OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
This really highlights the advantages of EVs; you can generate electricity at home, wind,solar, hydro, but you CANNOT refine gasoline at home. And of course, you have to drive to a gas station, which has challenges as well.
Yeah but EV's bring a whole host of other problems. It'd take me at least a month to do my upcoming trip to Moab with an EV Jeep.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
This really highlights the advantages of EVs; you can generate electricity at home, wind,solar, hydro, but you CANNOT refine gasoline at home. And of course, you have to drive to a gas station, which has challenges as well.
One of the best things about an electric car is having a full "tank" of electrons every morning. Takes about 2 hours for ours to charge back up after my commute. Plus, I can run the heater or AC on it inside the garage for hours upon hours without killing everyone. When they start shipping more vehicles that can reverse DC charge to an inverter I could power the house off of it for days with our solar panels.

Also reduces the number of times I have to take the other vehicles to the gas station, which is nice.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Basement dwellers are their name, destroying our country is there game. :angry:
Not for nothing, but as huge and redundant our government is, you think they could protect critical infrastructure like our PIPELINES.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Until they create an electricity shortage. The grid is just as vulnerable as the pipelines.
Bio-fuel from algae will be the future. They can make it now, but not sure how easy this will be at home.
This could really hurt our trip to the Florida Jeep Jam this weekend.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The 99% recycling statistic is important, BUT the lead contamination over the last century of poorly regulated recycling has been well documented.
The 5% statistic is misleading, because fewer have reached end of life, as they last a long time. I also see how vehicle lithium batteries are repurposed for home/ business, other non- vehicle use.
Batteries that do not contain cobalt are being developed by Tesla and Panasonic as we speak. Our lead acid batteries , as demonstrated by many posters in this forum, have very short lifespans, 2 years. EV batteries, moving away from cobalt, and even lithium, are expected to reach a life span of 1 million miles.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Until they create an electricity shortage. The grid is just as vulnerable as the pipelines.
Bio-fuel from algae will be the future. They can make it now, but not sure how easy this will be at home.
This could really hurt our trip to the Florida Jeep Jam this weekend.
A " electricity shortage" means no gas, as fuel pumps at gas stations are- you guessed it - run on electricity.
You can GENERATE ELECTRIC AT HOME. Advances in solar panels, hydro turbines, and wind powered generation makes this an ever more attractive option.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
too bad lithium batteries only get recycled about 50%, and the rest end up in landfills. apart from that risk to our water supply (and farming that uses water) i would be totally on board to get an EV
It's going to take a bloody long time before the environmental damage from battery production gets to even a small percentage of the damage that petroleum production has done.

That doesn't even include the crap generated when any new vehicle is produced.

But nice strawman argument.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
The 99% recycling statistic is important, BUT the lead contamination over the last century of poorly regulated recycling has been well documented.
The 5% statistic is misleading, because fewer have reached end of life, as they last a long time. I also see how vehicle lithium batteries are repurposed for home/ business, other non- vehicle use.
Batteries that do not contain cobalt are being developed by Tesla and Panasonic as we speak. Our lead acid batteries , as demonstrated by many posters in this forum, have very short lifespans, 2 years. EV batteries, moving away from cobalt, and even lithium, are expected to reach a life span of 1 million miles.
lead acids are mandated recycling (thats why you pay a core fee). yeah even at 95% that 5% is still bad. i agree.

but all the other "high tech" batteries that are ending up in dumps pisses me off. especially since i read that in china the are not recycling lithium-base batteries at all. 100% going to junk piles.

and you are wrong. "high tech" batteries do not all last 1million miles. that is advertising dream world numbers.

over-draining any battery damages them. that's why they have protection circuits on EV vehicles that cut the power when the batteries drop below a certain voltage. in addition, heat damages all battery types. heat damages the cells. the higher the heat, the greater the damage over time. running batteries in 100 degrees is not as bad as 130 degrees, but still damages them over time.

OP
OP
FinnCustomKnives

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
A " electricity shortage" means no gas, as fuel pumps at gas stations are- you guessed it - run on electricity.
You can GENERATE ELECTRIC AT HOME. Advances in solar panels, hydro turbines, and wind powered generation makes this an ever more attractive option.
Still the elephant in the room remains.. Lithium batteries are still substantially less energy dense than gas. True, electric motors with direct drivetrains are more efficient than ICE's but they are still 30 years off from reaching the same usable energy density as today's ICE's.

Also how did this turn into an EV circlejerk, in the diesel subforum? Go to the 4XE subforum if thats what peaks your interest. We are about burning oil here. šŸ¤£

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
It's going to take a bloody long time before the environmental damage from battery production gets to even a small percentage of the damage that petroleum production has done.

That doesn't even include the crap generated when any new vehicle is produced.

But nice strawman argument.
oh here we go with the political names. "straw man"
lol

since you want to go there about 1% of the earth's land surface has been made into pavement, roads, cities, etc. this lowers the plant life by 1%. coincidentally, CO2 has risen 1%. must just be a coincidence. it has to be car emissions only.
Sponsored