Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
  • Banned
Recently sold 2012 2dr Sport with a hard top and purchased a 2019 2dr Rubicon with a soft top. My first soft and was wondering how to tell if top is cloth or vinyl and the best way to make it last? I did read some of the care post but still a little unclear. Also I have looked at some of the window storage bags and they seem kind of expensive. What is everyone doing with the windows when removed?

Thanks
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Recently sold 2012 2dr Sport with a hard top and purchased a 2019 2dr Rubicon with a soft top. My first soft and was wondering how to tell if top is cloth or vinyl and the best way to make it last? I did read some of the care post but still a little unclear. Also I have looked at some of the window storage bags and they seem kind of expensive. What is everyone doing with the windows when removed?

Thanks
You can send Chrysler Jeep an email with your VIN # and they will tell you what is on your Jeep. The Sky One Power Top has Premium Acrylic material. [email protected]

If its the vinyl top you can pour water on it and watch if it runs right off. If its the material type it will absorb before running. There are 2 Types of Top material. Not sure about the one on the All soft top. I know mine is Premium Acrylic material. The first bottle is for Soft Tops and Vinyl. The second green bottle is for only the Premium Acrylic Tops. You can look on Bestop website for them.
My Son has Soft Top. I think he just stores his windows in the back or inside. Not sure if he has the storage bags.
4WD_1120200.jpg
J129745?wid=80&hei=60&op_usm=0.jpg

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You have sailcloth if it's the regular top. Or you have twill if it's the premium top. Your sticker will tell you for sure if you don't know. Easy way to find out is that the twill is very black and feels soft, almost like brushed denim.
I personally like the regular top. In all my years of owning soft tops, I have never treated it. But I do store mine in the garage as much as possible.
I just store the windows in the garage with a soft towel between them.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You have sailcloth if it's the regular top. Or you have twill if it's the premium top. Your sticker will tell you for sure if you don't know. Easy way to find out is that the twill is very black and feels soft, almost like brushed denim.
I personally like the regular top. In all my years of owning soft tops, I have never treated it. But I do store mine in the garage as much as possible.
I just store the windows in the garage with a soft towel between them.
Thanks for what the other Top is. Yes, GreyFox is right. I forgot to write the Twill part. Premium Acrylic Twill material. I thought my Sticker had it written but mine didn't so I asked Jeep and they took my VIN # and let me know. I have been using the Bestop Protectant (Green) bottle and nothing stays on my Top now.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks
Just in case you want to use the Bestop protectant this is after using it on my top. Water beads like it's on glass. I use a leaf blower and blow it off after washing Jeep. Don't wipe with a towel.

Sky One Top.jpg

Sponsored

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just in case you want to use the Bestop protectant this is after using it on my top. Water beads like it's on glass. I use a leaf blower and blow it off after washing Jeep. Don't wipe with a towel.

Sky One Top.jpg
I'm not familiar with the Bestop protectant. Is that just a water repellant that you spray/wipe on or does it add UV protection too?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Thanks

Up will come your build sheet. Hopefully It should say what soft top you have. It may use language like @GreyFox refers to above.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not familiar with the Bestop protectant. Is that just a water repellant that you spray/wipe on or does it add UV protection too?
It Repels dust, grease, and mildew. The next part is on the back of the bottle. It protects against UV fading, cracking and hardening. I have put 4 coats on since I bought my Jeep. Says 2 to 3 months but I wanted a good coat on first. The picture is after 3 weeks without any rain or washing. Bird poop used to be hard to remove now it just wipes right off.

BestTop Twill Protectant.jpg

Jeep 3.jpg

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This would be for the Regular top GreyFox mentioned.
1120200_main_001.jpg

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Build sheet says black sunrider softtop and that's it. Doesn't really help me, I did poor some water on it and it did run off. Does have more of a vinyl texture to it and the inside is a little lighter in color.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

the bottom/underside of the sailcloth top is a very light gray color. the bottom/underside of the premium top is black. i have both.

the sail cloth top is a dark gray, almost like a faded black. the premium top is jet black.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Build sheet says black sunrider softtop and that's it. Doesn't really help me, I did poor some water on it and it did run off. Does have more of a vinyl texture to it and the inside is a little lighter in color.
[email protected] Email Jeep and they will take your Vin # and tell you what your Jeep has. JLUin818 is correct about my Sky One Top it is Jet Black. Make sure you ask Jeep what Material is your Soft Top.

OP
OP
Fouts

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks everyone for your help, don't mean to be dense. The responses have been great.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It Repels dust, grease, and mildew. The next part is on the back of the bottle. It protects against UV fading, cracking and hardening. I have put 4 coats on since I bought my Jeep. Says 2 to 3 months but I wanted a good coat on first. The picture is after 3 weeks without any rain or washing. Bird poop used to be hard to remove now it just wipes right off.

BestTop Twill Protectant.jpg

Jeep 3.jpg
That’s awesome. I’ll have to pick some up. I have the premium twill top and I know what you’re talking about with the bird poop.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I got the soft window storage bag when I ordered my Jeep. They’re great and protective, I just slide the bag underneath my bed. There are instructions in the manual on how to store them properly in the bags, I would follow the instructions. The first time I stuffed the windows in the bag I didn’t do it correctly and scratched up my rear window. They scratch really easily!

I also just purchased the Mopar soft window cleaner, manual says it removes fine scratches and prevents yellowing by providing UV protection. I have the premium sunrider soft top. It’s the twill and black underside. It’s great, I love it.
Sponsored