gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone used the counterbalance silicon beads to balance new tires? Is the conventional lead weight method better or worse than the beads? Also, if I ask the mechanic to keep the weights on the inside of the wheel, am I doing myself a disservice (read a few conflicting reviews and op-Eds about which method of applying weights to wheels for balancing is best)?
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Beads will correct radial imbalance, but they won't help with axial (side to side) imbalance. Personally I would use beads on mud terrain type tires. The change in tread from wear and tear can easily change the balance, and the dynamic behavior of the beads will compensate for this. Just make sure you use quality wheels and tires with good axial balance to begin with. If you're talking about all season type tires like on the Sahara, I would use weights.

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at a few of the hybrid options in 35x12.5 r20 from nitto, toyo, dick cepek, and fury on some nice 20x9 or 20x10 wheels (JLUR on its way). I’m reading and watching you tube videos and it there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews. I’ve only ever used weights, but I get the science (kinda reminds me of sand in my old big green machine when I was growing up). Thanks for the input. Thought on hybrid tires?

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That was hybrid tires and balancing methods?
Sponsored