Steering fix video, best yet

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Maybe this has been posted, if so, don't have a cow. This is the best video I have seen on the steering issue. This needs to be under recall by Jeep. Obviously there were several issues, not just the box.

Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Though I admit I have posted that video here previously too (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-0l-sahara-and-hate-the-steering-issue.15566/), we mostly all agree drilling out the suspension brackets for cam bolts is not a good solution in the long run. It makes the brackets too flimsy.
Tightening up the steering box is, but first lower your tire pressure, then go to the dealer and have them do the TSB for steering assist recalibration, and only then consider tightening the steering box.
When possible, caster should be adjusted by the knuckle bolts and adjustable suspension control arms when lifted.
Caster bolts were on the JK, but the JL was designed without them. Probably for a good reason.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Hats of to the Jeep Informant for his super instructive video any way!

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I had my Wrangler's PCM reflashed as per the steering issue TSB two days after the TSB was released back in July. The reflash completely corrected my Jeep's steering issues and I'm not alone. I bring this up only because I think it's important that everyone should know not all Wranglers with steering problems have multiple issues. As Euro Jeep stated, the best thing to do have the steering reconfiguration reflash done first before jumping to more drastic measures because this may be all your Jeep needs. One thing you should be aware of though is the steering reflash only works for the indeterminate number of 4-door models that were incorrectly flashed with the power steering calibrations for 2-door models. Mine happened to be one of this, the proof being that after the reflash, my steering issues instantly disappeared.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The TSB steering flash addressed my steering issue, it’s not 100% perfect but it’s not a sports car either, I will not attempt to take a wrench to the steering box as I don’t want to run into issues like some have.
Sponsored