software update kills battery

jcm5399

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
My 2020 Rubicon wanted to get a software update, so I let it. I saw the screen on but figured it couldn't take that much juice. Next morning, dead. Charging now, will see whether the update worked or,,, So, I guess next time hook up the charger while it's updating?
Sponsored

InTooJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '07 Trailblazer
Do you just leave the ignition on to do an update or can you turn the Jeep off all the way? I don't have my JL yet since I just ordered it about a week ago, but I've been wondering how you're supposed to perform these updates when the screen tells you the engine needs to be off.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Do you just leave the ignition on to do an update or can you turn the Jeep off all the way? I don't have my JL yet since I just ordered it about a week ago, but I've been wondering how you're supposed to perform these updates when the screen tells you the engine needs to be off.
You can turn it all the off.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
You can turn it all the off. The update prompt comes on once you put the vehicle in park and turn it off, so it should be off.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@InTooJeep

When you click on th screen icon that says do the UConnect update, you can either place ignition to off or leave on and drive while the update proceeds/completes.

IF, you chose to tune the ignition to off, the vehicle is turned off but you will see UConnect stays on... your radio screen reflects this.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2020 Rubicon wanted to get a software update, so I let it. I saw the screen on but figured it couldn't take that much juice. Next morning, dead. Charging now, will see whether the update worked or,,, So, I guess next time hook up the charger while it's updating?
@jcm5399

IF, the process of UConnect doing the update that takes less then an hour to totally complete, killed your battery(s), my guess is you had very depleted battery(s) to start with.

By the way, did you check to see if UConnect is working.... more often then not, during an update if the power is stopped, the radio will brick.

OP
OP

jcm5399

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
@InTooJeep

When you click on th screen icon that says do the UConnect update, you can either place ignition on off or leave on and drive while the update proceeds/completes.

IF, you chose to tune the ignition to off, the vehicle is turned off but you will see UConnect stays on... your radio screen reflects this.
I had the ignition off, but the screen stayed lit, so I am assuming the screen used the power to drain the battery (i have a slow internet connection...)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the ignition off, but the screen stayed lit, so I am assuming the screen used the power to drain the battery (i have a slow internet connection...)
@jcm5399

As I mentioned, with ignition to off, UConnect stays awake and completes the update that takes less then an hour.

I do believe the update is downloaded completely to the vehicle, before the update takes place. I got this tidbit from a single, UConnect representative.... and have not verified the info, so I will not say the info is spot on.. Makes sense though.

Once the OTA update is completely, downloaded you get the option to do the update or schedule for later.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Jeep Wrangler JL software update kills battery IMG_0366

This was mine last week.

This came when I parked and turned off my Jeep. I pressed UPDATE NOW, Opened my door to get out and the screen went black. I waited to see if there was going to be another screen to take a photo of - one that said it was updating but there wasn't for me.

So, I left, came back an hour later. Screen was black still, then when I started the Jeep I got:

Jeep Wrangler JL software update kills battery IMG_0367

I'd heard about this update here in the forum and was prepared for it - and since I document everything in case of issues - was ready to take photos when it finally came up.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMG_0366.jpeg

This was mine last week.

This came when I parked and turned off my Jeep. I pressed UPDATE NOW, Opened my door to get out and the screen went black. I left, came back an hour later. Screen was black still, then when I started the Jeep I got:

IMG_0367.jpeg
Yup, that's the way it goes.... You could have driven after you had the update running. I like you, chose not to do that...not to drive, but rather let the update complete.

Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Yup, that's the way it goes.... You could have driven after you had the update running. I like you, chose not to do that...not to drive, but rather let the update complete.
Thoughts of my Jeep possibly rebooting while driving was enough to make me take a walk for an hour :CWL:

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
@jcm5399

I do believe the update is downloaded completely to the vehicle, before the update takes place. I got this tidbit from a single, UConnect representative.... and have not verified the info, so I will not say the info is spot on.. Makes sense though.
If this is not the case; downloads completely; and then applies the update, those programmers should be fired! Downloaded file should be verified with some checksum, and battery voltage checked before applying update. Although things like that tend to only get implemented after failures happen.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Got the notice for the update when out shut the vehicle off it popped up. I said go for it. 10 minutes later drove home it’s just a bright screen. Uconnect rebooted came back in about 30 minutes driving. All is good.

OP
OP

jcm5399

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
as for me, after 24 hours charging the battery, still no good, have roadside assistance coming today...

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
2 jeeps, no issues w updates.

But we don't park them under roofs with thermal/radiant barriers either. I assume this update is done via radio flash....and not on my internet node.
Sponsored