Speaker replacement upgrade

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I'm about to upgrade my JLUR Alpine system and this is my first time doing an after market system in a vehicle. Can anyone answer the following questions for me so I can confirm how things work within the Jeep vs. someone at a shop steering me in the wrong direction.

I'm going to keep the factory head unit and use the AP4-CH41 (R.2) interface to add aftermarket DSP, AMPS, and Speakers.

1) Do I need to use the ANC-CH01 module in my setup? And what exactly do I lose or gain by removing active noise cancellation?

2) How is navigation audio / Bluetooh phones calls handled after upgrade?
i.e. Will I see a major volume difference in nav directions vs music or it coming out of all speakers vs. one side? Will Call volume have to be adjusted each time answered because music volume may be too loud, etc.

Basically, I'm trying to understand the nuances, quirks, and caveats that may be noticed by upgrading and how things act differently for the good or the bad to make sure I'm making the right decision on dumping some coin here. Thanks for the help!
I did not have to use the ANC-CH01 for my install....I have a 2020 Rubicon with the 4 cyl turbo and ANC. I used the AP4-CH41 R2 with optical out to my DSP - note that the optical output is two channel so the DSP can slice and dice it any way you wish. I am running active 3-ways plus dual subs so that takes up all 8 channels of my DSP. No issues with ANC at all, I think the AP4 removes the ANC. One added note is that I left my rear speakers connected to the factory amp. So those are still controlled by the fader when I want to add some fill with the doors off. Otherwise, I don't use the rears at all when I have doors or a top on.

I appears that my phone calls and voice commands continue to route through my front channels just like before.
Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Fingers crossed I don’t cut up my soundbar, spend $600 and not as happy in the end. I’ll update when everything is done on the soundbar. Not sure when the back ordered SSV’s will ship.
Update: Received the Focal’s for the Soundbar swap, SSV’s still on backorder. Went ahead and pre-wired from the SB and didn’t feel like there was near enough watts to drive these superior speakers. It was a big kick in the gut! The sound was not good at all, even noticeably less output than my current setup. Swapped the connection thinking the polarity was reversed. Nope, that wasn’t the problem. Meaning the problem is as others have said, the premium setup is to send a signal and drive smaller speakers to get the best out of them.

Concluded it’s not the high quality Focal’s by any means, it’s the lack of power needed to drive them. Contemplated on going all in and getting a real AMP/DSP (as others with more knowledge here have said to do), but ultimately decided to hold off on the SB modification and steep price tag to do it right at this time. I figure $600 to mod the SB with SSV and add the 6.5” Focal’s, then another $800 -$1200 for the right amp/DSP was not worth it for me. At some point you got to draw a line in the sand and say it’s good enough. As I’ve stated a few times, my current set up sounds pretty darn good with the doors and top off, so decided to hold tight right now and move on to other Jeep mods to blow my money on. I’ll probably revisit going “all in” at some point later in life and now a believer that’s what it takes if you want true rocking sound from a Jeep.

Disappointing? Heck yes, as I put a great deal of time into researching and hopeful I could get big gains without dropping big $$$$. I’ve already setup a return on the Focal’s for the SB. I will say again the 6.5” Focal and 6.5” pods for the knees were a big improvement IMO up front. I was hoping the same result for the SB, but think the stock premium Amp was just maxed out to drive anymore.

My final setup on the 8.4 Alpine Premium unless I go further at some point down the road:
Dash: Infinity 3022 3.5”
Knees: Metra-1014 pods & Focal 6.5” RCX 165
Soundbar 3.5” JL Audio 350x & kept the 4” Stock OEM woofer.
Sub remains stock as well.
So, about $450 in audio upgrades at this stopping point.

I hope this helps some in the same place trying to figure it all out. Listen to the experts if you want huge differences, but just know it’s going to cost you.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
@RSK When you hooked up the 6.5 in the SB did you use the 3.5" or the 4" wiring? As the factory amplifier has the signals already using a internal crossover. So the 3.5" gets higher signals, and the 4" gets midbass. So it could possibly sound quite awful as it's only getting half of the frequency range. I'm curious if the ones in the dash that you installed. As they are two way speakers, but with the signal from the factory amplifier they would only be working as a mid bass, and the tweeter is likely not putting out anything at all for those Focals.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
@RSK When you hooked up the 6.5 in the SB did you use the 3.5" or the 4" wiring? As the factory amplifier has the signals already using a internal crossover. So the 3.5" gets higher signals, and the 4" gets midbass. So it could possibly sound quite awful as it's only getting half of the frequency range. I'm curious if the ones in the dash that you installed. As they are two way speakers, but with the signal from the factory amplifier they would only be working as a mid bass, and the tweeter is likely not putting out anything at all for those Focals.
Both connections will likely be compromised. The filtering for the 4” will be bandpass, so it cuts both lows likely under 150 - 200Hz and highs, the 3.5 will have a high pass filter.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Both connections will likely be compromised. The filtering for the 4” will be bandpass, so it cuts both lows likely under 150 - 200Hz and highs, the 3.5 will have a high pass filter.
Yes, exactly. I must not have conveyed that thought very well. But this is exactly what I meant to say. I'm looking for a 6.5" mid bass component speaker to replace my factory ones with. But I will only use ones that fit the specific parameters that I'm looking for. Less that 3 ohms, around 50 watts RMS, and high sensitivity. Kinda limits the field.

