Temperature inaccurate during remote start

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This has happened a few times now. I park my Jeep outside and use my remote start to warm it up. If it’s below 40 degrees outside, the heated seats and steering will come on along with the AC. However, after letting it start for about 10 min, I get in and the temp reads 50 degrees when it’s 31 outside. It was the first time that day I had driven it so the engine definitely wasn’t warmed up. It also hadn’t been above 35 degrees in the past 24 hours. Once I drove it for one minute down the street, the gauge dropped quickly to 30.

This completely defeats the purpose of having the Cold Weather package. Is anyone else having this problem?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It was night time when it happened. Why would it drop 20 degrees in a minute after being driven?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Ambient temps. If you are letting it sit idle, the air around the engine is warming. The sensors pick that up. But as you drive, air is replaced and more accurate

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The whole point of the Cold weather package is to let it idle and warm up. Why would they design it so idling would affect its ability to heat up the inside.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
The whole point of the Cold weather package is to let it idle and warm up. Why would they design it so idling would affect its ability to heat up the inside.
They can’t control science, man. Plus, 10 minutes should be enough time to warm this rig.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
They can’t control science, man. Plus, 10 minutes should be enough time to warm this rig.
They could put a thermostat away from the engine so it would give an accurate reading of the outside temp. The problem is my ac nor seats heat up during the 10 minutes. So no, it’s not warmed up after 10 minutes.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
They could put a thermostat away from the engine so it would give an accurate reading of the outside temp. The problem is my ac nor seats heat up during the 10 minutes. So no, it’s not warmed up after 10 minutes.
I read somewhere about why manufacturers put the sensor where they do, but I can’t find it now. Something about accuracy during driving and road conditions. The engine bay will even out faster than an area without airflow or consistent heat/cooling.

But I digress- if your seats don’t heat in 10 minutes- you have an issue. Mine heat within about a minutes. It’s a current coil, there isn’t a long warm up period. It’s not boiling water. As far as the engine goes, most studies say long idles are harmful, and typically an engine is best warmed during drive and not idle.

I only impart knowledge. Take it as you will.

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I read somewhere about why manufacturers put the sensor where they do, but I can’t find it now. Something about accuracy during driving and road conditions. The engine bay will even out faster than an area without airflow or consistent heat/cooling.

But I digress- if your seats don’t heat in 10 minutes- you have an issue. Mine heat within about a minutes. It’s a current coil, there isn’t a long warm up period. It’s not boiling water. As far as the engine goes, most studies say long idles are harmful, and typically an engine is best warmed during drive and not idle.

I only impart knowledge. Take it as you will.
I think you may be misunderstanding the problem. If it’s 30 degrees outside and the temp reads 50, my seats nor my AC will turn on with the remote start. I don’t care about warming up the engine. I remote start so interior warms up. But since it’s in accurate the interior stays cold.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think you may be misunderstanding the problem. If it’s 30 degrees outside and the temp reads 50, my seats nor my AC will turn on with the remote start. I don’t care about warming up the engine. I remote start so interior warms up. But since it’s in accurate the interior stays cold.
No, I understand. However, ambient temp is a real thing. Idle cars will always get false readings. Every car, unless it’s reading gps information vs sensor information. If you have the car in direct sunlight or idle it for a while, that temp will read incorrectly. As you noticed, it goes back to normal when you drive. That’s just how the laws of thermodynamics work.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I think the ambient temperature is less than 40 when you start it. Ten minutes later when you get in, the idle engine has raised it to 50. Once air is moving, you get a more accurate reading.
If when you get in after 10 minutes the cabin isn’t warm enough for you, either something is wrong, or your expectations are off. I’m not sure which yet.
If things are turning on, it seems to be working right. It’s not like they turn off at 41. You have to turn them off or down when you get in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just ran out and checked it without remote starting first. It’s 29 degrees outside and the Jeep has been off for 7 hours. Started it up and it immediately read 50 degrees again. Which means the seats and heat won’t turn on. Of course the cabin won’t be warm for me, the heat isn’t turning on automatically like it should when it’s cold out.

I think the ambient temperature is less than 40 when you start it. Ten minutes later when you get in, the idle engine has raised it to 50. Once air is moving, you get a more accurate reading.
If when you get in after 10 minutes the cabin isn’t warm enough for you, either something is wrong, or your expectations are off. I’m not sure which yet.
If things are turning on, it seems to be working right. It’s not like they turn off at 41. You have to turn them off or down when you get in.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Just ran out and checked it without remote starting first. It’s 29 degrees outside and the Jeep has been off for 7 hours. Started it up and it immediately read 50 degrees again. Which means the seats and heat won’t turn on. Of course the cabin won’t be warm for me, the heat isn’t turning on automatically like it should when it’s cold out.
Check in the settings in your radio to make sure that they are actually turned on. If they are, you have a problem. I believe there are settings for off, all starts, and remote starts. Hope this helps.
Sounds like you have an issue that should be checked though.

No1ramsfan

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Had this happen to me for the first time today. Only had the jeep for a week. Went out and it read 48 when it was 30 out. But later on when I got off work it read actuate, thank God because it was 20 out. Happens again it's going to the dealer.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Had this happen to me for the first time today. Only had the jeep for a week. Went out and it read 48 when it was 30 out. But later on when I got off work it read actuate, thank God because it was 20 out. Happens again it's going to the dealer.
:CWL: save yourself some embarrassment, dont bring your Jeep in for this...just sitting in the sun will skew your reading, there is no way around that.

There is also a big difference in actual temperature and "feels like" temperature.

...its really not that complex to understand what's happening.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
According to the manual, the heated seats and steering wheel turn on when less than 40 degrees. It states they remain on until you start the car. Doesn’t say it turns off after 40. I have this, and they’re normally on when I get in. I’d have to double check that.

what I’d be more concerned about is as you said in a post is cabin temperature. I’d have to check the manual, but any other vehicle I’ve had the AC comes on and stays on too with remote start. If after 10 minutes your cabin is freezing, that might be a problem. AFAIK, the console setting is only for the seats and SW.
Sponsored