Sponsored

Tailgate weight - hinge reinforce or bumper carrier?

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i have 35" bgfs km3 on 17" steel wheels, i went with the rockhard 4x4 with a tire carrier. Mainly went that route because i like its license plate mounting (one of the few on the bumper and not in the way of trees, and i dont like spare tire mounting of plates), relocation of the trailer hitch and plug, and i want to carry more on my rear than the spare (jerry cans, hi lift, cd antenna, with space for additional jerry can and basket) which their carrier gives

i was looking at tailgate reinforcement and hinge replacement brackets, and decided if i was going to get one it would be for a whole hinge replacement not just reinforcement reason being even with just the added weight of the spare i could tell the tailgate was sagging when opening and closing and did not trust the stock hinges to be up for the added weight. but i decided not to go for the hinge replacement carrier because of price, after you factored in the cost of a bumper and the carrier i was looking at the price of the rockhard 4x4 bumper/carrier
Sponsored

boehml

Threads
Reaction score
Website
northernadventuresystems.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I agree. I love that it replaces the hinges and is quality support, but mine is rusting like crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate weight - hinge reinforce or bumper carrier? 79303801-5CB3-422F-9868-B4115BBBDCE1
Damn that is insane. The protective coating on that got demolished, and the hardware on the side of the hinge is rusty too.

I actually really liked the form and function of this unit, but that looks bad. I wonder how well the coverage is for the powder coat inside the frame, yours is rusting like crazy where the bolt cutouts are too. You must live in Michigan or something and the salt did work lol

OP
OP

Jhendo

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon Firecracker Red
Occupation
Product/Digital Design Sales
thanks for the feedback everyone. Anyone have experience with the AEV Bumper and Tire carrier? Its $$$ but in the LOD range.

jetfixer

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I have an AEV tire carrier & gas can just over 10gal on my JKU for the past 4 years not a single problem or squeek out of it. I have a JLU Rubicon 4xe on order I wouldn’t have a hesitation usin AEV again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jhendo

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon Firecracker Red
Occupation
Product/Digital Design Sales
I have an AEV tire carrier & gas can just over 10gal on my JKU for the past 4 years not a single problem or squeek out of it. I have a JLU Rubicon 4xe on order I would have a hesitation usin AEV again.
Assuming you meant you WOULDN'T have hesitation? Do you find the weight an issue?

jetfixer

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
No issue with the weight opening it or closing the tailgate.
It does limit your rear vision it’s hard to see over the top of the gas tank. May the JL will be better?
Sponsored