Soft Top Window Storage

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
So, i know there is a bag you can buy for like $160 to store the rear and side soft windows but any do it yourself storage ideas? I usually leave the back window out that way if i have the windows open the wind and run through (better MPH), so i was thinking maybe a string on each head rest with a loop on the ends and just hook the back window (with the cross bar still in it) to that and have it hang from the back head rests. No clue what to do with side windows. Any suggestions for either? Tired of just laying the windows all flat on the back and then having em get scratched up. Thanks guys!
Sponsored

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
I bought a Rampage storage bag for my windows. I bought off a local shop but I have seen them on amazon, around $50 or so. It is a nice bag with dividers in it to keep windows sep
61Vj3NmaKEL._SL1500_.jpg
arated.

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure others will jump on this as well...but you really need to rethink running with only your back window out. Unfortunately with the JL Soft Tops, the side windows are held in place with the back windows. So, if you are running down the road with the back window off, you could lose the side windows. Play with it and you will see what I mean. That said, I have thought about coming up with a cross brace that holds the bottom of the side windows as if the back window is in place (think rope and a couple of clips that hook into the side window tracks).

I opted for the Mopar bag. The only problem I have had is that the bag is too wide to fit behind my rear seat so you have to curl the ends of the windows a little. This kinked my side windows (I believe that the 2-door windows are a little longer than the 4-door windows so the 4-door may not have this issue). I now place the window bag in the back seat with the strap around the back of the seat so that it is held flatter.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I bought a Rampage storage bag for my windows. I bought off a local shop but I have seen them on amazon, around $50 or so. It is a nice bag with dividers in it to keep windows sep
61Vj3NmaKEL._SL1500_.jpg
arated.
Do you have a JL? The windows from previous years to the '18 are much different. Just curious how this would work with JL windows.

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
I do have a JL 4 door. I have not put windows in the bag yet but It looks like they will fit nicely, the rear will have to be folded to fit though. I am thinking of using a pool noodle to fold the window over so I wont wrinkle or kink it. the bag even has a little pocket for the tailgate bar but not sure if I will put that in the bag.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I am sure others will jump on this as well...but you really need to rethink running with only your back window out. Unfortunately with the JL Soft Tops, the side windows are held in place with the back windows. So, if you are running down the road with the back window off, you could lose the side windows. Play with it and you will see what I mean. That said, I have thought about coming up with a cross brace that holds the bottom of the side windows as if the back window is in place (think rope and a couple of clips that hook into the side window tracks).

I opted for the Mopar bag. The only problem I have had is that the bag is too wide to fit behind my rear seat so you have to curl the ends of the windows a little. This kinked my side windows (I believe that the 2-door windows are a little longer than the 4-door windows so the 4-door may not have this issue). I now place the window bag in the back seat with the strap around the back of the seat so that it is held flatter.
I know what you mean about the side windows, but ive driven 80mph with the back window out and the side windows stayed in place just fine. I think with the top and bottom secure and that little velcro you are ok. THanks for the heads up though, i know that back corner isnt secured very well. And good idea with hanging the side windows from the bottom, they would prob hang on a string well!!!! I am messing with it all this sat, so I'll let ya know if i come up with anything.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I know what you mean about the side windows, but ive driven 80mph with the back window out and the side windows stayed in place just fine. I think with the top and bottom secure and that little velcro you are ok. THanks for the heads up though, i know that back corner isnt secured very well. And good idea with hanging the side windows from the bottom, they would prob hang on a string well!!!! I am messing with it all this sat, so I'll let ya know if i come up with anything.
You’re going to regret driving with the back window out, sooner or later. You should rethink that decision. Besides a high likelihood of losing your side windows, you’re potentially letting harmful exhaust into your cabin.

The manual specifically says not to do this.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
You’re going to regret driving with the back window out, sooner or later. You should rethink that decision. Besides a high likelihood of losing your side windows, you’re potentially letting harmful exhaust into your cabin.

