Sponsored

Supercharger?

Supercharger or NA

• Total voters
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
Hi all, I just ordered my jeep and while waiting for delivery I am stewing on what mods I want to do. My wife also ordered a Rubi but with the 2.0L turbo. On the test drive the difference was like night and day; even though, both the pennstar and the 2.0 have similar peak torque and HP, the 2.0 gets to peak torque well before the pennstar and is a much quicker engine. I went with the pennstar because I hate automatique transmissions but I am jealous of the 2.0's performance. I was thinking about installing a super charger to soap up the pennstar. What are the downsides? I have heard really good things about the edelbrock E-force on JKs. People are saying that it doesn't harm gas mileage and the added strain on the motor is minimal, which sounds too good to be true. The jks have the same pennstar so I figure it's only a matter of time before they release a version for the jl. One big concern I have is wether the supercharge will harm my off road capabilities. For example, am I increasing the chance of sucking water into the engine on a water crossing? What does everyone think?
Thanks
Sponsored

4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sport S 4X4, 1956 Jeep CJ5
NA would be more reliable but Supercharger would have more HP and torque so they are both good but i would prefer NA due to reliability and look for tuning to increase HP and torque and maybe swap the 7 speed manual from a Corvette or Porsche into the Jeep if you want more fun.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
NA would be more reliable but Supercharger would have more HP and torque so they are both good but i would prefer NA due to reliability and look for tuning to increase HP and torque and maybe swap the 7 speed manual from a Corvette or Porsche into the Jeep if you want more fun.
7 speed! I didn't even know there was such a thing other than for big rigs :P

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Properly designed, and more importantly, properly tuned supercharger isn't gonna do much harm. It's when people try to push too much boost out of an engine and components that are not designed for it that stuff breaks. Just have realistic power expectations out of an engine that was not originally designed to support forced induction, since in an intelligent world you shouldn't just try to crank the piss out of the power without having your engine or transmission built to support it. People expecting an eternally reliable 400 wheel horsepower out of a bone stock engine making 285 crank horsepower and paired transmission will likely be sorely disappointed.

And yeah, the newest vettes and p-cars run 7 speed manuals. It's weird but they do. The expense and effort required to make one of those transmissions mate seamlessly to the Jeep both mechanically and electronically though, with correct gearing, etc. would worry me unless it became a far more common/popular swap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
People expecting an eternally reliable 400 wheel horsepower out of a bone stock engine making 285 crank horsepower and paired transmission will likely be sorely disappointed.
Thanks. I am mainly looking for 20-25% gain in power. What interests me more is to try to get the motor to hit peak torque quicker. The optional fiat motor has only slightly less torque and slightly more hp than the V6 and yet the car is so much quicker. Clearly the jeep can be zippy with about 290hp; the issue is that the stock V6 doesn't make peak power until its right at the redline from what I noticed on the test drive.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Hello from across the bay!

I can only hope that Edlebrock gets that supercharger done, before I break and go for a turbo system. The turbo on my Civic Si is great, and my Jeep needs more power, mostly for the freeway. Manual transmission for the win, and good luck on your search for an adaquate power boost.

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I am mainly looking for 20-25% gain in power. What interests me more is to try to get the motor to hit peak torque quicker. The optional fiat motor has only slightly less torque and slightly more hp than the V6 and yet the car is so much quicker. Clearly the jeep can be zippy with about 290hp; the issue is that the stock V6 doesn't make peak power until its right at the redline from what I noticed on the test drive.
"Generally," turbochargers will not build boost until higher in the RPM band, peak out, and then start tapering off near the top. Centrifugal superchargers will make slightly less power than turbos, but will hit peak boost at the top end of the RPM range, although they suffer from the same disadvantage of not making boost down low. Roots/Twinscrew superchargers will make power across the entire RPM band, but will not make as much peak power as a turbo or centrifugal. For the type of vehicle that we have, I personally think that a roots/twinscrew is ideal. The powerband won't change, but the entire powerband line should just move straight upwards. If you want more torque quicker but don't care if it maintains until redline the Prodigy turbo kit might be a good fit for you. Again, this is all pretty generic since size matters in boosted applications for turbochargers and centrifugal superchargers, as well as design and efficiency of the unit itself. (For instance, ball-bearing vs journal bearing, turbine design, and then there's even twin-scroll turbos, and in exceedingly rare instances even aftermarket twin-turbochargers or twinchargers (turbo + supercharger).)

