Sponsored

NEWBIE QUESTION - JL premium soft top - putting top down / back and leaving windows in

DG917

First Name
DG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hey
Newbie question.
I have a 2019 Wrangler w/Premium Soft top.
Is it okay to put the top back/down, without removing the rear window and quarter panel windows?
Sponsored

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
if you put it in the sunrider position then sure. if you are going to lower it all the way down then NO!! there are many, many threads on this and some disagree with the sunrider position and taking the windows out or not. But everyone will agree that you MUST take all the plastic windows out if you are lowering the top completely

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Find the user @Rahneld and send him a PM. He’s the expert on everything.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, in all the previous threads on this question, I think an important factor that everyone kept missing is that Jeep published a booklet that they provide with new Wranglers that proves that they're okay with the windows being on while in the Sunrider position. I think this new information should change everybody's mind. This is groundbreaking news. They look like this:
20190603_184611.jpg
20190603_184621.jpg
20190603_184733.jpg

Sponsored

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
I just switched from a hard to soft top today and there seems to be conflicting information on this forum on whether the side/back windows need to be removed when the soft top is in the sunrider position. Some forum members have lost a side window in the sunrider configuration. Not sure which information is accurate.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I just switched from a hard to soft top today and there seems to be conflicting information on this forum on whether the side/back windows need to be removed when the soft top is in the sunrider position. Some forum members have lost a side window in the sunrider configuration. Not sure which information is accurate.
No difference in having the top in the Sunrider position and driving with your windows down. Plus, look at the above post. My Jeep also came with this pamphlet saying it's OK to have your windows in. If you lose a window while driving, then it probably wasn't secured to begin with. However, do as you see fit. Myself, I drive in Sunrider position all the time with my windows still in:like:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Find the user @Rahneld and send him a PM. He’s the expert on everything.
Not at all..and you know that. You're just pissed that you're wrong in that mother FCA officially wants soft windows out in Sunrider position and can defend that it court.

You need to grow up. I've been wrong here and said so an apologized. I'm just not wrong here.

I'm not an expert on the posts I do comment on, and am probably not even knowledgeable on the ones I don't comment you. You see, I like to add value here...leave newbies with correct information here on which to make their own mind up. There's no ego trip for me.

You and others, on the other hand, who can't let go that some placard that comes with the rig which suggests keeping windows in, but has you refer to the owner's manual for complete details is legally trumped by the owner's manual which says the opposite.

Windows in windows out...I don't think it's a big deal with the emphasis on "I." Others have a right to know who'se responsible if those windows break or break off and cause high speed damage to others. And the answer is the JL owner/operator, not FCA, and not your insurance company.

Think about this. @JeepCares has come on the board to say to follow the owner's manual. They get to set the rules and you get to buy the rig or not. I'm simply echoing their sentiments.

It is not I who need to let this go @Firemadz as I simply respond to the truth of insecure people who can't let it go that they got this wrong but continue to be pissed as if I told them to speak up.

When someone corrects me here I usually thank them. I certainly don't hound on this for weeks on end.

Last edited:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Well, in all the previous threads on this question, I think an important factor that everyone kept missing is that Jeep published a booklet that they provide with new Wranglers that proves that they're okay with the windows being on while in the Sunrider position. I think this new information should change everybody's mind. This is groundbreaking news. They look like this:
20190603_184611.jpg
20190603_184621.jpg
20190603_184733.jpg
No @multicam. Give this a rest. This guidance tells you see the Owner's Manual for complete details. This is by case law an automobile manufacturers get out of jail free card to be able to say, should these instructions be followed and cause someone harm, that it is the Owner's Manual, if contain conflicting instructions, that trumps all, and avoid litigation.

And indeed the owner's manual does have conflicting instructions here. It says to remove the soft windows before putting the top in any open position.

I often don't adhere to this. But you me, you are on your own if you don't follow FCA's Owner's Manual on this, not this placard.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey
Newbie question.
I have a 2019 Wrangler w/Premium Soft top.
Is it okay to put the top back/down, without removing the rear window and quarter panel windows?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sunrider-position-pointless.30957/page-9#post-716296

There is your official answer. @UNC Rubicon got it right first. I don't think it's a big risk if you leave the windows in during Sunrider position (you'll have to remove them for full top down,) but mother FCA says take them out here, and in the manual. If history is any indication people will tell you than know better than FCA and me.

Any literature others produce here from FCA that says other than that of the manual is trumped by the manual as long as that other literature 1) has you refer to the owner's manual for complete details, and 2) the owner's manual refers to no other for vehicle operation, which it doesn't. The owner's manual may refer you to service manuals for service issues though and the owner's manual trumping all others on JL operation still will indemnify FCA in court from conflicting information that may appear in supplemental materials.

Wrong dissenters may come here to disagree in numbers. It won't change facts. Someone, please bring in the sole FCA picture of a parked JL on private roads with side windows in and top in Sunrider position. You don't need a license, insurance, or a street legal vehicle to operate a motor vehicle on closed courses.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I never received that placard.

I have driven in sunrider with windows in on the freeway. No lost windows yet. Though it would give me a nice excuse for the wife to reason for buying the tinted windows....hmmm...

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@DG917 have to remove them to put all the way back. I tried with back window in but did not want to crease it. I got a window bag off Amazon works great.