Suspension takeoff question

bosshogs

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUD
I'm new to owning a Wrangler and I have a 2022 Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited with the EcoDiesel. I am looking to buy some Rubicon take off suspension, do I need to look for only Rubicon takeoffs that came from a diesel or would regular Rubicon JLU suspension work fine?
Sponsored

Mastergmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Diesel has slightly different weight distribution in the Wrangler. Some believe that the suspension requires different tuning due to the weight differences. Some have alluded that Jeep has already done the suspension mods specific to the diesel. There are some lift kits that are proported to be tuned specific to the diesel model.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to owning a Wrangler and I have a 2022 Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited with the EcoDiesel. I am looking to buy some Rubicon take off suspension, do I need to look for only Rubicon takeoffs that came from a diesel or would regular Rubicon JLU suspension work fine?
needs to be diesel specific

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

You would get a way better ride not spending too much money and be much happier in the long run if you spent the time and effort going with Metal Cloak Game Changer or for a real true plus plus Clayton Suspension , Rubicon suspension is mediocre at best.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bosshogs

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUD
You would get a way better ride not spending too much money and be much happier in the long run if you spent the time and effort going with Metal Cloak Game Changer or for a real true plus plus Clayton Suspension , Rubicon suspension is mediocre at best.
I was looking at the Metal Cloak lift kit, it doesn’t look like a bad option. But also looking at just going with the Mopar Performance 2.5’ lift with Fox shocks to maintain my warranty.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I was looking at the Metal Cloak lift kit, it doesn’t look like a bad option. But also looking at just going with the Mopar Performance 2.5’ lift with Fox shocks to maintain my warranty.
If your service department won't warranty your Jeep if you don't keep it OEM that is a good option. If you don't wheel your rig that is also a good option. If you wheel your rig lean towards Metal Cloak or something better.

Reactions: DGT

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
What are you looking to do with you Jeep?
There are 2 topic that will eventually come up in a thread like this. One is why you're looking to mod. Is it for looks, for ground clearance on or offroad, is it for the ability to tackle tougher obstacles on trails you already do, bigger tires (for looks or offroad), etc.
The second topic is warranty. Find local Jeepers and ask them how your local dealerships deal with warranties. Some dealerships will deny all warranty service if the bottom of the vehicle shows signs of having been offroad, even when stock or with MOPAR parts installed by a dealer. If that's the case, a cheaper aftermarket solution might be for you (depending on your useage from question 1). Other dealers are great and will act totally reasonably with warranty claims. Know before you mod though, don't guess.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
not spending too much money
I dunno man, I just ordered Gamechanger suspension for my rubicon and I don't think i'd call it "not too much money", with the front driveshaft and shocks and install it's costing me around $5200. Or around 3400 if I were to install it myself. That's a lot of money to fork over. Granted, it's probably worth every penny (which is why I picked it)

OP
OP

bosshogs

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUD
If your service department won't warranty your Jeep if you don't keep it OEM that is a good option. If you don't wheel your rig that is also a good option. If you wheel your rig lean towards Metal Cloak or something better.
Good point.

What are you looking to do with you Jeep?
There are 2 topic that will eventually come up in a thread like this. One is why you're looking to mod. Is it for looks, for ground clearance on or offroad, is it for the ability to tackle tougher obstacles on trails you already do, bigger tires (for looks or offroad), etc.
The second topic is warranty. Find local Jeepers and ask them how your local dealerships deal with warranties. Some dealerships will deny all warranty service if the bottom of the vehicle shows signs of having been offroad, even when stock or with MOPAR parts installed by a dealer. If that's the case, a cheaper aftermarket solution might be for you (depending on your useage from question 1). Other dealers are great and will act totally reasonably with warranty claims. Know before you mod though, don't guess.
Honestly I want it because of looks and lite off-roading, like backwoods trails and some swampy trails. I love driving my wrangler and want to throw some 35s on it but maintain street drivability and comfort.

Sponsored

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
I have a 2020 JLURD. I bought it near Tampa in Jan this year as a lease turn in with 25k on the dial as of today. The original owner put 35s on it stock. Next weekend the stock rubicon suspension comes off and I’m putting a 2.5 MC GC on.

I’d have a complete take off OEM Rubicon Diesel specific suspension for you. Not even sure what it would go for used or what shipping would cost. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could chime in.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bosshogs

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUD
I have a 2020 JLURD. I bought it near Tampa in Jan this year as a lease turn in with 25k on the dial as of today. The original owner put 35s on it stock. Next weekend the stock rubicon suspension comes off and I’m putting a 2.5 MC GC on.

I’d have a complete take off OEM Rubicon Diesel specific suspension for you. Not even sure what it would go for used or what shipping would cost. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject could chime in.
Well I live in eastern Orlando, only a couple of hours away from Tampa, hit me up in DMs.

j_stew762

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Well I live in eastern Orlando, only a couple of hours away from Tampa, hit me up in DMs.
My fault bud. I forgot to mention that I live near St Louis, MO. I flew down there to purchase it and drove it back. My dad runs a heavy equipment garage though so it wouldnt be too much trouble for me to put the OEM parts in the metalcloak boxes, maybe put it on a pallet, and have UPS or Fedex send it your way.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Honestly I want it because of looks and lite off-roading, like backwoods trails and some swampy trails. I love driving my wrangler and want to throw some 35s on it but maintain street drivability and comfort.
How about a fender swap and 35’s, no suspension or drivetrain modification? Maybe a leveling kit (1/2” spacers). Most warranty friendly way I can think of to get 35’s running short of starting with an XR and staying there.

OP
OP

bosshogs

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUD
How about a fender swap and 35’s, no suspension or drivetrain modification? Maybe a leveling kit (1/2” spacers). Most warranty friendly way I can think of to get 35’s running short of starting with an XR and staying there.
Hmmm didn’t think about that. Would I have any rubbing issues with 35s with the lite off-roading with that setup?
Sponsored