Sponsored

Tall people, big guys, you might want to reconsider the JL...

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
  • Banned
I'm a big guy..6'3". I have really broad shoulders. My JK was fine. I could recline the seat slightly and was comfortable. My JL, is uncomfortable and difficult to put my head in the right position In the upright position, the instruments are cutoff and out of my view. If I recline my seat slightly, my head is against the rollbar. A little more and my head is clear, but if I get into an accident, I will suffer a severe head injury. It wasn't so in the JK. In the JL, the seat is raked forward so that the front of the seat is lower than the rear. This leaves my leg feeling tired because it's unsupported when its on the pedal. If I attempt to rest my leg against the console, the TC lever is right into my knee. This occasionally happend in the JK when I was in 4 low. In it's most upwards position, the steering wheel is barely a half inch from the top of my leg. Not so in the JK in it's middle position. In it's lowest and most rearward position, the JL seat is almost 2" higher than the JK seat. The JL seat on it's LOWEST setting is as high as the JK seat on it's HIGHEST setting. This also makes the seat belt uncomfortable. I never felt restrained or the need to take the JK seatbelt off. The JL seatbelt however digs into my collar bone with it set to it's highest position. If I attempt to lean even a slight amount forward, i reach its limit and am stopped. My JK I could reach over and pick something up on the passenger side floor without undoing it. It is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. The other night in stop and go traffic, I had to stop hard and fast and the brakes are awesome. The downside is that I nearly knocked myself out when my forehead struck the rollbar. Why did Jeep raise the seat so much?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™m 6ā€™ 2ā€ but mostly legs and actually not tall from the waist up. But regarding the seat position and seatbelt discomfort, how big are you if you donā€™t mind my asking?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€. I have absolutely no problem with the JL except for the minor fact that the top lines of text on the center and instrument screens are obscured from view because of their deep bezels. I find it quite a bit more comfortable than my 08 JK. The seat design is leaps and bounds better from the firm early model JK vinyl seats, and the new window sill is the perfect height to rest an arm on. Actually having a center console improves comfort immensely as well (my JK did not have one). Iā€™m also not bumping my head on the oversized roll bar padding.

It took a few hundred miles of driving to find the perfect seat position, but now I have no issue with head room, my head hitting the sound bar, or knee room. The seat really could be 2ā€ lower though.

Comfort is all about perspective. I have owned, and have had no problem with, camaroā€™s or corvettes. They both ā€œfit like glovesā€, as in there was no head, leg, or hip room to spare. They hugged me like tight jeans, and had no problem spending hours in them at a time. Getting into my most recent challenger felt like I was sitting in a truck by comparison with all of the extra room. The corvette, while the smallest, was the most comfortable.

The JK (Iā€™m talking about one of the first ones, and a base X at that), while having a lower seat with more head room, also had thicker padding on the sport bars, hard uncomfortable seats/ headrests, useless arm rests, no center console (so my right arm was always dangling if it wasnā€™t on the wheel), hard plastic everywhere, and sharp square corners of the center stack dug into my leg if I leaned it over on it. I Also couldnt leave bare or sandled feet on the steel floor because it got so hot by the pedal area.....but since it didnā€™t have cruise control I usually had to hang my feet off of the top of the gas pedal and lower door hinge (never had doors on it) to keep from burning my feet. A highway trip over an hour started to really hurt my back.

o1o5BTLl.jpg

Anyway..........enough ranting.......

TLDR; Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€ and find the JL to be the most comfortable Wrangler ever. Less headroom from the new taller seat that SHOULD be 2ā€ lower for people over 6ā€™, but can be made to be comfy if you play with driving position and headrest placement. Iā€™ve spent entire days in it (8 hour highway trips and trail rides) and canā€™t complain about getting stiff or feeling cramped.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€. I have absolutely no problem with the JL except for the minor fact that the top lines of text on the center and instrument screens are obscured from view because of their deep bezels. I find it quite a bit more comfortable than my 08 JK. The seat design is leaps and bounds better from the firm early model JK vinyl seats, and the new window sill is the perfect height to rest an arm on. Actually having a center console improves comfort immensely as well (my JK did not have one). Iā€™m also not bumping my head on the oversized roll bar padding.

