Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I am switching to 35 in Duratracs from my stock KO2s and keeping my OEM wheels . The Tire place I have used for years won’t do it. Says he is not allowed. I went to a small local tire only place that a lot of people say good things about. Super Nice guys and said no problem they will do it. I asked him about balancing and he says he uses beads in the big tires. I am not sure I like this idea and I am tempted to cancel the order. I thought I might go talk to him again on Monday and ask him what plan would be if the balance beads don’t work to my satisfaction. I wanted to get some feedback from the guys on the forum also. I have read mixed reviews , but many were several years old. Any more current thoughts on this?
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I am switching to 35 in Duratracs from my stock KO2s and keeping my OEM wheels . The Tire place I have used for years won’t do it. Says he is not allowed. I went to a small local tire only place that a lot of people say good things about. Super Nice guys and said no problem they will do it. I asked him about balancing and he says he uses beads in the big tires. I am not sure I like this idea and I am tempted to cancel the order. I thought I might go talk to him again on Monday and ask him what plan would be if the balance beads don’t work to my satisfaction. I wanted to get some feedback from the guys on the forum also. I have read mixed reviews , but many were several years old. Any more current thoughts on this?
I just had 37s (Patagonia M/T) mounted with beads. They are balanced and ride smooth. The guy I dealt with at the shop said 37s might not all balance well, so I decided to pay for the beads. This shop is great to deal with so I had no problem paying a little extra. At this point I'm glad I did. As with most things, YMMV.

OP
OP
shekmark

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My follow up. They wound up not using beads. They did regular weights. Have not been over 50 mph yet but so far it’s fine.

scottiea11

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Jl 4DR 2018
My follow up. They wound up not using beads. They did regular weights. Have not been over 50 mph yet but so far it’s fine.
Could you follow up on results? What was their reason for not using beads. If you can share. Thanks!

OP
OP
shekmark

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Could you follow up on results? What was their reason for not using beads. If you can share. Thanks!
They just decided to balance like normal. Ha. Who knows. Maybe they were out of beads that day. Result... excellent. These Duratracs run so smooth all the way to 90 mph. Maybe higher, but have not tried. That is on stock rims and now my AEV rims. Same tires. Same great balance.

scottiea11

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Jl 4DR 2018
They just decided to balance like normal. Ha. Who knows. Maybe they were out of beads that day. Result... excellent. These Duratracs run so smooth all the way to 90 mph. Maybe higher, but have not tried. That is on stock rims and now my AEV rims. Same tires. Same great balance.
Gotcha, well I’ll be hoping I have the same experience with balancing beads. Installed 37s and KMC Beadlocks today. Went up to 85 with no problem. Went smooth, hoping it stays that way. I was told beads would be better based off rotation schedule. To be determined
Sponsored