Sponsored

Steering wheel phone controls while usb connected

dgcurtis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I'm having a strange issue with my 2019 JLUR 8.4 inch screen (UAQ) with Alpine . When my iphone is connected via bluetooth, I can make phone calls from the steering wheels buttons. When I connect to usb, carplay works fine but I can't make any phone calls from the steering wheel buttons, including voice. If I try to make a call with the voice button, it says there are no phones availabe. However, I can make calls from the phone app in carplay. I switched to the original cable that came with the phone and different usb ports.

I've restarted my phone, cleared the settings in the head unit but still no luck. All of the instructions on how to enter the engineering menu didn't work for me. I was able to get into the dealer menu but there isn't a factory reset option in that menu.

My Google-fu couldn't find a thread with this specific issue. Most people have general issues with carplay.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
dgcurtis

dgcurtis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
So I think the specific issue is that Siri isn't working while connected to uconnect. Siri was working over bluetooth before I reset everything but now Siri doesn't work over either bluetooth or usb.

I'm going to try my wife's phone a bit later.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So I think the specific issue is that Siri isn't working while connected to uconnect.

Sounds like a setting on your phone or the radio got changed.

OP
OP
dgcurtis

dgcurtis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
My wife's phone didn't work either. Voice commands aren't working for either device when Carplay is connected.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m sorry I’m not sure exactly which one of the buttons, but when using CarPlay, holding one of the buttons on the steering wheel brings up Siri and you can make your call through Siri.

Basically, if using Bluetooth, you use the car’s assistant for voice commands. If using CarPlay, you use Siri for voice commands.

I’m sure it will say in the uConnect manual exactly which button you need to hold for a couple of seconds on the steering wheel to activate Siri while using CarPlay.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dgcurtis

dgcurtis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I’m sorry I’m not sure exactly which one of the buttons, but when using CarPlay, holding one of the buttons on the steering wheel brings up Siri and you can make your call through Siri.

Basically, if using Bluetooth, you use the car’s assistant for voice commands. If using CarPlay, you use Siri for voice commands.

I’m sure it will say in the uConnect manual exactly which button you need to hold for a couple of seconds on the steering wheel to activate Siri while using CarPlay.
It's the voice command button (at least that's the one that is supposed to work). I've had uconnect in other cars and it's worked fine. For whatever reason, when using the steering wheel buttons while on carplay, it doesn't think there is a phone connected. However, I can make/receive calls using the phone app in Carplay on the head unit.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It's the voice command button (at least that's the one that is supposed to work). I've had uconnect in other cars and it's worked fine. For whatever reason, when using the steering wheel buttons while on carplay, it doesn't think there is a phone connected. However, I can make/receive calls using the phone app in Carplay on the head unit.
Very interesting. So even when you initiate Siri by holding the voice command button, you are still unable to make a call?
I remember being able to initiate Siri with that steering wheel button in the past, I just can’t remember if I’ve ever made a phone call that way. I’m going to try this today and report back.

OP
OP
dgcurtis

dgcurtis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Very interesting. So even when you initiate Siri by holding the voice command button, you are still unable to make a call?
I remember being able to initiate Siri with that steering wheel button in the past, I just can’t remember if I’ve ever made a phone call that way. I’m going to try this today and report back.
Yeah. It's like the voice command doesn't recognize that a siri/carpplay device is connected.
Sponsored