First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Hello,

A couple quick questions-

First, Mopar lists in the description: Spare Tire Carrier mounts to the swing gate and is adjustable to hold non-production tires and wheels up to 37". Requires Tailgate Reinforcement System

I'm not sold on the tailgate reinforcement being necessary, I am of the belief that the tailgate should be overbuilt enough that the difference between a 75 pound stock spare and a 100 pound upgraded spare probably won't break the tailgate, but will the carrier not mount correctly otherwise?

Also, nothing in the description lists the that the Center High Mount Stop Light is required. I don't particularly love the look of it, if it isn't necessary I'd probably skip it. Does the stock third brake light adjust up far enough to accommodate a 37x12.50?

Appreciate it!
Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
It's necessary per my experience. I had the Mopar set up and a 37 on it. After wheeling a few times something rattled a lot. I checked the torque on the Mopar setup bolts, it still rattled. I am convinced the OEM hinges need to be replaced, which the Mopar setup did not do. I sold it and am now waiting for the TeraFlex setup to be available for sale.

The brake light does extend up. You need to remove the 4 bolts on the "riser", move it up so the bottom holes align with the top holes and reinstall the bolts. The bottom hole is no longer used. I believe the instructions are included in the Mopar setup instructions.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP

bm11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
It's necessary per my experience. I had the Mopar set up and a 37 on it. After wheeling a few times something rattled a lot. I checked the torque on the Mopar setup bolts, it still rattled. I am convinced the OEM hinges need to be replaced, which the Mopar setup did not do. I sold it and am now waiting for the TeraFlex setup to be available for sale.

The brake light does extend up. You need to remove the 4 bolts on the "riser", move it up so the bottom holes align with the top holes and reinstall the bolts. The bottom hole is no longer used. I believe the instructions are included in the Mopar setup instructions.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the insight. I have a tough time coughing up for the huge money for an imperfect solution... but it's factory, so I'm still struggling.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
With 37 you might need to relocate the third light. I believe 35 is the max? It gets real tight. I could be wrong though.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Thanks for the insight. I have a tough time coughing up for the huge money for an imperfect solution... but it's factory, so I'm still struggling.
Happy to help out! I have seen great reviews regarding the Randy's carrier and Cav Fab one, but the Cav Fab one comes bare and needs to be painted/powder coated. The TeraFlex hinges and carrier are expensive but they are beefy AF!

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Hello,

A couple quick questions-

First, Mopar lists in the description: Spare Tire Carrier mounts to the swing gate and is adjustable to hold non-production tires and wheels up to 37". Requires Tailgate Reinforcement System

I'm not sold on the tailgate reinforcement being necessary, I am of the belief that the tailgate should be overbuilt enough that the difference between a 75 pound stock spare and a 100 pound upgraded spare probably won't break the tailgate, but will the carrier not mount correctly otherwise?

Also, nothing in the description lists the that the Center High Mount Stop Light is required. I don't particularly love the look of it, if it isn't necessary I'd probably skip it. Does the stock third brake light adjust up far enough to accommodate a 37x12.50?

Appreciate it!
I decided on the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD tire carrier and am very happy with it. In my opinion I don't see a lot of value in a reinforcement that doesn't reinforce/replace the OEM hinges. Also I was a bit hesitant to put a crazy heavy steel reinforcement on to fix a problem caused by too much weight. So after a bit of searching I went with the RR. It does fully replace the OEM hinges and is much beefier, but it is also aluminum. So you get the reinforcement without all the weight of a steel product. Have had it on for about 8 months now. It has been rock solid and substantially adjustable

There is a max weight rating on the OEM tailgate...if I remember it is 85lbs...but hopefully somebody on here can confirm or correct, pulling that number off the top of my head from 9-months ago.

OP
OP

bm11

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I decided on the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD tire carrier and am very happy with it. In my opinion I don't see a lot of value in a reinforcement that doesn't reinforce/replace the OEM hinges. Also I was a bit hesitant to put a crazy heavy steel reinforcement on to fix a problem caused by too much weight. So after a bit of searching I went with the RR. It does fully replace the OEM hinges and is much beefier, but it is also aluminum. So you get the reinforcement without all the weight of a steel product. Have had it on for about 8 months now. It has been rock solid and substantially adjustable

There is a max weight rating on the OEM tailgate...if I remember it is 85lbs...but hopefully somebody on here can confirm or correct, pulling that number off the top of my head from 9-months ago.
Thanks! Yeah, there are definitely better options out there than the Mopar. That said, this being a 2021, I decided to go that direction for the sake of warranty smoothness.