Standard Hardtops

BubbaCon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I may not have seen this asked or posted previously but I am curious as to why Jeep would not offer the slide out back windows on the regular hardtops that they do on the Skytop. Is there a difference other than the cloth in the middle and the folding mechanism where it would make it impossible to install the same releases on the side windows of the regular hardtops?
Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Probably not going to find an answer unless someone works for FCA on here....probably because the Sky One top isn't that easily removable like the hardtop is. Some people have retrofitted it to make the windows removable though

OP
OP
BubbaCon

BubbaCon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Probably not going to find an answer unless someone works for FCA on here....probably because the Sky One top isn't that easily removable like the hardtop is. Some people have retrofitted it to make the windows removable though
Yeah, I was just wondering if the side window was different that they couldnt put the releases on them...again just curious

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Yeah, I was just wondering if the side window was different that they couldnt put the releases on them...again just curious
I personally haven't looked at the one touch top up and close but I might have my hardtop next to one this weekend so i can look and let you know if it happens. It might not be terribly difficult to kind of create your own pop out window if you wanted to.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Probably cost.

The One Sky option is very expensive, a $4100 option, while the hard top is only a $1500 option. Keeping the standard hard top a solid shell keeps cost down for those that want a hard top without adding 5-10% to their sticker price. Having the side panels come off would probably jack the cost of that standard top option up over $1800-$2000. Replacement cost $1000 more than that. Not to mention the added time of engineering it so it won’t leak, adding additional tooling on a production line, designing more components, etc.

The other thing though, is the new hard top design is like an egg shell. The material is very thin. When there are sides and a back on the top, it’s fairly structurally sound when it’s not clamped on to the tub. But if the side panels come off, there’s just the roof, D-pillars, and the back glass. It would make it a fragile component, which would be difficult to ship and handle in production, not to mention a big awkward component that the end user will surely eventually break trying to remove it themselves and set it on the ground......and complain online in reviews how cheaply built the vehicle is.

I’m sure all the pro’s and con’s were discussed in a room of engineers, accountants, and focus groups in Auburn Hills.

Sponsored

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I can only speculate that the sides of the hard top also provide structural integrity for the entire top section along with how it currently mounts to the rear tub. Personally the option to have removable rear windows while still having a hard top on would not appeal to me.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I can only speculate that the sides of the hard top also provide structural integrity for the entire top section along with how it currently mounts to the rear tub. Personally the option to have removable rear windows while still having a hard top on would not appeal to me.
Same here. I can have my top off in 10 minutes with a Harken lift in my garage, or with a friends help in the field. There are those who aren’t capable of doing that....but that’s what the One Sky option is for.

OP
OP
BubbaCon

BubbaCon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Yeah, I definitely like the idea of being able to completely remove the top, its a Jeep after all. Hoping to get my JLUR in the next few months once I decide once and for all on color.
Sponsored