Static when turning and shifting while using CarPlay

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Lately I've noticed that if I plug in my iPhone and play music through CarPlay, when I go to pull off from the curb there's a momentary static noise as I turn the wheel. Sometimes the same static comes through as I shift from park to reverse. The noise only lasts a split second and I don't notice anything while I'm actually driving. Not 100% sure but it seems like it's at least mostly when using CarPlay. I don't use Sirius or any other source all too often but on days when it is on Sirius before I pull away, I don't recall noticing the static. I have the 8.4 uconnect/Nav/Alpine system. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Lately I've noticed that if I plug in my iPhone and play music through CarPlay, when I go to pull off from the curb there's a momentary static noise as I turn the wheel. Sometimes the same static comes through as I shift from park to reverse. The noise only lasts a split second and I don't notice anything while I'm actually driving. Not 100% sure but it seems like it's at least mostly when using CarPlay. I don't use Sirius or any other source all too often but on days when it is on Sirius before I pull away, I don't recall noticing the static. I have the 8.4 uconnect/Nav/Alpine system. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Hey, abutterman1. Did you happen to visit the dealer recently for this static concern? If not, we do recommend setting an appointment for diagnosis. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kate
JeepCares

OP
OP

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Yea pretty sure itā€™s only when using CarPlay. Maybe a strange electrical issue with the USB ports? I have an appointment for an oil change and inspection soon so Iā€™ll see if they have time to check it out. Kinda getting sick of dropping it off and not having a car for a week. Theyā€™re always 2 months out for a loaner appointment.

Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
Yea pretty sure itā€™s only when using CarPlay. Maybe a strange electrical issue with the USB ports? I have an appointment for an oil change and inspection soon so Iā€™ll see if they have time to check it out. Kinda getting sick of dropping it off and not having a car for a week. Theyā€™re always 2 months out for a loaner appointment.
Have you tried a different USB cable by chance? Like different brand.

Sponsored

OP
OP

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Have you tried a different USB cable by chance? Like different brand.
Yea Iā€™ve been trying a different cable the last few days. Both original Apple cables. Same thing. Doesnā€™t happen all the time though. Almost sounds like a ground wire is making a bad connection and is affecting anything electronic up front

Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
Yea Iā€™ve been trying a different cable the last few days. Both original Apple cables. Same thing. Doesnā€™t happen all the time though. Almost sounds like a ground wire is making a bad connection and is affecting anything electronic up front
If you have a lightning cable that is not apple try that. Check the grounds in the pass kick panel, one of those should be the radio. After that its more than likely the panel. At this point you may want to try to record your issue and take it to the dealer.

OP
OP

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
So a year later and it still does this. The dealer took a look while I had it in for the steering box TSB and updated the uconnect software. As expected, this did not resolve the issue. I tried different iPhone cables, even using a standard usb cable in the arm rest USB and a usb c cable in the dash media connections and it still does it regardless of the cable or USB port. It seems to occur mostly when the wheel turns past a certain point. Doesnt really impact anything otherwise and I dont notice it while driving but it's just quite odd. I tried looking under the passenger kick panel but I dont see anything obviously loose. Could this possibly be due to some voltage change when turning that matches a frequency in the stereo? Or are there any wires that are run close together for the power steering and the stereo? Possibly a bad USB connector at the back of the head unit?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So a year later and it still does this. The dealer took a look while I had it in for the steering box TSB and updated the uconnect software. As expected, this did not resolve the issue. I tried different iPhone cables, even using a standard usb cable in the arm rest USB and a usb c cable in the dash media connections and it still does it regardless of the cable or USB port. It seems to occur mostly when the wheel turns past a certain point. Doesnt really impact anything otherwise and I dont notice it while driving but it's just quite odd. I tried looking under the passenger kick panel but I dont see anything obviously loose. Could this possibly be due to some voltage change when turning that matches a frequency in the stereo? Or are there any wires that are run close together for the power steering and the stereo? Possibly a bad USB connector at the back of the head unit?
Sorry to hear this concern is still present, abutterman1. If you'd like some assistance from our team, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I posted in another thread, is it anything like this?
Static pops , random, USB wired carplay ONLY
Sometimes small hiccup/stutter
It starts around 45 seconds and onwards increases.
at 2:55 you can hear a stutter/hiccup

Sponsored

OP
OP

abutterman1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara

Itā€™s similar although I havenā€™t noticed it while actually driving. It seems to only be noticeable at least when at low speed, backing into a spot, pulling off a curb or something. It almost seems like the wiring harness isnā€™t insulated properly or something and maybe thereā€™s a certain voltage/frequency at the power steering thatā€™s causing interference with usb audio. Only thing I can really think of. I do hear it once in a while when shifting into drive as well but not as much as when turning at low speed. It seems to be when turning pst half way usually. Doesnā€™t make much sense.

Huskyjeep

First Name
Nini
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2023

This is happening to my 2023 jeep wrangler
Sponsored