The Non-Rubicon Jl & JLU Thread

Berg Bua

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn Willys
Yah the Willys is suppose to be more of a bare bones kind of Jeep, lightly optioned sport with Rubi looks

So when you're out 4-wheeln, are leather seats easier to keep clean than cloth?
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Ive had many vehicles with leather and my personal answer to that is no. Keeping leather in tip top shape takes work, it’s a real PITA honestly. People will chime in and say it’s not but their rigs are only a year old so yeah they aren’t there yet. Time will take its toll if not cared for properly. This is my first vehicle with cloths seats in a long time and I’m starting to remember why cloths seats are so awesome. Of course I have seat covers over mine but they are generally duty free.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
So as a total newb (not YET a Wrangler driver), is it overkill for me to buy a Rubi vs the Willys or Sport S? Live in Oregon and want to drive the many BLM and US Forest service areas. Expect a combo of in-town, snowy ski trips and overland.
If you plan to spend a lot of time on trails, buy a Rubicon. It is built specifically for this. If you plan to spend most of your time on the road and on some light trails, any model will work.

I don't plan to buy a Rubicon because I will be using my Jeep on hilly, rough, rural roads. I won't need the bigger axles and improved gearing, etc. that the Rubicon has. That is just me. Your needs may be different.

In general, be clear on how you plan to use your Jeep before you purchase.

Ugh...

I was quite happy with my life. Things were going well. I didn't plan to get bitten by the Jeep bug. Now it has infected me.

I was on my way to the beach on Saturday. I was in a good mood. Then this limited edition Jeep drove past me on the highway. After market fenders, after market bumpers, 35' or 37' wheels and a moderate lift. Why won't they leave me alone???

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Leather looks nice, easy to wipe the dust off but like what @MORTON said the upkeep is a lot of work. There is also the joy of getting scaled by the seats after sitting in the sun with the top down lol

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Few pics from last Sunday on Drummond island with my brother in the JK and my buddy with the blue JL

38C64CBD-C332-4EA1-8CC9-32C5A40A2BA5.jpeg

17DE876E-A389-41DF-83C7-C5FFB4F0D3F7.jpeg

AD9F732C-38F0-4BEE-A036-3516AFF1711A.jpeg

8174800A-4768-40B0-933F-D192690C1FF3.jpeg

545C692B-81A7-4322-82A7-AF32681BD6F3.jpeg

F992DCF1-6F7F-400C-A185-F0B17F1091C7.jpeg

9C93A938-21C6-4FB9-9040-BE85BDB0D535.jpeg

0920CD8F-7E2F-4DFF-A2CC-A90A9B22D42F.jpeg

36BA31F7-C36E-4265-AB82-E0D78AD40BF6.png

Sponsored

Berg Bua

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn Willys
Leather looks nice, easy to wipe the dust off but like what @MORTON said the upkeep is a lot of work. There is also the joy of getting scaled by the seats after sitting in the sun with the top down lol

LOL - 'Scaled by the seats...'

Berg Bua

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn Willys
Ive had many vehicles with leather and my personal answer to that is no. Keeping leather in tip top shape takes work, it’s a real PITA honestly. People will chime in and say it’s not but their rigs are only a year old so yeah they aren’t there yet. Time will take its toll if not cared for properly. This is my first vehicle with cloths seats in a long time and I’m starting to remember why cloths seats are so awesome. Of course I have seat covers over mine but they are generally duty free.

Morton - Thanks for the reality check

Berg Bua

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn Willys
If you plan to spend a lot of time on trails, buy a Rubicon. It is built specifically for this. If you plan to spend most of your time on the road and on some light trails, any model will work.

I don't plan to buy a Rubicon because I will be using my Jeep on hilly, rough, rural roads. I won't need the bigger axles and improved gearing, etc. that the Rubicon has. That is just me. Your needs may be different.

In general, be clear on how you plan to use your Jeep before you purchase.

Ugh...

I was quite happy with my life. Things were going well. I didn't plan to get bitten by the Jeep bug. Now it has infected me.

I was on my way to the beach on Saturday. I was in a good mood. Then this limited edition Jeep drove past me on the highway. After market fenders, after market bumpers, 35' or 37' wheels and a moderate lift. Why won't they leave me alone???

Thx for the guidance ! LOL - many of us suffer from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) - I'm one of them

Sponsored

Berg Bua

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkn Willys
A stock Sport will scare the shit out of you with it's capabilities. Remember all Jeeps are trail rated right out of Toledo.

I see what you're talking about - the stock JL did remarkably well on that 3á´żá´° obstacle. ...I believe a "stock" Willys with LT255/75R17Cs / limited slip should go over most anything I'm likely to attempt.

EJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport Altitude
Would love a Rubi but truth is I use my Wrangler first as a daily driver, secondarily I get it for snow and off road is the least use it will get. I do off road but not a lot and not on intense trails.

I went with a 2019 Unlimited Sports S Altitude. I love the all black of the Altitude package, I also got the cold weather, tech & safety groups. It's a lease so in 3 years I may go for a Rubi or Sahara, the one option I really want is the one touch top. Let's see what they will have available when my lease is up, for now I am loving my Sport.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
A stock Sport will scare the shit out of you with it's capabilities. Remember all Jeeps are trail rated right out of Toledo.
I really like Ryan's approach. He starts with a Sport and then gradually turns it into a serious offroading machine. He does a lot of videos featuring modifications to Sport and Sport S Jeeps on Extreme Terrain's Youtube page. Not everyone has the ability to take complex topics and explain them in simple terms so everyone can understand.

I am just waiting patiently for him to start the modifications on the JL.

Cure4Jen

First Name
Jen & Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Newbie Jeeper Questions for first time off road

My service dog and I regularly travel ~3 hours or so and typically stay near base of mountains in NY which can only be accessed with 4x4 to keep out the riff raff.
I am concerned with the stock highway tires that unknowingly came with as I literally have to go over a river and through the woods. Our typical vehicle access to our slice of heaven has been via 2nd gen Xterra and lifted trucks almost always requiring 4WD. I'm really hoping the stock Sport S is a big step up from the X. I'm looking forward to breaking in and slowly customizing! Any tips or advice always welcome and greatly appreciated.

For the curious ones, my 2nd gen Xterra finally passed on in August, the last straw in a summer of vehicle problems... I picked up my custom order JLUS mid September. Stock (including highway tires, WTH), black freedom top, cold weather package, cloth seats. Installed snyper triple tube rails with step, rugged ridge door guards, passenger headrest fan for Kai. Upcoming Mods: Debadge (thanks for the how to!) trailer hitch receiver with wiring harness.

Mold is a four letter word
Toxic Mold kills
www.cure4jen.org
Sponsored

Last edited: