First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
How long ago did you order it? They are about 30 days out at best now.
That was a problem because I wanted it for Memorial Day weekend and I had a cash flow problem so I wasn't able to order it real early. I ended up searching everywhere and finding that Just For Jeeps had it in stock and they are about 45 miles from me. I spoke to them on the phone and bought it and then drove there and picked it up. That was about 10 days before Memorial Day weekend.

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
I'm also very interested in a MyTop.

Question for you all: am going back and forth between a 2-door JL Sport S and a 2-door JK Sahara.

My non-negotiables are:

1.) 2-door
2.) getting a power roof with MyTop (https://mytop.us/)

I know the JL Sahara and JL Rubicon have the one-touch sky roof, but it's only on the ultimates.

Mytop does not currently offer a 2-door JL power roof, but their website says it's coming Summer 2021, and I spoke with someone there that said it is 1-2 months away.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the creature comfort differences between a JK Sahara and a JL Sport S.

I won't be doing much off-roading, I will mostly be a miserable mall crawler. The exception is the beach - will be rolling over sand often as I surf and live in Miami. I will be going naked or half-doors with no top ASAP.

Gun to your head, optimizing for highway / sand / creature comforts, what would you select, the JK Sahara or the JL Sport S?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

Question for you all: am going back and forth between a 2-door JL Sport S and a 2-door JK Sahara.

My non-negotiables are:

1.) 2-door
2.) getting a power roof with MyTop (https://mytop.us/)

I know the JL Sahara and JL Rubicon have the one-touch sky roof, but it's only on the ultimates.

Mytop does not currently offer a 2-door JL power roof, but their website says it's coming Summer 2021, and I spoke with someone there that said it is 1-2 months away.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the creature comfort differences between a JK Sahara and a JL Sport S.

I won't be doing much off-roading, I will mostly be a miserable mall crawler. The exception is the beach - will be rolling over sand often as I surf and live in Miami. I will be going naked or half-doors with no top ASAP.

Gun to your head, optimizing for highway / sand / creature comforts, what would you select, the JK Sahara or the JL Sport S?
Definitely get the JL. The JK feels ancient compared to the JL. That was the main thing stopping me from getting the JK in 2015 when I was convertible shopping. Plus I didn't even know mytop existed back then (wish I did).

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Definitely get the JL. The JK feels ancient compared to the JL. That was the main thing stopping me from getting the JK in 2015 when I was convertible shopping. Plus I didn't even know mytop existed back then (wish I did).
Got it, thanks for the feedback. Curious about why you say that. Is it just a more luxurious feeling overall on the interior?

Based on what you're saying, if 2-door is non-negotiable for me, it sounds like the Sport-S JL is the move?

Sponsored

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Going to test drive a sport JL today because of your post. Thank you.

OP
OP
TJHUB

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Hey @TJHUB
You have a lot of great info here to sort through. I'll let you digest the purchase of your new Wrangler (Congrats!!), feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Thanks Lee. I appreciate the offer, and may take you up on it. We are out in the motorhome this weekend, so plenty of time to convince my wife we *have* to get the soft top ordered ASAP!

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was also interested in MyTop but the major reason I stayed away was a simple matter of economics. MyTop was 2x the price of the Bestop Ultra and then installation on top of that. With MyTop claiming 7-8 hour install time I don't see how it could much less than $500.

Sorry but that extra $2500 is a lot of money to me better used somewhere else.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Thanks Lee. I appreciate the offer, and may take you up on it. We are out in the motorhome this weekend, so plenty of time to convince my wife we *have* to get the soft top ordered ASAP!
Happy to help! Let me know what works for you!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I was also interested in MyTop but the major reason I stayed away was a simple matter of economics. MyTop was 2x the price of the Bestop Ultra and then installation on top of that. With MyTop claiming 7-8 hour install time I don't see how it could much less than $500.

Install ranges 600-800, but people have paid more for leather seats and the price of the top is more like 2500 after selling your factory top. Even more if it’s painted or brand new. Your cost concern is understandable but you must keep in mind that you can use it all day, every single day, so for me at least, it’s well worth it’s value with the AMOUNT of fun I get out of it vs price. It’s smiles per gallon rating is unbeatable. There are people spending 1.5-3k on radios, now that blows my mind unless their passenger loves watching tv that much. It’s not like it’s a downgrade, it’s quieter and warmer than the hardtop I had. That’s fiberglass vs 3 layers of insulation.

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL

But the bestop isn't power / automatic, correct? Looking at the photos on the site it seems that it's manual, right?

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Install ranges 600-800, but people have paid more for leather seats and the price of the top is more like 2500 after selling your factory top. Even more if it’s painted or brand new. Your cost concern is understandable but you must keep in mind that you can use it all day, every single day, so for me at least, it’s well worth it’s value with the AMOUNT of fun I get out of it vs price. It’s smiles per gallon rating is unbeatable. There are people spending 1.5-3k on radios, now that blows my mind unless their passenger loves watching tv that much. It’s not like it’s a downgrade, it’s quieter and warmer than the hardtop I had. That’s fiberglass vs 3 layers of insulation.
All valid points.

Living in the Boston area my general plan is to run the hard top from say late October to early May so I wasn't planning on selling it. I might end up changing my mind.

I also could not justify spending the money people do on aftermarket sound systems. I bought the larger screen and the Alpine system and that is more than enough for me.

I might end up eventually buying one regardless. My wife is driving the Jeep more than me and she wants a "power top".
Sponsored