The manual specifically says not to do this.
Ok i get worrying about losing the side windows, but the exhaust? Im not sitting at a stop for 3 hours, im driving and the exhaust is being pushed back. I never got this worry, even if a little crept in while sitting at a light, when u start driving wtih the windows down its all pushed out. This is people REALLY over thinking things. There are vehicles that say done drive with the doors open (or off), yes wrangler owners do that daily.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok i get worrying about losing the side windows, but the exhaust? Im not sitting at a stop for 3 hours, im driving and the exhaust is being pushed back. I never got this worry, even if a little crept in while sitting at a light, when u start driving wtih the windows down its all pushed out. This is people REALLY over thinking things. There are vehicles that say done drive with the doors open (or off), yes wrangler owners do that daily.
Sounds like you’ve made up your mind, then. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Sounds like you’ve made up your mind, then. Good luck!
Well i think riding with doors off is more dangerous than the back window issue. And Jeep has loops in the back designed just for rolling up the back window, so they def. planned on people rolling that back window up. I just think its a non worry, if i start reading about people passing out from the exhaust ill rethink it for sure. I appreciate the heads up.

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Actually, the exhaust will be sucked right into the back window unless you're going fast enough to have the airflow pull it away from the back. EDIT: if the back window is off, side soft top windows on and door windows up/ only partially open.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Actually, the exhaust will be sucked right into the back window unless you're going fast enough to have the airflow pull it away from the back. EDIT: if the back window is off, side soft top windows on and door windows up/ only partially open.
Since there is information and facts on this, at what speed does the exhaust get pushed out? Not sure why it would ever be 'sucked' 'into the cabin, any real explanation there? I get it running up the tail gate and some making its way into the cabin, but how does it get sucked in? Just curious since this is such a concern, id like to know more about the statistics of this and not just "it comes in and its a major issue". And yes, the back corner may move slightly, ive seen that, but nothing of worth. Ive one 80 and no issue, it wasnt flapping in the wind or anything of that nature. Its pretty secure, you'd have to have the bottom lip and front lip get loose, then the velcro in the front unlatch, then for it to slide off the top track in order to lose it. But anyone thats put them on knows they are very snug.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And yes, the back corner may move slightly, ive seen that, but nothing of worth. Ive one 80 and no issue, it wasnt flapping in the wind or anything of that nature. Its pretty secure, you'd have to have the bottom lip and front lip get loose, then the velcro in the front unlatch, then for it to slide off the top track in order to lose it. But anyone thats put them on knows they are very snug.
They’re snug until they’re not:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-window-blowing-out.12507/

I, for one, would never consider running with the back window out. It’s clear, to me, that the back window is what keeps the side pillars from coming out.

Anyway, we’ve hinacked your thread. You want a storage bag. There’s the MOPAR one which I like very much (got mine for free, so cost was not a factor in my case), and less expensive aftermarket options; to wit:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-soft-top-window-bag-review.13235/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-window-storage-bag.12573/

Good luck keeping those side windows from ending up on the highway, OP. We can lead a horse to water, but...

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
They’re snug until they’re not:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-window-blowing-out.12507/

I, for one, would never consider running with the back window out. It’s clear, to me, that the back window is what keeps the side pillars from coming out.

Anyway, we’ve hinacked your thread. You want a storage bag. There’s the MOPAR one which I like very much (got mine for free, so cost was not a factor in my case), and less expensive aftermarket options; to wit:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-soft-top-window-bag-review.13235/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-window-storage-bag.12573/

Good luck keeping those side windows from ending up on the highway, OP. We can lead a horse to water, but...

Haha i appreciate the threads about the storage cases!!! And if the windows being blown off becomes something i see regularly and not one off freak accidents ill def adjust b/c i dont want that at all!!!! It's just nice to have that air flow through the back. I wish we were able to roll up the back window like previous years, and maybe future models will have a little locking mechanism for side windows to ensure no freak accidents like that happen.
Sponsored