RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I've driven in Sunrider mode at high speed with and without rear windows removed with no issues. I've never used the velcros yet because I haven't detected any bouncing. Now, with the top all the way back there is a lot of bouncing so I would recommend strapping it down. I rarely put the top all the way down though because it blocks my view out the back. Sunrider mode is my favorite.

Not that you disagree Rod, but if one is traveling at high speeds like you describe (and allow me to assume you weren't doing so in reverse) then that Sunrider top is going to be "glued" open from the wind associated with you traveling forward. I would think cross wind that might compete with that would suggest a tornado in the vicinity and driving ill advised.

I'd be interested if people have anecdotes suggesting otherwise; maybe if the rig's doing 25 - 30 in a cross wind, suggesting the top not be opened in the first place, then that wind might be the prevailing force.
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Not that you disagree Rod, but if one is traveling at high speeds like you describe (and allow me to assume you weren't doing so in reverse) then that Sunrider top is going to be "glued" open from the wind associated with you traveling forward. I would think cross wind that might compete with that would suggest a tornado in the vicinity and driving ill advised.

I'd be interested if people have anecdotes suggesting otherwise; maybe if the rig's doing 25 - 30 in a cross wind, suggesting the top not be opened in the first place, then that wind might be the prevailing force.
I live in L.A. No crazy weather to deal with usually, just fires and earthquakes. I'll report back on how that affects the Sunrider soft top. :cwl:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I live in L.A. No crazy weather to deal with usually, just fires and earthquakes. I'll report back on how that affects the Sunrider soft top. :cwl:
And sharknado's! But probably best to have the hardtop on for one of those. :)

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
The paper that came with my jeep says for sunrider mode follow only steps 3 and 4. Step 3 says to unlatch the roof and step for says to flip back the roof. It doesnt mention removing windows.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The paper that came with my jeep says for sunrider mode follow only steps 3 and 4. Step 3 says to unlatch the roof and step for says to flip back the roof. It doesnt mention removing windows.
Why would you remove the windows?

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
The paper that came with my jeep says for sunrider mode follow only steps 3 and 4. Step 3 says to unlatch the
Earlier in this thread people were saying that you need to remove the windows for sunrider mode.
Might have been me, that’s what the owners manual says. But I also recently found that same paper you have and it does indeed say just do 3/4 which would instruct you to skip taking out the windows. I think it came with the window bag, do you have one of those also?

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
Might have been me, that’s what the owners manual says. But I also recently found that same paper you have and it does indeed say just do 3/4 which would instruct you to skip taking out the windows. I think it came with the window bag, do you have one of those also?
This window bag you mention, was it included in the factory soft top box? Or, if you have just the soft top, from the factory?

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This window bag you mention, was it included in the factory soft top box? Or, if you have just the soft top, from the factory?
I have just a soft top, ordered bag extra, checked it off as an option. $75

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. Is it MOPAR? Are you happy with it, any complaints?
Yes, Mopar. Like it. Very nice bag. Weather has been so crappy, I've only used it twice so far, but seems sturdy, good zippers etc. It should last a while. The only thing is the order of the directions to pack it. They have you put in one side window first, the other side window on top of that and then the back window in last. But you're taking the rear window off the Jeep first so you're not really putting that one away nicely until you're done. Not much of a problem just a mild hmm.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Earlier in this thread people were saying that you need to remove the windows for sunrider mode.
I recently got a lecture from my 14 y/o daughter about how drag coefficient effects the windows and fuel economy when in sunrider mode with windows in place. Maybe there's hope for her funding my retirement :like:

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Mopar. Like it. Very nice bag. Weather has been so crappy, I've only used it twice so far, but seems sturdy, good zippers etc. It should last a while. The only thing is the order of the directions to pack it. They have you put in one side window first, the other side window on top of that and then the back window in last. But you're taking the rear window off the Jeep first so you're not really putting that one away nicely until you're done. Not much of a problem just a mild hmm.
Great to know. I don’t remember what it’s like to have soft tops windows without scratches. I’m going to make and effort to keep these nice.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recently got a lecture from my 14 y/o daughter about how drag coefficient effects the windows and fuel economy when in sunrider mode with windows in place. Maybe there's hope for her funding my retirement :like:
LOL I'm getting the "reusable grocery bag" lecture, and she's found one online that has a big 'ol Jeep logo on it...that's probably Father's Day...

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
Good to know. Is it MOPAR? Are you happy with it, any complaints?
Like others have said, the soft top window bag is definitely worth $75! Takes an extra minute to pack them, but they will not get scratched. Be sure they are relatively clean though...
Sponsored