Sponsored

steering issue on 2018 Rubicon - vids attached

Dennis Castro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Sahara
same issues with mine. the steering box on JL's isnt adjustable, so replacing is the only option. i hope it fixes your problem, but unless your part was bad, or they updated the part, its unlikely.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Mine does exactly the same thing, but the upgraded TB to MetalCloak did help slightly and the Fox stabilizer improved it some more to where it's tolerable. I honestly don't think it's one thing or another, but rather a combo of subpar parts and improper caster angle.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Took this video while driving today. Vehicle doesn’t move either direction while moving the steering wheel back and forth. I have a 2018 Rubicon. I have a Fox Steering Stabilizer and just got the updated track bar. Didn’t fix anything. I also took another video, when i turn the wheel all the way to the left and back center the wheel locks, then makes a popping noise. Been to the dealer 6 times now. This is some serious B.S.

link to steering wheel lock

link to lose steering
I'm not entirely sure that the popping/clicking noise from turning lock-to-lock is really even an issue. Quite possible that's normal behavior albeit, I've not even bothered to test in mine, however, I live here in North Scottsdale and I'm frequently on the 101. I can tell you for sure that my steering does not behave that way while driving, on the highway or anywhere else. The only thing I really ever have to contend with is any strong winds.

OP
OP

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon
I'm not entirely sure that the popping/clicking noise from turning lock-to-lock is really even an issue. Quite possible that's normal behavior albeit, I've not even bothered to test in mine, however, I live here in North Scottsdale and I'm frequently on the 101. I can tell you for sure that my steering does not behave that way while driving, on the highway or anywhere else. The only thing I really ever have to contend with is any strong winds.
its definitely an issue. While making a u-turn and going back to center the wheel locked and can be very dangerous if not knowing about it.

OP
OP

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon
UPDATE:

Just picked up the Jeep today. The popping noise when turning the wheel all the way to the left then back center is gone.

The loose steering and play however is still very present and the same. I’m extremely disappointed and don’t know what else to do. This has been my 6th time at the dealer. Opened a case with FCA, JeepCares seems to not Care. So I’m stuck. The shop foreman told me “I guess you’re just more sensitive to the steering”. Really...?

Attached below is the picture of the service that was done.

I’m sorry that if anyone was hoping this would fix the loose steering and play, I can tell you it has not. I have the updated track bar, fox steering stabilizer and now this most recent service. Still slop, still too much play.

DA031B4F-9FF4-4E0F-99D1-030358BFA38B.jpeg

Dennis Castro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Sahara
Man that stinks. I was really hoping the new gear would help you. But honestly, I’m not surprised. The “AD” steering gear is not updated from what I hear. And I guess this confirms your old gear was acting as they all/most do, and not defective, just made with a latent design flaw. Fca needs to resign a new gear to fix this issue. Simply putting another gear/track bar/stabilizer won’t work.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Sorry to hear the steering still isn't fixed. I love how steering threads are popping up all over Wrangler and car review sites and yet Jeep STILL doesn't have a solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon
UPDATE:

here’s another video of my loose steering after the service was done. Almost seems worse...

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
rather than rapidly wiggle your steering wheel side to side, it may be more convincing to turn it through the dead zone more slowly side to side (to demonstrate the lack of steering response). if you take almost any SUV/truck and wiggle the steering rapidly, it will tend to stay on course. it's the dead zone that's really annoying and results in driver induced wandering. I had a nearly 3 inch dead spot so I know what's its like.

OP
OP

bbott

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep rubicon
rather than rapidly wiggle your steering wheel side to side, it may be more convincing to turn it through the dead zone more slowly side to side (to demonstrate the lack of steering response). if you take almost any SUV/truck and wiggle the steering rapidly, it will tend to stay on course. it's the dead zone that's really annoying and results in driver induced wandering. I had a nearly 3 inch dead spot so I know what's its like.
Well I did the same exact thing with the rental he gave me. A Ram 1500. And the steering was much more responsive. And when I did the back and forth the vehicle would move instantly.

You also said you had a 3 inch dead spot. Did you get it fixed?

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Remember you are sitting on 33 inch rubber and a solid axle. Mine acts the same while in the highway while pumping the wheel back an forth. While steering slower gives the linkage time to give input to the wheels. I believe the Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 has IFS and a steering rack in it. Hard to compare a steering rack and IFS to a SAF and a steering gear

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Well I did the same exact thing with the rental he gave me. A Ram 1500. And the steering was much more responsive. And when I did the back and forth the vehicle would move instantly.

You also said you had a 3 inch dead spot. Did you get it fixed?
the dealership service manager said there was nothing he could do unless FCA released a TSB to address it. apparently the FCA star case documentation didn't interest him. after two close calls on my daily highway commute directly related to the steering, I decided my life is worth more to me than the worthless lifetime warranty I purchased from FCA. I adjusted my steering box and it is much better now. I have about 3/4" dead spot and feel safe driving.
Sponsored