Sponsored

Tazer Mini - Couple quick questions before dealer service this week.

ycart1201

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl Unlimited Rubicon & 2018 Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
Hi all,
I have a Tazer Mini on my JL and have a couple questions before getting an oil change done at the dealer. I've searched but didn't see anyone specifically address these:

1. If I unmarry the tazer, does it retain the settings for the re-marry? or should I write all the settings down because it will require me to reprogram when I remarry it? Honestly, the speedo calibration/reprogram was the biggest trial/error time suck and I'd like to avoid doing it again.

2. I have installed LED headlights (from DV8 off road, they look identical to the OEM LED's). Will the LED headlights throw a code or cause lights on the dash after I unmarry the tazer? I have LED blinkers and taillights but I think those will be fine because they have a transistor (or something) so they didn't need the tazer to be adjusted to run them.

Thanks in advance!

-Nathan
ycart1201
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

1. If I unmarry the tazer, does it retain the settings for the re-marry? or should I write all the settings down because it will require me to reprogram when I remarry it? Honestly, the speedo calibration/reprogram was the biggest trial/error time suck and I'd like to avoid doing it again.
Write down your settings. You will likely need to redo them. I was told you shouldn’t have to, but I haven’t found that to always be the case. Regardless, you always want to go back and check everything after marrying the Tazer. If you know your tire size setting before you unmarry, you should have no issues redoing that setting when you marry the Tazer again. It should only take a few minutes to go through and set everything again.

2. I have installed LED headlights (from DV8 off road, they look identical to the OEM LED's). Will the LED headlights throw a code or cause lights on the dash after I unmarry the tazer?
No.

OP
OP
ycart1201

ycart1201

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl Unlimited Rubicon & 2018 Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
Write down your settings. You will likely need to redo them. I was told you shouldn’t have to, but I haven’t found that to always be the case. Regardless, you always want to go back and check everything after marrying the Tazer. If you know your tire size setting before you unmarry, you should have no issues redoing that setting when you marry the Tazer again. It should only take a few minutes to go through and set everything again.

No.
thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and wrote down all my settings and unmarried the tazer. Fingers crossed for a quick reinstall. 😎

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Fingers crossed for a quick reinstall.
Not really sure what you are worried about. If you have all of your settings written down, just connect, marry the Tazer and change the necessary settings. Make sure you do a full reboot and 2 full sleep cycles.

Dc7o2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon recon
For those of us that have regeared and un marry a tazer before taking into the dealer, wouldn’t the jeep go into limp mode thinking it has 4.10?? Mines got 5.13’s

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those of us that have regeared and un marry a tazer before taking into the dealer, wouldn’t the jeep go into limp mode thinking it has 4.10?? Mines got 5.13’s
@Dc7o2

Best bet is to get within a mile or so of the stealership and then unmarry your Tazer JL... then proceed to stealership.

With the JL/JT Rubi , you will only see a “Service AWD” thrown if you put it in 4 low. Otherwise speedo will just be off.

With the Wrangler JK, it would go into limp mode ..... not so with a JL.

With that said, stealership tech would only see a ...“Service AWD” if he put it in 4 low and drove it...

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
When I unmarried my tazer I had to redo the settings. I have 4.88s and no issues driving it around with it unmarried but I never put it in 4wd to see if any error codes were thrown.

So yes write your settings down and just reenter after you remarry.

As others said the headlights shouldn't throw a code.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Hi all,
I have a Tazer Mini on my JL and have a couple questions before getting an oil change done at the dealer. I've searched but didn't see anyone specifically address these:

2. I have installed LED headlights (from DV8 off road, they look identical to the OEM LED's). Will the LED headlights throw a code or cause lights on the dash after I unmarry the tazer? I have LED blinkers and taillights but I think those will be fine because they have a transistor (or something) so they didn't need the tazer to be adjusted to run them.

Thanks in advance!

-Nathan
ycart1201
Consider me a newb
.Just curious why you need to remove the Tazer prior to dropping it off at the dealership?

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Consider me a newb
.Just curious why you need to remove the Tazer prior to dropping it off at the dealership?
You will want to remove any possibility for FCA to deny warranty work if your Jeep is still under warranty. They could make the argument that by altering the computer programming with the Tazer, that you are responsible for issues.

The other reason is if there is a software update done it will overwrite a portion or possibly all of your programming. The resulting program in the computer could be unpredictable.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ycart1201

The savvy, Tazer JL user always keeps handy a record of what settings he/she used / chose.

I kept on a clearly printed piece of paper and then took a clear pic of the paper and kept that pic on my cellphone as I travel lots. The paper copy was in a file folder at home...

IF.... and it is probably more trouble then it is worth..... you want to save a file copy on your laptop, you can take your laptop to the JL, attach your JL to your Tazer JL and using the Z Utility, make a file copy and use it later for a restore. I have never done this but Joe in a conversation about 3 yrs. ago told me this. (Of course you could take the unmarried Tazer JL and take it into the house and do it with a laptop/desktop...

I might mention, I have actually done firmware updates .... with laptop attached to the Tazer JL while the Tazer JL was still hooked up to the JL.

By the way, I hope all reading this post are aware of the SGW Extension Cable that Z sells.. Sure makes attaching the the Tazer JL to a JL/JT painless.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Consider me a newb
When the Tazer is married to the vehicle it take a snapshot/backup of the vehicle's settings at that point in time.

When you unmarry the Tazer, it restores those settings.

If you go to the dealership and they perform a flash/update, with the Tazer still married, when you unmarry the Tazer you overwrite anything the dealership did.

Also, the scan tools the dealership uses have the ability to see if vehicle settings have been changed. You don't necessarily want the dealership to see that you've made changes, as that can be used against you regarding warranty.
Sponsored