Soft top (newbie)

Bo’s Jeep

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Hi I’m a newbie….sort of (had a ‘97 Wrangler Sport but sold it when kids came along) 23 years later I’m back in a wrangler JLU some things didn’t change, so many more did.. How do I know what soft top I have (Diamond, Twill, whatever else is out there) in order to care for it? Also any advise on keeping windows from yellowing?
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
The two most popular material types for JL soft tops are sailcloth and twill, and Bestop is one of the biggest suppliers under their own brand and also under the Mopar brand. Sailcloth resembles tarp material. Twill is much thicker and heavier than sailcloth. Got a pic?

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I have used plastic cleaner on my 98 TJ since day 1, no yellowing to date. The windows shouldn't yellow if you clean them properly and regularly. Nowadays I use spray can Plexus plastic cleaner on both the JL and TJ. Its on Amazon.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
Hi I’m a newbie….sort of (had a ‘97 Wrangler Sport but sold it when kids came along) 23 years later I’m back in a wrangler JLU some things didn’t change, so many more did.. How do I know what soft top I have (Diamond, Twill, whatever else is out there) in order to care for it? Also any advise on keeping windows from yellowing?
I have a 2020 JLU soft top with the sail cloth, its white inside. My understanding is the upgraded twill is black inside.

OP
OP

Bo’s Jeep

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The two most popular material types for JL soft tops are sailcloth and twill, and Bestop is one of the biggest suppliers under their own brand and also under the Mopar brand. Sailcloth resembles tarp material. Twill is much thicker and heavier than sailcloth. Got a pic?
02D71208-927B-41C4-B413-850DE8343999.jpeg

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Looks like sailcloth to me. Twill tops tend to be blacker in color, and the heavier material eliminates some of the fabric bunching. Beautiful Jeep btw - love the ocean + machined wheels.
Yup, sailcloth.

OP
OP

Bo’s Jeep

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I love this thing, I can’t stay out of it! And thanks everyone for the info!
Sponsored