Sponsored

Tire pressure

SonofaSeabee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Diesel
Current setup: 2023 JLU Willys Diesel, stock Firestone Destination M/T, 255/75/17 Load C, pressure at 37 psi per door sticker.
Will be changing out tires to Toyo Open Country AT3, 285/75/17 Load C.
What pressure should I roll at on usual pavement? If Jeep is programmed for 37 psi, and new tires are to be run below this by a few lbs, will jeep computer scream at me with warning lights to air up?
Thanks
Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Set them to 33 lbs and you’ll be good. Maybe do the “chalk test” too if you think it would be warranted. 👍😊

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Current setup: 2023 JLU Willys Diesel, stock Firestone Destination M/T, 255/75/17 Load C, pressure at 37 psi per door sticker.
Will be changing out tires to Toyo Open Country AT3, 285/75/17 Load C.
What pressure should I roll at on usual pavement? If Jeep is programmed for 37 psi, and new tires are to be run below this by a few lbs, will jeep computer scream at me with warning lights to air up?
Thanks
Set all tire pressues to 32#psi or 33psi.

In Florida you will be aok running with 32 or 33, year round.

Important: You want to set your tire pressures in the AM before you use your JL and before the hot Sun starts beating down on the tires.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Don't take anyone else's PSI unless they have the same tires and have the same weight Jeep. Do a chalk test to determine exactly what PSI is best for your Jeep.

IIRC the stock TPMS will put up a warning below 32 PSI. If you get a Tazer you can lower that warning threshold down to 25 PSI. If you need to run your PSI that low you probably have different sized tires and need to recalibrate your speedometer too, which the Tazer can do as well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't take anyone else's PSI unless they have the same tires and have the same weight Jeep. Do a chalk test to determine exactly what PSI is best for your Jeep.

IIRC the stock TPMS will put up a warning below 32 PSI. If you get a Tazer you can lower that warning threshold down to 25 PSI. If you need to run your PSI that low you probably have different sized tires and need to recalibrate your speedometer too, which the Tazer can do as well.
The Op, @SonofaSeabee is running a stock JL so psi's mentioned in this thread would be acceptable/would be typically recommended by those that are knowledgeable, considering his geographical location, knowing the vehicle in question... to include exact tires on the vehicle.

Yes, once his JL is not stock, for sure chalk testing is very important. For now though, sure you can do but not a must by any means.

Op.... Do not run out and buy a Tazer JL.... do your homework then opt on the best solution to get your speedometer reading correctly, etc..

Sponsored

OP
OP

SonofaSeabee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Diesel
Thank you to all that have replied, much appreciated. My tire install will be done by local shop. Is the speedo recalibration only a dealer can do thing?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you to all that have replied, much appreciated. My tire install will be done by local shop. Is the speedo recalibration only a dealer can do thing?
@SonofaSeabee

Jeep Dealer (not local tire shop, etc.) can do at a cost of approx $125 or so. For some, the dealer doing is the way to go, if they do not want to spend time fooling with programming tools where you would do the speedo recalibration yourself.

IF you decide to not use the dealer, forum research using the words, JSCAN and Tazer JL.
Going with JSCAN or with a Tazer JL will cost you between $100 and $350.00 depending which you go with. There is a learning curve involved with both offerings. There are other programming tools out there but I think they are for the most part half backed/problematic.

IF, if you are a retired, non-techy guy and all you will be doing is adding different tires and do not plan on doing other programming.... and again.... you aren't much into computer techy stuff, then just have the dealer do the speedo adjustment.

If you want to have a a tool do the ESS button push for you buy, a SmartStopStart unit. Very easy to install for anyone. No special skills or tech savvy necessary.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-smartstopstart-not-tazer.85812/post-1792994

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@SonofaSeabee

Jeep Dealer (not local tire shop, etc.) can do at a cost of approx $125 or so. For some, the dealer doing is the way to go, if they do not want to spend time fooling with programming tools where you would do the speedo recalibration yourself.

IF you decide to not use the dealer, forum research using the words, JSCAN and Tazer JL.
Going with JSCAN or with a Tazer JL will cost you between $100 and $350.00 depending which you go with. There is a learning curve involved with both offerings. There are other programming tools out there but I think they are for the most part half backed/problematic.

IF, if you are a retired, non-techy guy and all you will be doing is adding different tires and do not plan on doing other programming.... and again.... you aren't much into computer techy stuff, then just have the dealer do the speedo adjustment.

If you want to have a a tool do the ESS button push for you buy, a SmartStopStart unit. Very easy to install for anyone. No special skills or tech savvy necessary.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-smartstopstart-not-tazer.85812/post-1792994
The dealer is generally the worst way to go when it comes to PSI. For some reason many dealers seem to think tires should be at 40 PSI. They do come from the factory at 40 PSI but that is only to prevent possible flat spotting during storage & transport and to maximize MPG ratings (at the expense of uneven long term tire wear).

The door PSI sticker also applies to every stock tire option available on the JL. It's generic and only generically accurate. Only a chalk test will tell you the optimal PSI for your tires.

ashegam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2DR Willys Sports
for anyone wondering what the "chalk test" is, like I did, check out the following,

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer is generally the worst way to go when it comes to PSI. For some reason many dealers seem to think tires should be at 40 PSI. They do come from the factory at 40 PSI but that is only to prevent possible flat spotting during storage & transport and to maximize MPG ratings (at the expense of uneven long term tire wear).

The door PSI sticker also applies to every stock tire option available on the JL. It's generic and only generically accurate. Only a chalk test will tell you the optimal PSI for your tires.
I do agree with you in regard to the dealer and door sticker yada yada you post.

You are the one that suddenly is talking dealer and door sticker... I did not spew dealer or sticker...

I do agree with you though... for sure chalk testing is ideal.... but chalk testing is not something I spew to a guy that owns a a stock JL... a JL just like a zillion other guys here... many of those guys that have chalk tested.. Again, chalk testing is ideal but..

Most knowledgeable JL owner's here know the optimum psi to run on a particular stock JL with stock JL wheels in a given geographical location. I know I do.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are the one that suddenly is talking dealer and door sticker... I did not spew dealer or sticker...
You did say "For some, the dealer doing is the way to go". Just sayin.

Again, chalk testing is ideal but..
But it's incredibly easy to do! So easy that it's great to have kids do it (except maybe the driving 100' part). Seriously, name one person capable of driving a Jeep who can't perform a chalk test.

Most knowledgeable JL owner's here know the optimum psi to run on a particular stock JL with stock JL wheels in a given geographical location. I know I do.
You have no way of knowing how much (or little) stuff they put in their Jeep, hard top or soft top, etc. Are you really calculating ambient air pressure and temperature's effect on optimum PSI? That can vary it by up to 8 PSI. No, you're not.

But all those variables are ultimately moot. Do an end run around all those details and go literally to where the rubber meets the road. A chalk test is both easy and accurate. Assuming someone is better off not doing a chalk test is borderline insulting to their intelligence. My mother can do a chalk test and she's 84 y/o with no mechanical experience.
Sponsored