Hello from across the bay!

I can only hope that Edlebrock gets that supercharger done, before I break and go for a turbo system. The turbo on my Civic Si is great, and my Jeep needs more power, mostly for the freeway. Manual transmission for the win, and good luck on your search for an adaquate power boost.
Yeah, I'm hoping Edelbrock gets something together too. They put a display out at SEMA 2018 saying they will be coming soon. However, I have contacted them over the phone, and they don't know when their own kit is coming out, and they generally take a long time to respond to anything, if they respond at all. Took them a month to reply to my email, completely ignored on Facebook. Phone conversation said that "they were working on the tune" and email response was "it is something we have discussed and considered" but didn't sound concrete. I don't think anyone actually knows whats going on for our Jeep over there, which is a shame, because the JK and JL both use a Pentastar V6 so I feel as if they don't have all that much to lose in bringing a JL kit to market.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
"Yeah, I'm hoping Edelbrock gets something together too. . Phone conversation said that "they were working on the tune" and email response was "it is something we have discussed and considered" but didn't sound concrete. I don't think anyone actually knows whats going on.
They are working on the "tune" for the CARB / bribe.

You know.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
". Roots/Twinscrew superchargers will make power across the entire RPM band, but will not make as much peak power as a turbo or centrifugal. For the type of vehicle that we have, I personally think that a roots/twinscrew is ideal. The powerband won't change, but the entire powerband line should just move straight upwards. If you want more torque quicker but don't care if it maintains until redline the Prodigy turbo kit might be a good fit for you. Again, this is all pretty generic since size matters in boosted applications for turbochargers and centrifugal superchargers, as well as design and efficiency of the unit itself. (For instance, ball-bearing vs journal bearing, turbine design, and then there's even twin-scroll turbos, and in exceedingly rare instances even aftermarket twin-turbochargers or twinchargers (turbo + supercharger).)
Yes I think that the roots would be ideal (as long as its quiet and the belt doesn't slip). That prodigy system looks like too much boost for me. Plus what I don't like about the procharger and prodigy systems is the exposed pod filter; I think that one of those is just asking to fill the engine with water if you play in the mud. What I like about the Edelbrock model is that the air cleaner looks more protected and less likely to take a drink; am I wrong?

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I think that the roots would be ideal (as long as its quiet and the belt doesn't slip). That prodigy system looks like too much boost for me. Plus what I don't like about the procharger and prodigy systems is the exposed pod filter; I think that one of those is just asking to fill the engine with water if you play in the mud. What I like about the Edelbrock model is that the air cleaner looks more protected and less likely to take a drink; am I wrong?
I don't think you're wrong. They seem to not think its an issue on other comments I've seen, but what I liked about the JK Edel system is that it used the factory exposed airbox enclosure.

They are working on the "tune" for the CARB / bribe.

You know.
I do know. They could at least give an estimate as to how far along the process they are though. Don't put a "coming soon" sign up at SEMA if it's not actually coming soon, right? Then again, seems like none of the cars even run at SEMA these days and I don't know how seriously I can take that show anymore. I'm much more partial to PRI nowadays, personally. Bless SEMA for their SAN though.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
"Generally," turbochargers will not build boost until higher in the RPM band, peak out, and then start tapering off near the top. Centrifugal superchargers will make slightly less power than turbos, but will hit peak boost at the top end of the RPM range, although they suffer from the same disadvantage of not making boost down low. Roots/Twinscrew superchargers will make power across the entire RPM band, but will not make as much peak power as a turbo or centrifugal. For the type of vehicle that we have, I personally think that a roots/twinscrew is ideal. The powerband won't change, but the entire powerband line should just move straight upwards. If you want more torque quicker but don't care if it maintains until redline the Prodigy turbo kit might be a good fit for you. Again, this is all pretty generic since size matters in boosted applications for turbochargers and centrifugal superchargers, as well as design and efficiency of the unit itself. (For instance, ball-bearing vs journal bearing, turbine design, and then there's even twin-scroll turbos, and in exceedingly rare instances even aftermarket twin-turbochargers or twinchargers (turbo + supercharger).)
If properly sized you can build boost pretty low with a turbo and it should pull to redline no problem. The only disadvantages of a turbo is heat and lag. I don't care for the prodigy kit but if it were possible to mount little twin turbos where the cats are, that would be the way to go IMO.
Sponsored