Sponsored

Mopar hinge reinforcement - what about the tire carrier?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I saw this published info somewhere a couple of years back and can’t find it again. The number was odd and it made it easy to remember for me. Supposedly the Mopar reinforcement increases the tailgate load rating from 85 lbs of spare tire to 103 lbs. I’m at 98 lbs with a reinforcement and stock Rubicon tire carrier added to my Sahara. The tire rests snugly on the bump stops and there’s no concerns right now. I wanted to avoid the slippery slope of renovating the plate, plate light, and brake light too.
Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Go with the Teraflex. It’s a work of art.
+1
it's really well made and quality all the way. Their Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mount presses the tire right on to their Alpha HD Hinged Spare Tire Tailgate reinforcement. The Mount is highly adjustable up and down in and out so it was easy to make the spare press against the top and bottom sections of the Alpha HD Hinge frame. Feels a lot more secure than pressing against two rubber pucks.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I had swing-gate issues with my TJ and I knew I wanted to eventually get up to 37" tires so I bought a Rusty's tire carrier before I even got me jeep.

I am very pleased with it. My current wheel/tire combo is "only" 107 pounds. But to that I often add another 25-30 pounds in fuel, containers and mounts.

Nothing moves or bounces or squeaks for vibrates. Additionally, my swing-gate opens and closes with one hand and functions as it did when I picked it up form the dealer.

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I saw this published info somewhere a couple of years back and can’t find it again. The number was odd and it made it easy to remember for me. Supposedly the Mopar reinforcement increases the tailgate load rating from 85 lbs of spare tire to 103 lbs. I’m at 98 lbs with a reinforcement and stock Rubicon tire carrier added to my Sahara. The tire rests snugly on the bump stops and there’s no concerns right now. I wanted to avoid the slippery slope of renovating the plate, plate light, and brake light too.
The mopar engineers do the math for the ideal case, and have a little ‘cushion’ (pun intended) in their final numbers.

but if you run tire/rim setups beyond close to the normal 35” mopar setup, then your stepping closer to the edge. Or if youre going to be jumping dunes, youre going to deform, bend, and twist a few things.

id say if youre gonna go massive, get something aftermarket that looks the part like the terraflex.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
where did you see Mopar advertise that their setup was to work with a 37" tire?
i've only seen them spec their tailgate reinforcement and spare tire care relocation brackets as being for a 35" tire,.. i'd love to see where they might state otherwise!

FWIW, i have had a 110lb 35" tire/wheel combo hanging on the back of my J**p on the Mopar stuff for the last 10K miles so far and don't see any issues (yet), but was very careful to make sure that the rubber bumper/spacers are trimmed to be long enough so that they make solid contact with the tire in order to help keep it supported and prevent it from bouncing around.

I have the factory hinge reinforcement which says it allows the tailgate to handle up to 37s, which is what I am running. The spare has a bit more movement than I would like. Should I also invest in something like this? https://teraflex.com/jl-alpha-hd-ad...ount-kit-w-brake-light-camera-mounts-5x5.html

It doesn't seem to make sense that they advertise the tailgate working with a 37 but they don't address the tire carrier. Thanks!

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The mopar engineers do the math for the ideal case, and have a little ‘cushion’ (pun intended) in their final numbers.

but if you run tire/rim setups beyond close to the normal 35” mopar setup, then your stepping closer to the edge. Or if youre going to be jumping dunes, youre going to deform, bend, and twist a few things.

id say if youre gonna go massive, get something aftermarket that looks the part like the terraflex.
Mine will be fine then. If we all start jumping shit with the Mopar reinforcement, the tailgate will likely be just one problem that will pop up. lol

OP
OP

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
where did you see Mopar advertise that their setup was to work with a 37" tire?
i've only seen them spec their tailgate reinforcement and spare tire care relocation brackets as being for a 35" tire,.. i'd love to see where they might state otherwise!

FWIW, i have had a 110lb 35" tire/wheel combo hanging on the back of my J**p on the Mopar stuff for the last 10K miles so far and don't see any issues (yet), but was very careful to make sure that the rubber bumper/spacers are trimmed to be long enough so that they make solid contact with the tire in order to help keep it supported and prevent it from bouncing around.
https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/m...bracket-82215356ac?c=az0xJnE9ODIyMTUzNTZBQg==