Tire/backup camera dilemma

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU , 2017 GC Limited
So I put on 285/70/17 with the American Racing bajas -12mm offset today.

Idk if anyone else is having this problem. But the rim of my wheel is directly obstructing the bottom half of my camera and seems to be driving the distance sensor absolutely mad.

Anyone else experience this? TIA!
Sponsored

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Just put on 35's today with the same offset and yes it won't shut up!

I think it may have to do with the sensors picking up on the tire. I turned off the parking help grid lines and it still buzzes. So I am not 100% sold the camera is causing the issue.

Did you find a way to make it stop?

OP
OP
JLUColorado

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are working on it right now. I think it is the overhang from the tire. Ill keep you posted!

Also, the U the tire gives the camera is livable - its just that damn sensor!

stay tuned...

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
They are working on it right now. I think it is the overhang from the tire. Ill keep you posted!

Also, the U the tire gives the camera is livable - its just that damn sensor!

stay tuned...
Who do you have working on it? Just intereted to know what might be going on!

Yeah the tire overhang is all good. Just the "you want to hear the most annoying sound in the world" I could do with out :)

OP
OP
JLUColorado

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The guys at www.greeneyedmotors.com, where I work. Cary (master tech), wheels some crazy Jeeps.

Short version is itā€™s all fixed. Except, my day ran late to figure out how. If it were my guess? Iā€™d say he spaced it out further. But Iā€™ll know more tomorrow!

Sponsored

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
The guys at www.greeneyedmotors.com, where I work. Cary (master tech), wheels some crazy Jeeps.

Short version is itā€™s all fixed. Except, my day ran late to figure out how. If it were my guess? Iā€™d say he spaced it out further. But Iā€™ll know more tomorrow!
If you do happen to take a look I would love to know how he did it :)

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase

Thought I would check in one more time before I head out to the garage to start yanking things apart. You happen to see what he did?

OP
OP
JLUColorado

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey sorry for the delay. He was on vacation.

He jerry rigged it with a spacer he had from misc. parts from his XJ. Nothing to write home about. Not a long term solution, and I have to say - doesnā€™t work 100% of the time. I would probably invest in the quadratec replacement just to have it permanently go away.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 315/70's on Fuel Vectors and I can see the wheel, but no buzzing or issues with the lines...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLUColorado

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got 315/70's on Fuel Vectors and I can see the wheel, but no buzzing or issues with the lines...
So I initially posted this because I knew that other people had added wheels & tires well before I had. No one mentioned this being an issue.

I thought maybe the offset? Or just a funny issue with my bumper that should be checked with Jeep? Iā€™ve covered every scenario. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
So I initially posted this because I knew that other people had added wheels & tires well before I had. No one mentioned this being an issue.

I thought maybe the offset? Or just a funny issue with my bumper that should be checked with Jeep? Iā€™ve covered every scenario. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Question, are you running the Mopar HD carrier or the factory tire carrier? Iā€™m trying to get a handle on what Iā€™ll be up against when it comes to mount up my 37ā€™s on 17x8.5 Fuel Trophy wheels which are -6 offset.

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I pulled my tire carrier off and stripped it to see if I could space the camera out or adjust it upwards. I couldn't do either with the limited time I had.

I am sure companies will come out with a solution for it. For now I'll wait...

OP
OP
JLUColorado

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question, are you running the Mopar HD carrier or the factory tire carrier? Iā€™m trying to get a handle on what Iā€™ll be up against when it comes to mount up my 37ā€™s on 17x8.5 Fuel Trophy wheels which are -6 offset.
First of all. Badass set up. Please share photos. I am using whatever stock carrier supplied from manufacturer. Most likely, Iā€™ll end up going with a new rear bumper anyway, so the occasional beep may be on notice.

Slaughter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Rubicon
I put 35" tires on mine today, the bottom of the rim also is showing up in my backup cam and its annoying as hell. The place that did the wheels didn't know how to fix it, but are going to research it. I called the local dealership and they had no clue either, sounded like they hadn't installed any 35"s on the new JL yet either, so it looks like it might be a waiting game. I wish they fix this soon as its already driving me crazy...and I've only had them on for 3 hours.

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG
Sponsored