Sponsored

Speaker replacement upgrade

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I have a kicker CX1200.1 Mono Amplifier. And a ds18 CANDY COMPACT FULL RANGE CLASS D 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER 1600 WATTS. Rms at 80 watts per channel. So about 1500 watts give or take total.
Does it do it only at high volumes or at low volumes as well?
Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I have decided to build an under seat enclosure under the rear seats. Enclosure will be ported for either 4x 6.5s or 2x 8s forward firing. 1000 to 1200 watts RMS with either. Still in the design phase, I'll keep you guys updated. For 6.5s I'm looking at the HippoXL from Massive Audio. Haven't decided on an 8 yet.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I

I’m no expert on the signal either, just followed the advice of others on the forum and the wiring diagram colors but it worked. I did have my polarity reversed at first. Meaning at center no base. At left or right full, base on each side only. Then swapped the left/right wires and the base was centered with what was expected.

You maybe able to access the Wrangler JL sub wiring easier than the Gladiator. That’s why I went with the soundbar wires as the sub is difficult to get to without major disassembling in the JT.
So I got everything installed yesterday. The reason you don't need bass blockers, and the reason the highs aren't overpowered by too many tweeters, is because there is no bass being sent to the dash speakers, and no treble being sent to the knees. The tweeters in the 6.5s aren't playing at all. Thats also the reason that the speakers aren't any louder. The frequencies and the power are being controlled by the factory amp. The highs are sharper because the little tweeters are easier to move than the factory 3.5s, but they will still only play the frequencies in which they are allowed to play. The focal provide a touch more midbass than factory, but that is only because of their size. The focals sound better than factory, but honestly sound like crap. I've had these in another build, and in the JL they are being severely throttled. This also means there's a good chance your sub isn't hitting up to its potential. I'm wondering if something exists like the PAC where you could grab the signal after the amp and flatten it out, and give you some tuning control to bring out the potential of these speakers. That way you could really step the system up without having to install another amp.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
You are trying to improve on a well engineered system with drivers matched to tuned, ported enclosures. Randomly putting speakers designed for open air (door panel) installation into small sealed enclosures is going to be disappointing. Ask me how I know.
If you’re gonna use pods, get some 6” drivers designed to work in a sealed enclosure. Thats why the small bookshelf speakers in my office are outperforming your custom install.
Also, take notice of the solid piece of plastic you reinstalled in front of that 6.5” woofer when you put your dash back together.

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
You are trying to improve on a well engineered system with drivers matched to tuned, ported enclosures. Randomly putting speakers designed for open air (door panel) installation into small sealed enclosures is going to be disappointing. Ask me how I know.
If you’re gonna use pods, get some 6” drivers designed to work in a sealed enclosure. Thats why the small bookshelf speakers in my office are outperforming your custom install.
Also, take notice of the solid piece of plastic you reinstalled in front of that 6.5” woofer when you put your dash back together.
While you are correct, in this instance it does not matter. I tested the the speakers running free air and sealed, they sound identical and the same quality as the factory speakers as far as the knees go. They are running a super limited frequency to the speakers, they cannot sound better until you bypass the built in cross over and run full range to them.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
... I tested the the speakers running free air and sealed, they sound identical and the same quality ...
I find it as unlikely that you went to the trouble of properly testing your speakers in a free air system as I do that they would have sounded identical.
Please elaborate on the process you used to test them.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Also, if anyone has a set of metra pods out of the vehicle could you please measure the internal volume? Filling them with a measured quantity of water would be the easiest way to do it.
Once we know the internal volume of the pods we can start looking for a driver that will perform well in that space.
Then we can work on solving the speaker grill issue.

Lynweber

First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I installed and upgraded my sound in my 2019 JLU. Using the amp pro and for some reason the sub channels aren’t working. Anyone else have this issue? What could it be?

Is there another way to install an amp with sub and keep the amp pro as it’s playing my other speakers we installed just fine except for the sub.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
For those that want straight drop in replacement speakers BMW also use a 4" midrange in a number of vehicles that use the same funky 3 point mounting system. There are a few manufacturers that make drop in coax and component systems that might also work in the JL. 2 that I know of are Focal and Maker (same company as Brax and Helix). To get the most out of them you'll want to run them with external amplifiers but at least you won't have to pull the dash apart to install Metra pods or cut up the soundbar.

Sponsored

Don4045

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL wrangler, 2001 Grand Cherokee limited
Thanks for that info.

So no four channel amp for the dash or overhead speakers, just the subs....

I mounted a 8 inch JL Audio sub to the tailgate with z channel to save some cargo space and can be slid off with tailgate open. ( harder with doors locked)

F137939F-E73C-4009-982B-25B2ED748FB0.jpeg
How does the 8" jl audio sub sound in the Jeep? Do you wish you went with 10 or 12"? Loaded box or separate amp?

Don4045

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL wrangler, 2001 Grand Cherokee limited
I replaced the factory which were not alpine with all kicker speakers

I had to remove the side pieces on the dash for the knee speakers, but were easy to do. I did add an amplifier to the speakers as well, see below:
Speakers:
Kicker DSC 350 x 2-dash and above the head
Kicker 44KSC404 x 2 - knee and above the head
Kicker 11H58 x 2 -150watt powered 8" subwoofers
Kicker DXA500.1 ( 43DXA5001) amp
Can you tell me what you used to plug amp to the radio? Part number where? Plz thanks.
Sponsored