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Yes, exactly. I must not have conveyed that thought very well. But this is exactly what I meant to say. I'm looking for a 6.5" mid bass component speaker to replace my factory ones with. But I will only use ones that fit the specific parameters that I'm looking for. Less that 3 ohms, around 50 watts RMS, and high sensitivity. Kinda limits the field.
infinity Primus might check that box. 2.7-2.8 ohm 6.5 that sounded amazing till I blew them constantly playing with my aftermarket systems. I’m considering the focals at this point. I put some kenwoods in and regret spending the 70 on them.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ya'll should have got the Alpineeeeeeeee systeeeeeem in the first plaaaaaaceeee!!!!!!!

Kidding!! :like:
Uhm, I have the Alpine system.... And just changing the two dash 3.5s made it sound much better. That and adding sound deadening and better seals.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
infinity Primus might check that box. 2.7-2.8 ohm 6.5 that sounded amazing till I blew them constantly playing with my aftermarket systems. I’m considering the focals at this point. I put some kenwoods in and regret spending the 70 on them.
https://www.jbl.com.my/car-speakers...lack-GLOBAL-Current&cgid=car-speakers#start=1
These are the ones I'm looking at, but would prefer just the woofer. Both are made by Harmon Kardon. But the JBL has better sensitivity, lower ohms, lower RMS, and lower frequency response.

AndyJeepJL2019

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2019
Got my 2019 JL :jk: a few weeks ago. The base stereo system is horrible. I'm trying to pick out new speakers. What size exactly is the tweeter? :movember: I also have tweeters in the sound bar. I'm replacing everything and adding amps and subs. Any help is appreciated.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Need some help please, I got all my stuff in and have 2 main questions

1: Both sets of speakers (Kickers and Kenwoods) come with wires to splice in for a cross over; did you all use those? If so, did you just cut the spade connector off the metra adapter, connect the crossover to the adapter and then crossover wire to speakers?

2: I saw a post about some of the metra adapters being reversed (polarity); how can I make sure mine are good?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Got my 2019 JL :jk: a few weeks ago. The base stereo system is horrible. I'm trying to pick out new speakers. What size exactly is the tweeter? :movember: I also have tweeters in the sound bar. I'm replacing everything and adding amps and subs. Any help is appreciated.
I am planning on tapping into the front channel speakers for my dsp and then running that to my amps. Just going for a killer 2 way front stage and a subwoofer.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Uhm, I have the Alpine system.... And just changing the two dash 3.5s made it sound much better. That and adding sound deadening and better seals.
Can you confirm what wire was positive and negative on the drivers side dash speaker? Also what did you sue for sound deadening and seals?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I didn't take any pictures when installing, so I don't recall. I know that I used the wiring diagram from this forum that is stickied at the top. For sound deadening and seals I ordered from Amazon. Noico black sound deadening, and "B" seal. They both helped to make it much nicer on road trips.

Ingrum

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; 2018 Jaguar F Pace
Ok. This has been one of the more difficult threads to digest. For someone that doesn't want to get into supplemental amps, just wants a little better sound - it looks like this is the best course:

-Replace dash speakers - Infiniti 3032cfx 3.5" $90
-Replace knee speakers with Focal RCX165 6.5" $140 (or Alpine R-s65c.2 $240; or Infinity Pr6512 $80) (anyone tried the Fosgate P1650 $100?) paired with Metra JP-1014 pods $60 (takes some work, but seems worthwhile - sweat equity)

Also seems like many in the Hotheads thread have mentioned better sound, so probably adding that will help as well.

The soundbar seems like another layer of issues. But, if you wanted to spend a little more, why wouldn't you take the same 3.5" you put into the dash and put them into the soundbar? Or, do the cutting conversion and put the same 6.5" you put into the knee panel?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Ok. This has been one of the more difficult threads to digest. For someone that doesn't want to get into supplemental amps, just wants a little better sound - it looks like this is the best course:

-Replace dash speakers - Infiniti 3032cfx 3.5" $90
-Replace knee speakers with Focal RCX165 6.5" $140 (or Alpine R-s65c.2 $240; or Infinity Pr6512 $80) (anyone tried the Fosgate P1650 $100?) paired with Metra JP-1014 pods $60 (takes some work, but seems worthwhile - sweat equity)

Also seems like many in the Hotheads thread have mentioned better sound, so probably adding that will help as well.

The soundbar seems like another layer of issues. But, if you wanted to spend a little more, why wouldn't you take the same 3.5" you put into the dash and put them into the soundbar? Or, do the cutting conversion and put the same 6.5" you put into the knee panel?
I replaced all 4 of the 3.5 speakers with the 3032cfx before any of the 6.5 adapters were available. Sounds great except not enough base. I think going with 6.5 in the sound bar would have helped.
Sponsored