It took a few hundred miles of driving to find the perfect seat position, but now I have no issue with head room, my head hitting the sound bar, or knee room. The seat really could be 2ā€ lower though.

Comfort is all about perspective. I have owned, and have had no problem with, camaroā€™s or corvettes. They both ā€œfit like glovesā€, as in there was no head, leg, or hip room to spare. They hugged me like tight jeans, and had no problem spending hours in them at a time. Getting into my most recent challenger felt like I was sitting in a truck by comparison with all of the extra room. The corvette, while the smallest, was the most comfortable.
TLDR; Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€ and find the JL to be the most comfortable Wrangler ever. Less headroom from the new taller seat that SHOULD be 2ā€ lower for people over 6ā€™, but can be made to be comfy if you play with driving position and headrest placement. Iā€™ve spent entire days in it (8 hour highway trips and trail rides) and canā€™t complain about getting stiff or feeling cramped.
Yup 6ā€™5ā€ 325 and I feel fine coming from a Mustang. I couldnā€™t drive a Corvette however because Iā€™m more torso tall and even in a convertible my eyeline was basically at the top of the window... Do I wish the JL driver sear could go back an inch and down two inches? Sure, but I donā€™t feel like itā€™s uncomfortable.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I'm only 6 ft, and have only gone on a couple of test drives. I fit fine...But I also noticed the seat seemed raked forward. I'll be interested in raising the front of it somehow if I can.

Sponsored

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am 6'4" & 260 lbs. With the seat all the way back and down, I feel like it is almost the perfect driving position. Like others have said I wouldn't mind another inch or two of leg room for good measure. No sight line issues with the instruments or issues with clearance above my head with the roll bar. I'm one of those shorter legs/longer torso type people.

I saw someone on another thread ask "why would you by a vehicle if you have to put your seat all the way back and down?" :like: I politely didn't respond and assumed they were below 6' tall.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
6'5" tall here. I'm perfectly comfortable in it.

MBurgJL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

The JK (Iā€™m talking about one of the first ones, and a base X at that), while having a lower seat with more head room, also had thicker padding on the sport bars, hard uncomfortable seats/ headrests, useless arm rests, no center console (so my right arm was always dangling if it wasnā€™t on the wheel), hard plastic everywhere, and sharp square corners of the center stack dug into my leg if I leaned it over on it. I Also couldnt leave bare or sandled feet on the steel floor because it got so hot by the pedal area.....but since it didnā€™t have cruise control I usually had to hang my feet off of the top of the gas pedal and lower door hinge (never had doors on it) to keep from burning my feet. A highway trip over an hour started to really hurt my back.

o1o5BTLl.jpg

Anyway..........enough ranting.......

I agree with this post 100%. I am 6ā€™6ā€

Sponsored

AmericanRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
6'3" 225lbs....fits perfect, plenty of room no issues...tons of room above my head...instruments clear across the board...no complaints...only 150 miles but all good so far...

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This thread is so confusing.
I've come to the conclusion people above 6' are all different. Not to say that someone that is 5'8" hasn't run into the same problems. Some have long legs, some have long torsos, some have wide shoulders, some have really long necks....heck, my best friend of 30+ years is the same height as me but his comfort level when it comes to leg room or headroom is completely opposite of what I prefer.

I would recommend sitting in a JL at a dealership prior to ordering one, but I would not dismiss purchasing one based off statements such as the OP.

OP
OP
offcamber

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Iā€™m 6ā€™ 2ā€ but mostly legs and actually not tall from the waist up. But regarding the seat position and seatbelt discomfort, how big are you if you donā€™t mind my asking?
About 290. I have really broad shoulders. I feel like most of the issues are with the seat height. I rode in the passenger seat tonight while my wife drove and it was incredibly comfortable. Got home and measured and sure enough the passenger seat sits lower.

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
I am only 5' 8 1/2" but I have 29 inch inseam I have a very long torso and short legged. I have wide shoulders about 23 inches. Should I worry? My order is coming in about a week.

powderboarder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Sonic
I am only 5' 8 1/2" but I have 29 inch inseam I have a very long torso and short legged. I have wide shoulders about 23 inches. Should I worry? My order is coming in about a week.
I sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show and it did seem a bit low. I could not be sure as you are not allowed to put the top on. Same position as you, 5'10" mostly torso.
Sponsored