Tazer Mini Questions

Tully21

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Today I unmarried, did the full reboot, and did the 2 cycles after I unmarried the Tazer. The radio now will not turn on or work after I unplugged the Tazer. So I can't see the heat settings or anything else. Plugged it back in without remarrying and it works again. Any ideas?

Also, the shop that installed it never gave me the box or instructions for it. It might be in need of an update, so how would I go about doing that?
Sponsored

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't know how the radio would be affected. I never have seen that issue. Wouldn't be the first time that a radio went a little wonky though. It probably isn't associated with the Tazer.

Updating is easy. Download the update program from zautomotive's website and plug the Tazer in with a micro-usb cable. Best to do so in the unmarried state. The program will pick up and scan the Tazer and give you the update option. So far update 11.4.2 has worked really well for me.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
After you removed the Tazer, did you plug in the plugs to the security gateway?

To update, download the Z automotive update/config software, plug in the Tazer to the computer via Mini-B USB, let it recognize the Tazer, select the firmware and update it, then plug it back into the Wrangler.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
You sure your not pulling the amp wires out?
@BigWorm

Some reading your comment may say huh.... what .... BUT, your comment really has merit.

It is not uncommon for a new Tazer JL user/installer to disconnect cables at the amp which is just below the security gateway.... thinking that those amp connectors were/are at the Security Gateway.

Tazer JL Mini installer wants to use the 2 connectors in the circled area in the pic below and not the connectors just below/under that shiny cross member in the pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Mini Questions gateway.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tully21

Tully21

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After you removed the Tazer, did you plug in the plugs to the security gateway?
No šŸ˜… Just took care of that now. I'll check to see if it works when I leave for work later. Thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Today I unmarried, did the full reboot, and did the 2 cycles after I unmarried the Tazer. The radio now will not turn on or work after I unplugged the Tazer. So I can't see the heat settings or anything else. Plugged it back in without remarrying and it works again. Any ideas?

Also, the shop that installed it never gave me the box or instructions for it. It might be in need of an update, so how would I go about doing that?
@Tully21

DO be certain you reconnected the two connectors at the security gateway!

https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1141.pdf

OP
OP
Tully21

Tully21

First Name
Brittany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Brittany,

I always use my Tazer for just it's non-live features, tire size and preventing the dropping of the fog lamps with high beams. Once married and these two calibrations are set, I perform the reset and two sleep cycles. I also completely remove my FOB from being anywhere near my vehicle during the two sleep cycle process. The proximity sensor is always active even with the vehicle 'off'.

After the two cycle process I then completely remove the Tazer, plug in the wire harness back into the Security Gateway (SGW) Module and then safeguard my Tazer in a place where it won't be lost.

This process has always worked for me.

If you forget to plug in the cables, this will certainly blow fault codes for 'Unable to communicate with the SGW'. So this is an important step.

However, if you just leave the Tazer plugged in all the time then you're able to use and access all of it's Live features. This however does still continue to bypass the additional intrusion security protection offered by the SGW.

The Tazer 'pirates' it's way into your vehicle's internal Control Area Network (CAN) bus by intentionally bypassing the SGW. This is the magic in how it's able to interactively exchange information with the engine controller in real-time in order to provide it's 'Live' functionality. It must also mimick the necessary SGW is present messages, otherwise those same fault codes will still be blown. They may however be completely benign. I've read that most people with these faults just ignore them.

Regardless, if you take your vehicle in for service, married or not, without first clearing these codes, the dealership will know that you've been tampering with your electronics. Hell, they may know that tegardless anyway with the tell-tale (black box) functionality built into every modern engine controller.

So there is some decisions you must make in regards to how you want to use your Tazer.

Best Regards,
Jay

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
TurnCAM and Auto start/stop disable are two live features I love. We've all had "duh" moments, I've installed my Teraflex gate reinforcement at least 3 times because I forgot some steps with the wiring. :giggle: At least you didn't run to the dealer right away and asked here instead.

Sponsored

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Much appreciated! I got the 2 plugs back into the security gateway and will check to see if it works when I leave for work later. Just a "DUH" moment!
The extension cable from ZAutomotive is worth every penny. Those SGW plugs are a PIA.

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
I just installed the tazer. Removing the lower kick panel and having smaller hands made it pretty easy to get the wires out.

I read the manual a few times and was able to program my settings with no issues. No dash lights are on and so far all seems to work. Except Sway bar disconnect in 2WD. It wont do it. Keeps telling me to go into 4W. But locker works in 2WD.

Other than that it was pretty simple to setup. One thing I learned that NO one seems to mention is that if you are changing LIVE settings. You do NOT need to (at least it seems that way to me) reboot and do the 2 sleep cycle dance. That appears to ONLY be for those NON live settings (engine off settings)

I was poking around the live menu for a good 10 minutes going in circles trying to find reboot under the live (engine on) settings. I just exited out and whatever settings I had made stayed. So that leaves me to believe the 2 sleep cycle thing is only for Engine off changes. I wish the manual clearly stated that!

I was pleased to learn that with the Taser plugged in, the mute button becomes a quick button for your camera(s). I have factory front and back cameras. So pressing the mute button twice allows me to toggle between the two cameras. That makes pulling the front camera up very quick and easy when pulling in, vs having to go to the apps page on the deck, click the camera app, wait for it to load and then press front camera.

So other than sway bar disconnect not working for me in 2WD. Everything else I changed took and works.

Hopefully I did it all correctly and my Jeep will start tomorrow!

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well my Jeep started up just fine today! So I must have done it all right. And after rereading the very confusing manual. I did see that the two sleep cycles is mentioned for the non live settings only after all. So it is somewhat mentioned that the sleep cycles are only needed for the non live settings. But man that manual sure could use some clean up and reorganizational help.

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective

Same thing happened to me last week When I got mine. Updated it and installed. When installed, no 8.4 screen. Reached out to Z via their text option and learned it was possibly a ā€bad plastic mold Iā€™m afraidā€. Sent it back and awaiting the arrival of the new one.

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happened to me last week When I got mine. Updated it and installed. When installed, no 8.4 screen. Reached out to Z via their text option and learned it was possibly a ā€bad plastic mold Iā€™m afraidā€. Sent it back and awaiting the arrival of the new one.
How long have you had yours installed? I just installed mine that I got off amazon a month ago. Im about to unmarry it for an oil change. Now Im scared...lol.
Sponsored