First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Curious to see if this problem with Steering stabilizer and steering dead spot from the aluminum type steering gear box has been fixed on the 2021.

Has anyone confirmed if their 2021 gear box is now black color metal and not the grayish aluminum?

Thanks,
RT
Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Curious to see if this problem with Steering stabilizer and steering dead spot from the aluminum type steering gear box has been fixed on the 2021.

Has anyone confirmed if their 2021 gear box is now black color metal and not the grayish aluminum?

Thanks,
RT
Hi! Welcome to the forum! If you have time to read and research, the answer you seek is in many places here. Like, literally lots.
If you don’t have time, then the answer is: Technically, yes. Still drives like a Jeep, just with 66.67% better steering.

FirstJeepAZ

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I just bought a 2021, and am now searching the forums to understand why my steering feels so loose on the interstate. I have confirmed I have the new black steel steering box. I also read about calibration issues. Any chance the calibration is still wrong on the 2021? Or am I down to messing with tire pressure?

Sponsored

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I just bought a 2021, and am now searching the forums to understand why my steering feels so loose on the interstate. I have confirmed I have the new black steel steering box. I also read about calibration issues. Any chance the calibration is still wrong on the 2021? Or am I down to messing with tire pressure?
I had my steering box replaced in my 2020 (Which is supposedly what fixes this issue)
Yet my JL still drives like garbage.

2021 all have the new improved box, if your 2021 experiences this issue.
It is either a possible defective box or this box isnt the actual fix for our problem?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Is this your first Jeep?

kjhunter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
I just picked up my new 2021 Wrangler Unlimited today. I am extremely disappointed with the steering. It tracks dead straight, but there is a tremendous amount of play in the steering. By the time I go to make a small correction if drifting to the right or left it feels like I’ve turned the wheel 4 inches to make a correction and then have to recorrect the other way. Like it is on a rubber band. This is my first Jeep, but I have been driving cars and trucks for 35 years and I also know what danger feels like. It took a second to get the Jeep back in my lane after it wandered and then I was over corrected when coming back into my lane.
Very Unhappy and completely fatigued after a 3 hour drive home from the dealer. Will be calling dealer tomorrow

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I just picked up my new 2021 Wrangler Unlimited today. I am extremely disappointed with the steering. It tracks dead straight, but there is a tremendous amount of play in the steering. By the time I go to make a small correction if drifting to the right or left it feels like I’ve turned the wheel 4 inches to make a correction and then have to recorrect the other way. Like it is on a rubber band. This is my first Jeep, but I have been driving cars and trucks for 35 years and I also know what danger feels like. It took a second to get the Jeep back in my lane after it wandered and then I was over corrected when coming back into my lane.
Very Unhappy and completely fatigued after a 3 hour drive home from the dealer. Will be calling dealer tomorrow
Lower the pressure and in your tires. Jeeps do not have rack and pinion steering and therefor are much less responsive to steering inputs. Test drive another 2021 before complaining. If it’s tracking good the loose steering might be normal. My 2020 tracks well and though the steering is not very responsive - but still comparable to the 2015 JK I previously owned.

Sponsored

kjhunter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
Lower the pressure and in your tires. Jeeps do not have rack and pinion steering and therefor are much less responsive to steering inputs. Test drive another 2021 before complaining. If it’s tracking good the loose steering might be normal. My 2020 tracks well and though the steering is not very responsive - but still comparable to the 2015 JK I previously owned.
I here what you’re saying, but my experience sounds exactly like everyone else that is complaining about their 2018 - 2020’s. The only way to compare is to test drive a “defective steering” 2020.

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I suffer this same prob on my 2020.
Discovered this issue 1st day of taking delivery.
And within a week of ownership i learned about the famous TSB that suppose to fix this issue by replacing the steering box.

Had it done at 600 miles, took it for a road trip that was 1400 miles.
The entire time, i thought i was going to hit the car next to me. It is a miracle that im still alive and typing this today.

1st time jeep owner as well, i have had countless brand new vehicles.
NOT ONE drove the way this Jeep did.
Idk what i need to do at this point as i feel like this is a lost cause.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
As windshieldfarmer said above, check your tire pressures. They all come over inflated from the factory. That will cause the Jeep to wander and feel squirrelly.

FirstJeepAZ

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tire pressure do you recommend. Mine came from the dealer at 39.5 psi, versus the tag by the door that recommends 30 psi. Doesn't seem like enough to make much of a difference. Jeep came with Bridgestone Dueler HT tires (255/70R18).

FirstJeepAZ

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tire pressure do you recommend. Mine came from the dealer at 39.5 psi, versus the tag by the door that recommends 30 psi. Doesn't seem like enough to make much of a difference. Jeep came with Bridgestone Dueler HT tires (255/70R18).
Sorry - just noticed my type. Tag on the door recommends 38 psi.
Sponsored