Sponsored

Temporary paint protection

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
Picking up my 392 from the dealer (hopefully) soon. I'm planning to use some temporary paint protection (like TrakkTape or similar) for the 400+ mile trip from the dealership home. Most states on the east coast put either gravel or salt on highways in the winter and I need something to protect the paint until I can get PPF installed.

Can someone tell me which areas of the Jeep get the most debris on them? (besides the obvious - front-facing surfaces of fender flares, grille and hood).

Note: I do NOT have an XR package on my 392, so I don't have the fender flare extensions.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can someone tell me which areas of the Jeep get the most debris on them? (besides the obvious - front-facing surfaces of fender flares, grille and hood).
You've pretty much have everything listed. I'd just add the door hinges and you should be all set.

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

No doors?
Might as well cover the entire vehicle if you are that worried.

Unless you're driving right next to a plow truck throwing down salt, I don't think you need to worry about the doors themselves. I live in the Northeast and drive my Wrangler all winter. I've never had anything damage my doors.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Personally, I just hit my Jeep with a dozen or so cans of:
Jeep Wrangler JL Temporary paint protection 3b246a0c-319f-4789-8ae4-e0a1d6955c9c

Then, just keep a few extras on hand for touch-ups. Doesn't do much for chips or cracks in the windshield, though...

There’sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Cheapest would be Blue 3M painters tape. It won't look the best but you cover any area you want and it'll easily remove once you're home. Also cover the entry rocker areas at bottom of doors to prevent scratches upon entering and exiting Jeep. I used a set of entry guards from Rugged Ridge. Easy install at dealer upon delivery. The best thing I've done so far to protect down the sides, doors/hinges/fenders, is installed a set of WeatherTech mud flaps. Super easy no drill install you could do in the dealers lot also upon delivery before you even leave the lot. I also have the plastic sticky tape hinge covers. Which if you don't like can be be easily removed once your home but give you great hinge protection. Many options that are not permanent.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The clear plastidip isn't a bad idea for a temporary cheaper alternative to PPF

For the windshield, I would recommend this film,sit's cheaper than having it professionally installed since you DIY it. But you'll need an indoor space or garage to do it well.

https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield

OP
OP
ek1

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
Cheapest would be Blue 3M painters tape. It won't look the best but you cover any area you want and it'll easily remove once you're home. Also cover the entry rocker areas at bottom of doors to prevent scratches upon entering and exiting Jeep. I used a set of entry guards from Rugged Ridge. Easy install at dealer upon delivery. The best thing I've done so far to protect down the sides, doors/hinges/fenders, is installed a set of WeatherTech mud flaps. Super easy no drill install you could do in the dealers lot also upon delivery before you even leave the lot. I also have the plastic sticky tape hinge covers. Which if you don't like can be be easily removed once your home but give you great hinge protection. Many options that are not permanent.
I already ordered the hinge covers and entry guards. The problem is that the Jeep will be sitting outside and with my luck it will be below freezing on the day I am picking it up, so applying anything with adhesive is out of the question. I'll ask them to put the Jeep indoors the night before, but its a large dealership so they probably won't care enough to do it. I also have a heat gun as a last resort :)

I watched the video of Weathertech mud flap install and it will be a cold day in hell before I'm going to do it in a parking lot when it's below freezing.

I got a 6" x 40FT roll of TrakkTape. Should be enough for grill/hood/fenders/doors

OP
OP
ek1

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
The clear plastidip isn't a bad idea for a temporary cheaper alternative to PPF

For the windshield, I would recommend this film,sit's cheaper than having it professionally installed since you DIY it. But you'll need an indoor space or garage to do it well.

https://www.grab-gard.com/products/jeep-wrangler-windshield
I had Clearplex film (which is what this kit uses) on 3 of my cars. It has pros and cons. The pro is, it definitely protects the windshield from damage, pitting, etc. The cons....there are several. Basically, they give you a pretty expensive solution (the ClearX) that you need to apply to the surface of the film every 2-3 months. The solution lubricates the film and prevents the wipers from scratching it. If you don't apply the solution every 2-3 months, the film gets damaged (scratched) and you have a lot of streaks from wipers. It's annoying as hell. Applying this film is like applying PPF. You have to know what you are doing, your windshield has to be new and undamaged, you have to make sure there are no bubbles, etc. It's a project. DEFINITELY not something you'd do in a dealership parking lot when taking delivery :)
Sponsored