Sway bar disconnect

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
After my suspension was installed, I have to slightly (like barely) rock the Jeep side to side before the sway bar disconnects or connects back. I don't recall needing to do this before but then again, I didn't disconnect it often.

Is this pretty normal? (and yes, I'm on level ground - in my garage)
Sponsored

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t call it normal, but it’s something I’ve seen before. If it’s consistently repeatable I’d have the dealer check it out as a warranty item.
Interesting. With a new MC gamechanger kit installed, I'm afraid they'll laugh me out of the services department :)

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
It's a set of gears that mesh and unmesh (when disconnected). Sometimes you get "gear clash", sometimes you don't. Very normal.

Just drive the Jeep a few feet and it will perform the lock or unlock as you change the mode.

upload_2020-4-28_12-21-44.png

JP18

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. With a new MC gamechanger kit installed, I'm afraid they'll laugh me out of the services department :)
I finished a trail in Moab earlier this year and couldn’t get mine to reconnect. I was only making a short drive to the gas station to refuel before jumping on the highway to head back to Denver. While getting gas I went to check it out and kicked the passenger side sway bar and it seemed solid. Moved to the driver side, kicked it, and the sway bar link swung down to the ground.

Turns out the nut at the top of the link that connects to the sway bar must have vibrated loose and was missing. Quick stop at the hardware store and then it worked fine.

Put some blue loctite on it and it’s been good since. MC GC lift as well. Since I did my own install, only have myself to blame. Glad it was something simple. While driving to the gas station I had myself convinced it was the disconnect motor.

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
After my suspension was installed, I have to slightly (like barely) rock the Jeep side to side before the sway bar disconnects or connects back. I don't recall needing to do this before but then again, I didn't disconnect it often.

Is this pretty normal? (and yes, I'm on level ground - in my garage)
Do you have adjustable sway bar links with the new suspension? If so, adjust the lengths so that the bolts fit through the holes in the sway bar without putting any torque on the sway bar. Do this with the sway bar locked. This should ensure the splines are aligned when the Jeep is on level ground.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I finished a trail in Moab earlier this year and couldn’t get mine to reconnect. I was only making a short drive to the gas station to refuel before jumping on the highway to head back to Denver. While getting gas I went to check it out and kicked the passenger side sway bar and it seemed solid. Moved to the driver side, kicked it, and the sway bar link swung down to the ground.

Turns out the nut at the top of the link that connects to the sway bar must have vibrated loose and was missing. Quick stop at the hardware store and then it worked fine.

Put some blue loctite on it and it’s been good since. MC GC lift as well. Since I did my own install, only have myself to blame. Glad it was something simple. While driving to the gas station I had myself convinced it was the disconnect motor.
I had the exact same thing with my metalcloak sway bar links. I got done wheelin and I couldn't get the swaybar to reconnect. When I got home we found that the passenger side link was not connected to the sway bar at all. Reconnected it by hand without the nut and started the jeep to back it into the garage and it immediately reconnected. I went to lowes and got new nuts and also used blue locktite.

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech

Same thing happened to me once as well but I was just near home on a trail. The extended links on my spacer lift were just bolts, no swivel top like factory so the bind when flexing loosened the bolt. Switched to the mopar lift and haven’t had any issues with the stock style extended links that come with the mopar lift.
Mine doesn’t connect or disconnect very well if I’m not slightly moving. But the only time it wouldn’t reconnect was when that bolt popped out.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have adjustable sway bar links with the new suspension? If so, adjust the lengths so that the bolts fit through the holes in the sway bar without putting any torque on the sway bar. Do this with the sway bar locked. This should ensure the splines are aligned when the Jeep is on level ground.
I'll be honest, I don't know. I believe they might but I'll verify and adjust. Thanks for the idea here.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Meh, I generally have to swerve back and forth a little like a drunk to get mine to reconnect. Doesn't strike me as unusual

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
mine have never disconnected till I was driving forward a little bit. I also always reconnected them while driving so again never had an issue except of course the previous mentioned time the sway bar link completely came off the sway bar.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, folks. I'll keep on the eye on the sway bar links but it sounds like I don't have much to worry about.
Sponsored