bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Hi Everyone,

My new JL came in and we picked it up last Sunday. I love it, it is GREAT, it is a fantastic platform for a lot of fun. i just need to change a few things to make it fit me. (most of them were expected - and that is fine).

I know about lowering the seat and making it go back a bit farther - really I just need an inch or so lower and a few inches back just to get my knee out of the center section of the dash. One of the seat travel extenders really doesn't raise the seat height more than the width of the metal, I just have to figure out which one.

Today I removed the transfer case knob and plastic adapter now my knee no longer digs into that. I am going to use something like a braided leather shift lever cover from a motorcycle to cover the lever along with the factory boot (a work in progress right now, but preliminary result are surprisingly good for comfort).

I really need to do something about the drivers door arm rest. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a nice way to eliminate that? That thing is downright painful after a bit on my knee. I am thinking about ordering a new door panel from Mopar, the complete panel is around $200ish delivered so I can modify a non original. It looks like I may be able to cut out the armrest but I am not sure. Obviously I do not want to go hacking up mine without knowing, I just turned 100 miles on this today.

THANKS!!
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@bigfoot21075

The relevant schematic suggests that the armrest cover, #8, is a single, removable assembly. There's that bit underneath that will likely require some attention, though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tall/Big Guy Door Arm Rest Issues? Door panel

I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam (and I'm thin). With the driver's seat at the limit of its (stock) rearward travel, my knee is adjacent/parallel to the manual window crank on my JLU. Said differently, my knee is 6" forward of the front edge of the armrest. Do you have to sit so far back that your knee placement is fouled by the mild protrusion of the armrest? Just curious.

Good luck with the resolution here, Robert. I'm familiar with The Struggle (although perhaps you're in front of me on this one.)

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
6'4" and 240 lbs here with a 35" inseam. One of the reasons I love the Wrangler is it fits like a proverbial glove. Most other vehicles don't have enough head and leg room.

Hunter

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
@bigfoot21075

The relevant schematic suggests that the armrest cover, #8, is a single, removable assembly. There's that bit underneath that will likely require some attention, though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tall/Big Guy Door Arm Rest Issues? Door panel

I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam (and I'm thin). With the driver's seat at the limit of its (stock) rearward travel, my knee is adjacent/parallel to the manual window crank on my JLU. Said differently, my knee is 6" forward of the front edge of the armrest. Do you have to sit so far back that your knee placement is fouled by the mild protrusion of the armrest? Just curious.

Good luck with the resolution here, Robert. I'm familiar with The Struggle (although perhaps you're in front of me on this one.)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the diagram, I was not able to find that one. I sit with the seat all the way back and a slight tilt, the corner of that armrest hits just before my knee on my left leg. It is fine for a bit but after a little while, it really starts to get me. It is like I am leaning my leg against a 3/4" socket! If I could lose the arm rest it would be fine. If I need to make an upholstered filler piece to cover a hole, I can do that.

My right knee (just below the knee actually) is right against the front dash center section where it starts to turn out. I read another post where lowering the seat using the square tube on the back support method actually gives you another 1" of knee room as well as head room. I may try that for the left leg. I already removed the transfer case knob and that helped as that was digging into the side of the right leg..

If I have too I can buy the seat slider extenders as well as lowering the seat.

It is funny, there is not other vehicle I would spend 50k for that I don't fit in knowing I would have to modify it immediately just to be able to drive it in reasonable comfort! I don't have this issue in my F350 crew cab :LOL:

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Robert, thank you for sharing your idea with the transfer case shifter I also have issues with this. I'm 6' 5" 245 lbs. My left knee to door panel space is ok with my auto tranny and no clutch pedal to deal with so I can't help you much on that. I had to modify my Viper to fit my left knee high enough to get my foot on the clutch, that was a pita.
Sponsored