including Falkens. I'd think that when rock crawling you'll lose chips of tires from the sheer friction of spinning tires on less-than-smooth rock. Anyone care to share experiences? Mine is not too bad, only on one side that got hugged against a rock. But it's still within 2k miles and concerning.
Sponsored

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Took mine on a rock trail and one of the tires has 2 chunks missing plus cracking fault line. they're toyo RT's. They do very well on road but questioning off road use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Took my on a rock trail and one of the tires has 2 chunks missing plus cracking fault line. they're toyo RT's. They do very well on road but questioning off road use.
Apparently Nittos are the same when off roading. Luckily I dont do lots of rocks but still

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Very common for your tires to just get chewed up on a trail special trails with sharp edges and low traction which results in your doing burnouts on the sharp rocks. The height of the tread lugs plays a part taller thinner tread bits will break off more easily. And the stiffness of the rubber plays a part, for a street tire you want to have a stiff compound because you want it to be durable and last a long time on pavement but it does not flex as easily which can be a problem on rocks aired down where your traction is coming in part to the tire molding around the rock and the lugs gripping to the edges of the rock. Softer compounds tend to hold up to that abuse better but their road wear is just utter shit.

Most average MT tire tries to fall in the middle of hard and soft more so on the hard side as most the people that are buying the tires are going to do mostly street driving and a trails every once and a while, most aggressive tires meant for buggies will come with a special sticky compound that has a very soft rubber for the tread

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Very common for your tires to just get chewed up on a trail special trails with sharp edges and low traction which results in your doing burnouts on the sharp rocks. The height of the tread lugs plays a part taller thinner tread bits will break off more easily. And the stiffness of the rubber plays a part, for a street tire you want to have a stiff compound because you want it to be durable and last a long time on pavement but it does not flex as easily which can be a problem on rocks aired down where your traction is coming in part to the tire molding around the rock and the lugs gripping to the edges of the rock. Softer compounds tend to hold up to that abuse better but their road wear is just utter shit.

Most average MT tire tries to fall in the middle of hard and soft more so on the hard side as most the people that are buying the tires are going to do mostly street driving and a trails every once and a while, most aggressive tires meant for buggies will come with a special sticky compound that has a very soft rubber for the tread
This:fist bump: that’s why I chose Ridge grapplers over Trail grapplers.
Sponsored