Tire error-psi fine-sensor issue?

donseeley

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Here’s the deal: I’m running 35’s. Had my JL for a few months. Today the tire system warning went on and it’s not detecting anything in the front right tire. It’s red with no psi listed. Manuallly checked all tires and they’re fine. Is there a way to reset the system without going to the dealer?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
No way to reset as the TPMS system is supposed to relearn automatically, you may have bad sensor, are wheels, tires and sensors all OEM

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@donseeley

No there is no way to reset the TPMS.

Good chance it is just the TPMS sensor in that wheel has chitt the bed versus one of the JL's three TPMS chassis sensors having chitt the bed.

If you want to work a little, you can do a tire rotation and see if that one wheel still shows up as MIA when it is in another location.

Another thing you can do is put your spare on in the position where that TPMS is MIA. Of course, you need a TPMS sensor in that spare. Stock JL's have a TPMS sensor in the spare.

You could have a tire store scan and see if the TPMS is alive in that one wheel. Only takes a second and they probably won't charge you to do a quick hand scan. I myself like the way to check I mentioned earlier though, as that really lets you zero in and be sure it is not a chassis sensor.

Anyway, do as above and you will know what's up... again, probably the TPMS chitt the bed.

By the way, not sure if you know how the JL's TPMS works, so read below:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

There are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, within seconds of a tire rotation for example.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
@donseeley

By the way, not sure if you know how the JL's TPMS works, so read below:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

There are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Do the TPMS sensors send the PSI info to the chassis sensors or the Wireless Control Module?

Still not understang how the 4th TPMS psi is read without a chassis sensor to read it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My guess with the spare is it’s to far away from any of the sensors but it’s just a guess, my issues with TPMS are most likely associated with aftermarket wheels and maybe sensors but some here have reported TPMS no showing some pressures after going to aftermarket wheels with a deep offset even with OEM sensors, my wheels and sensors are both aftermarket and my wheel offset is a -12 so they stick out a lot further than factory, I do see all my pressures but the idiot light for the TPMS system is on indicating a problem that I have kinda researched it down to a possible chassis sensor issue as I had all tire sensors scanned and they all read, my idiot light blinks for approx 90 secs then goes to a steady light but all pressures show up and indicate fairly correct pressure.

I did use my Tazer to turn off the TPMS system and adjust tire pressure alarms to 25# front/rear and it turned off the idiot light but all pressures were still available thru the EVIC ( dash display ) then today I attempted to do a few reboots on the Tazer to get the idiot light to stay clear with the TPMS system on but it never went out so I turned off the TPMS with the Tazer but again but then the display showing the vehicle and all tire pressures was gone like it was never a option so I turned the TPMS system back on and the tire pressure display returned, @Rhinebeck01 i know you have chatted with @joe@zauto on several things so the next time you chat with him ask him if by turning off the TPMS system with the Tazer if it’s supposed to remove the display from the EVIC, not like not pressures displayed the actual display showing a vehicle with tires and pressures was gone as a choice when turning off the TPMS thru Tazer but the time before doing this it did not so trying to figure out what he wrote into the programming routine what it’s supposed to do.
Sponsored