Tail Gate hinges not sealed?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I was thinking about replacing the hinges on my tailgate, part of a replacement of the tailgate tire bracket. Inspection shows that the hinges extend into the body and an open gap around the hinges as they penetrate the body. If this correct? Or did Toledo forget to use sealant?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about replacing the hinges on my tailgate, part of a replacement of the tailgate tire bracket. Inspection shows that the hinges extend into the body and an open gap around the hinges as they penetrate the body. If this correct? Or did Toledo forget to use sealant?
Pictures would help

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just look at your hinges...is there sealant around where the hinge brackets extend into the body panels? Mine are not sealed. Just wondering if that is normal or Jeep forgot to seal mine.

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live where they put lots of salt on the roads during the winter. The unsealed hinges will be a great place for salt water to enter and start corrosion.

At first. I looked at the hinges with the tail gate closed. I thought a simple bead of sealant would close of the gap. But I then opened the tailgate. You can just about put a couple of small fingers in the gaps around the hinges. The gaps are about 1/2 inch wide by 2+ inches long.

Driving where there is a lot of dust or fine sand, you are eventually going to have a lot of material collecting inside the panel spaces near the hinges! I have never seen a vehicle before that has such large open gaps on the side(s) before!
I am going to make some vinyl gaskets that are going to be 'glued' onto the gaps to cover them up.

If you don't believe me...open your tailgate and look at the gap where the hinge pieces enter through the sheet metal!
Sponsored

Last edited: