Sponsored

Soft top rattle

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
With the soft top fully lowered I am getting a rattle from the driver’s side rear rollbar area. The wheel that slides through the glide channel (making up words here since the install instructions doesn’t contain words) rattles side to side when I hit bumps causing a rattle. It doesn’t seem like there’s that much more play on the driver’s side compared to the passenger side, but I only hear it on the driver’s side.

THIS IS A $50,000 VEHICLE, I WANT A BUYBACK!!!!

Kidding of course. It’s a minor thing, but I’m wondering if anyone has a fix before I take a crack at it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PkGZVGMH9JWfxWyX7
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I hear a rattle with the soft top up but on the passenger side. It sounds like there is a loose screw in the roll bar (soundbar area , seems to go away when the top is down or in sun-rider.
So maybe it is the wheel like you are talking about. You may have helped me track this down.

OP
OP
cjaama

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's probably the bottom tab rattling against the body of your jeep. I had the same issue. I believe the soft top loosens and stretches out over time, and the tabs don't remain as tight.

Just go buy some cheap weather stripping and put a piece on the side that goes against the body when snapped in. I did this a few weeks ago, and the rattle has disappeared, and the tabs remain nice and tight.
Thanks, but it's not that.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Strapping the top down would probably help. I use a couple long Velcro straps to keep it a little cleaner looking and keep it down a little further, it might put enough pressure on the arms to eliminate the rattle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cjaama

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Strapping the top down would probably help. I use a couple long Velcro straps to keep it a little cleaner looking and keep it down a little further, it might put enough pressure on the arms to eliminate the rattle.
I actually had the same thought and did the same. It didn't rattle on my drive home, but TBD whether that was the solution.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
My Rattle is on the driver side rear soft top pillar the little pin on the bottom that fits into the hole on the bed rail it is loose in there and with no pressure from the top the base of that pillar will move a little just enough for that plastic pin to rattle in the hole. I took a 1/2 neoprene pad cut s hole for the pin and put it under that pillar, rattle GONE. That may be the noise you are hearing.

Aranimus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
With the soft top fully lowered I am getting a rattle from the driver’s side rear rollbar area. The wheel that slides through the glide channel (making up words here since the install instructions doesn’t contain words) rattles side to side when I hit bumps causing a rattle. It doesn’t seem like there’s that much more play on the driver’s side compared to the passenger side, but I only hear it on the driver’s side.

THIS IS A $50,000 VEHICLE, I WANT A BUYBACK!!!!

Kidding of course. It’s a minor thing, but I’m wondering if anyone has a fix before I take a crack at it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PkGZVGMH9JWfxWyX7
Hi Chris, I had this exact problem with my 2-door JL soft top (recent purchase!) There's not much info on it as far as I can tell, but that side-to-side rattle? It drove me crazy! Anyway, I think you diagnosed the problem correctly --- namely, that the glide channel and wheels have a bit too much play. (And you are not making up words here, you are just using them! :) ) My solution was to take the velcro straps that they gave us for the sunrider position, and simply wrap them around the bars (a place to restrain the wheels from going side to side, thus making it less 'shaky') I assume you know what I mean here without a picture...just take the straps, and wrap them around a place along the guide channel that prevents the side-to-side motion. Problem solved :) Interestingly I thought it was all driver's side noise too, but it's just a free-form rattle that you hear from the passenger side as well! Anyway try out the fix --- I'm top down all summer, and that tie down was a must for me!

Sponsored

curtise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My soft top rattles when it’s fully closed. It’s absurd.
Exact same. It drives me nuts. Passenger side rattles when the top is fully closed, and the driver side rattles when it's fully dropped.

Anyone had this looked at by the dealer yet? Since they seem to be designed with too much play inside that sliding channel, I'm not sure what the fix would be...

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, with those rollers and attaching that plastic exoskeleton, something is bound to rattle a bit. (I have dual top, so I've added/removed the soft top frame a couple times now. I'm sure that doesn't help lol)
Sponsored