OP
branch906

branch906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a link on how to extend the bump stops? Jessie Lou is about to get new socks and shoes (Fuel Assault 18x9 -12 offset with 285/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers). I'm assuming I'll have to modify the spare tire holder for it to fit...but maybe not?

I did the same as Stevie states above, however I had some black 1.25" pipe laying around so I used the metal pipe -vs- PVC. Either would work well in my opinion. I will snap a photo of mine shortly and post for you to see.
Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
This has also been quoted on Wayoflife forum. He stated that a Jeep rep indicated 85lbs above stock wheel was okay. They had pushed that limit with 37's and never had a problem on gnarly trails.

There are some heated discussions in the comments section, but he is in essence just stating his empirical evidence that it holds up fine.
Tim from Northridge 4x4 commented on here that EVO MFG was seeing some increased wear from their 37s without reinforcement. I trust those two much more than Eddie from [Banned Site].

StevieBuns

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Rubicon Unlimited
Hey, sorry it took so long to get a picture here. Like I said, I had just white PVC 1.25" and then put them into these white rubber chair tips I got. Painted them both black with rustoleum and fit them into the existing bump stops. I'm glad they're not an annoying white anymore.

IMG_3731.JPG

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
with the Mopar reinforcement do you need the relocation spacers? My spare fits the carrier fine with 35 x 12.5 K02, but with aftermarket rims its getting heavy. Jeep tech rep told me that the tailgate can carry 85lbs max.Obviously this is conservative but might just get the reinforcement kit anyway just for long term durability and peace of mind.

I just dont want to pay the extra 250$ for the mopar relocation kit if I dont need it.

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
As far as I understand it the "85 lbs" over and above the weight of the spare tire. The tailgate is designed to have stuff mounted to it on the inside. Also the spare tire isn't mounted to the skin of the tailgate it is bolted to the inner frame structure.

That said I put the reinforcement kit on. What I've learned is that it does not reinforce the hinge, its adds an interconnect between the inner frame of the tail gate and the hinge. So things bolted to the tailgate reinforcement piece end up being bolted to both the hinge and the inner frame structure of the tail gate. Also adds a place to bolt a jack carrier or fuel carrier to.
Where did this 85lbs come from. I read it from people online, but can’t find mopar saying that.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
There are heavy-duty tubular spare tire gates to be mounted , and swung out , separately from the tailgate . Better get one and have it installed .

When you lift up your aftermarket wheel and tire , be sure to buy hernia insurance .
Haha...lifting that fregin tire and wheel is a B! Always fun trying to line up the mounts with the lug holes in the wheel while dead lifting lbs plus

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
Good thread here but a couple of things to add. From multiple sources 35” aftermarket wheel should be fine on stock tailgate (my current set up). 37” plus and I would upgrade to a reinforced hinge package at a minimum. A lot of people tout separate swing arm mounted tire carriers that bolt to aftermarket bumpers but I’m not a fan. First of all it adds an extra step to accessing your storage area EVERY TIME such is a huge pain in the A__. Second many after market swing arm carriers sag over time. Third they add a lot of weight. I really prefer the reinforced hinge option for up to 37” wheels. Had great success with the Smittybilt reinforced hinge set up on my JKUR. My two cents.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thread, but a few things to consider:
  • Bigger tires require a relocation kit that'll send the tire farther back, increasing the tire weight's offset, and increasing stress on the stock hinges.
  • Reinforcement kits (even Mopar's own) do nothing to reinforce the hinges. Nada.
  • Rear bumper/tire carriers that have a single stress point will eventually sag and have problems. Single. Point. Of. Stress.
  • Rear bumper/tire carriers that distribute the weight across two points are the best solution for heavy/ier tires.
I'm new to Jeeps, just coming up on a year of owning one. But this is simple math and geometry.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
  • Reinforcement kits (even Mopar's own) do nothing to reinforce the hinges. Nada.
This is correct, but it is correct in the same way that saying brighter colors do not make you go faster. Reinforcing the hinges was never the point.

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
This is correct, but it is correct in the same way that saying brighter colors do not make you go faster. Reinforcing the hinges was never the point.
The Rugged Ridge Spartacus reinforcement kit replaces the factory hinges, with much more substantial ones. That is what i am using with 35s and Methods. Rock solid.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
  • Bigger tires require a relocation kit that'll send the tire farther back, increasing the tire weight's offset, and increasing stress on the stock hinges.
  • Rear bumper/tire carriers that have a single stress point will eventually sag and have problems. Single. Point. Of. Stress.
  • Rear bumper/tire carriers that distribute the weight across two points are the best solution for heavy/ier tires.
I'm new to Jeeps, just coming up on a year of owning one. But this is simple math and geometry.
I disagree on your “single stress point” point.
i ran a tire carrier for 10+ years with a single hinge. Not one problem and no sag.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
From the original post:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate strength B204EB36-8B12-4811-A6EC-9986DA0B0358

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
The Rugged Ridge Spartacus reinforcement kit replaces the factory hinges, with much more substantial ones. That is what i am using with 35s and Methods. Rock solid.
easy weekend afternoon job. heavier hinges integrated into tailgate reinforcement. Rugged Ridge was smart to be first to market with this.

8528CDBB-675B-402C-9CD6-734E9C24F505.jpeg

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I stand corrected, wasn’t aware.
Sponsored