Speaker replacement upgrade

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited sport s
Ok, but the parallel calculation for your front speakers is (4*8)/(4+8) = 3 (rounded)

Thought you said you wired the speakers on the sound bar in series (which just adds the impedence of the speakers together).
its 4 ohms per channel.. the sound bar has a left and right channel.
Sponsored

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont plan on replacing the knee speakers because that would be a total pain to wire that way, but the sound bar is really easy since the speaker grill covers it up. when adding the subwoofer to those same channels it didnt work the way it was originally wired. but running them in series worked.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
Yeah, I get the amp is capable of handling 4 ohms per channel. Problem is if you have two 4 ohm speakers wired in series on each channel for the sound bar, your amp is seeing an 8 ohm load per channel.

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I get the amp is capable of handling 4 ohms per channel. Problem is if you have two 4 ohm speakers wired in series on each channel for the sound bar, your amp is seeing an 8 ohm load per channel.
exactly.. 8 ohms it can do.. less than 4 ohms, it was shutting off power... it's not as loud, but the amp can handle that

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
So let's assume we're replacing the two stock 8 ohm speakers with two 4 ohm speakers.
Option 1 (parallel) = 2 ohm load

Option 2 (series) = 8 ohm load

Do we know if the stock alpine amp can run those channels at 2ohm?

Also, by replacing the two speakers in the soundbar with a coaxial, I assume the new 6.5" speaker is getting full range of signal?

Sponsored

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So let's assume we're replacing the two stock 8 ohm speakers with two 4 ohm speakers.
Option 1 (parallel) = 2 ohm load

Option 2 (series) = 8 ohm load

Do we know if the stock alpine amp can run those channels at 2ohm?

Also, by replacing the two speakers in the soundbar with a coaxial, I assume the new 6.5" speaker is getting full range of signal?
I would still go wire to a 8 ohm to be safe.. 1 of the speakers is 4 ohm and the other is 8 ohm...all new speakers would be full range unless you put a crossover on it yourself... I put bass blockers on mine so they aren't trying to play the low frequencies, its alot cleaner sound

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
stock alpine amp
Do you mean the premium factory installed Alpine?

The "stock" radio is not Alpine.

What do you mean by "full range of sound"?
Are you referring to the full spectrum of frequencies?

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
Do you mean the premium factory installed Alpine?

The "stock" radio is not Alpine.

What do you mean by "full range of sound"?
Are you referring to the full spectrum of frequencies?
Yes, my bad, I have the premium upgrade so I was referring to the stock alpine amp that is feeding the factory system.

And yes, full range from 1 through 20k hz :)

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
Yes, my bad, I have the premium upgrade so I was referring to the stock alpine amp that is feeding the factory system.

And yes, full range from 1 through 20k hz
Ok, so I do not believe the factory Alpine amp is rated for a 2 ohm load. I would think they produce these a economically as possible, and being a complete engineered system for the vehicle, they are not manufacturing them for applications where there will be much variability.

As for the frequency output per channel - since the factory has 4 channels wired in parallel to 8 speakers (2 speakers per channel), replacing one of those pairs with a single coaxial (say 4 ohms), would match the impedance of the amp, and would not change the frequency spectrum the amp is outputting. This said, I do not know if the factory amp is tuned to match the frequency response of the factory speakers. I would suspect it is, since its an engineered system designed to maximize the sound quality from cheap speakers. Best bet would be to play some test tones and hook a meter to the speaker wires.

On my truck (JT) I am replacing the stock (non Alpine) factory speakers with 8 ohm speakers just so I don't mess around with the impedance. If I upgrade the amp, these speakers will still work, as they will be 8 ohms in parallel.

Just for everyone's info:
  • Proper formula for parallel is (Speaker 1 Ohms x Speaker 2 Ohms) / (Speaker 1 Ohms + Speaker 2 Ohms)
  • For serial you just sum the impedance of all speakers pet the channel

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Questions i have done a couple of installs on past cars. On one car i replaced the speakers didn't add a amp until two months went by i did notice a difference from stock speakers. I am thinking of doing the same with the jl just replace the speakers. Would it make a sound difference from stock if i did that still on the jl? I don't want to bother running amp wires at least not yet I know how much of a pain that is.

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Questions i have done a couple of installs on past cars. On one car i replaced the speakers didn't add a amp until two months went by i did notice a difference from stock speakers. I am thinking of doing the same with the jl just replace the speakers. Would it make a sound difference from stock if i did that still on the jl? I don't want to bother running amp wires at least not yet I know how much of a pain that is.
getting the word out to those who just want a simple upgrade to stick stereo, alpine PWD-X5, look it up, mines being delivered today but won’t be installing til spring

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
getting the word out to those who just want a simple upgrade to stick stereo, alpine PWD-X5, look it up, mines being delivered today but won’t be installing til spring
I had tried out shallow kickers before. How loud are these pretty pricey but if they deliver on the sound i am on board. Looks like it will fit nicely under a seat.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had tried out shallow kickers before. How loud are these pretty pricey but if they deliver on the sound i am on board. Looks like it will fit nicely under a seat.
I'm not expecting earth shattering bass, not gonna get that from an 8" sub ansd 165W, just a fuller sound with a bit more bite, and with this unit featuring a bit more clean power to the stock speakers and a DSP to tune everything best we can, it seems like a slick easy clean upgrade. I won't get around to installing it til spring but if you beat me too it let me know your impressions.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
I am thinking of doing the same with the jl just replace the speakers. Would it make a sound difference from stock if i did that still on the jl?
If you are going to do one over the other, upgrading the speakers will give you better sound than just upgrading and amp. I would argue that upgrading the amp and not the speakers would produce worse sound.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to do one over the other, upgrading the speakers will give you better sound than just upgrading and amp. I would argue that upgrading the amp and not the speakers would produce worse sound.
playing devils advocate but from what I've read you should start with the amp, clean power will make even cheap speakers sound and perform better, especially with this unit having a sub to free to speakers from the low frequencies. Aftermarket speakers are surely better, but wont sound much better without more power than the anemic headunit amp supplies. At least that's my take. I'll look to replace speakerts when and if someone makes vehicle specific ones I guess...
Sponsored