Supercharge or 392

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I have a 3.6 manual, reasonably built (lift, shafts, steering, etc) and I have a Magnuson on it since September. Love the setup. But...I am thinking about selling along with another vehicle and trying to get into a 392.
Bocephus, why the change? I'm debating a Magnuson supercharger on my built 3.6 manual or selling and ordering a 392 myself.

I figured the Maggie would get the Jeep pretty close to 392 levels of performance.
Sponsored

LTCBenLandry

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Bocephus, why the change? I'm debating a Magnuson supercharger on my built 3.6 manual or selling and ordering a 392 myself.

I figured the Maggie would get the Jeep pretty close to 392 levels of performance.
The power is not on the same planet as the 392…I had a Magnuson supercharger on my 3.6 JK, manual with 4:88 gears. There is no comparison , my 392 is in a different category of power and speed. I had the same anxiety about it not being much more than my supercharger, you should absolutely order a 392 while they are still making them.

LTCBenLandry

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
The power is not on the same planet as the 392…I had a Magnuson supercharger on my 3.6 JK, manual with 4:88 gears. There is no comparison , my 392 is in a different category of power and speed. I had the same anxiety about it not being much more than my supercharger, you should absolutely order a 392 while they are still making them.
The supercharger gets you close to a 5.7 Hemi. The 5.7 is just a noise maker, it’s not a 6.4. Giant difference.

LTCBenLandry

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
The supercharger gets you close to a 5.7 Hemi. The 5.7 is just a noise maker, it’s not a 6.4. Giant difference.
And don’t get me wrong, my jk with the SC was hella fun to drive, I absolutely loved it….not even close to the 392 in any aspect

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium

After having had both - 30K with the SC, and about 8k with the 392 - the engine performance is not comparable. 392 is a beast. the SC definitely wakes up the 3.6, but truly hard to compare the two. I should mention that my 3.6 with SC was MT, and the 392 of course is the 8 speed. Harder to compare I suppose.

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
After having had both - 30K with the SC, and about 8k with the 392 - the engine performance is not comparable. 392 is a beast. the SC definitely wakes up the 3.6, but truly hard to compare the two. I should mention that my 3.6 with SC was MT, and the 392 of course is the 8 speed. Harder to compare I suppose.
Would be the same for me, going from manual to auto.

Thanks for the input!

Milspec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2013 JKUS
I had a Magnuson supercharged manual JK. Such a blast to drive. I now have a 392….they both have the same size tires and rims, they really aren’t even on the same planet. The 392 is 200 times faster, quicker, louder etc. Completely satisfies my hunger for power. It’s truly one of the most awesome vehicles you could own. It wil smoke most vehicles on the road and then climb a mountain in the same trip. It’s fantastic.
You had me at louder. While not an all-important feature, my 2017 Ram R/T has a single FM Super 10 with no resonators. It’s so loud (as it can be with cats)...I can only imagine a similarly ridiculous setup on a 392. Lol a jeep that sounds “like that”. Yes please

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
392 + transmission (or even a 5.7L). The 3.6L is not conducive to supercharging or turbocharging. It has 11.0:1 compression so you are limited on how much boost. Given the cooling issues with the 3.6L, an SC is only going to make that worse.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Most people don't necessarily consider it in the heat of the moment, but what about resale value? Down the road finding the 392 a new home will be much easier.
Sponsored