Sponsored

Soft Top Friendly CO2 Tank Mounting Solution?

TreyJK

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 1979 CJ5, 1979 J20
I use my homemade CO2 tank set up to refill tires after wheeling, but still haven't found a great way to carry/mount it in the 2 door in a way that allows the soft top to open and close. I experimented with the roll bars, but then it won't let the top fold down. I removed the plastic side panels near the rear of the Jeep but that looks like trash and with my floor mat, the storage lid can't open. I'm currently welding up a shelf to span the tub and may come up with some way to mount it there but was wondering if anyone else had a genius solution to this problem. Post pics if you do!
Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

So, if you are dismissing the swing out tire carrier w/ C02 accessory mount thing, for inside the cab all I've come across is an angled bracket that Powertank sells, that attaches to the hard top bolts on one side. I figure if you are already welding, maybe you could get their mount and alter it enough to span the differently-spaced bolts in the 2 door. Idk, there is no elegant solution that I've come across yet either
https://powertank.com/collections/brackets/products/bkt-2249

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Have you considered using a snorkel tube in the tank to lay it horizontal or close to horizontal?
This is what I came up with for a 20# tank:
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Friendly CO2 Tank Mounting Solution? BEBEF184-4F3B-44B7-895C-505B58B67755

before I finished it to show how it lays down:
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Friendly CO2 Tank Mounting Solution? FA1D7AB5-5591-444F-BCC9-EADB1462C392

OP
OP
TreyJK

TreyJK

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 1979 CJ5, 1979 J20
So, if you are dismissing the swing out tire carrier w/ C02 accessory mount thing, for inside the cab all I've come across is an angled bracket that Powertank sells, that attaches to the hard top bolts on one side. I figure if you are already welding, maybe you could get their mount and alter it enough to span the differently-spaced bolts in the 2 door. Idk, there is no elegant solution that I've come across yet either
https://powertank.com/collections/brackets/products/bkt-2249
Ooh I hadn’t seen that bracket before, I think I might try to make something along those lines.
Have you considered using a snorkel tube in the tank to lay it horizontal or close to horizontal?
This is what I came up with for a 20# tank:
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Friendly CO2 Tank Mounting Solution? FA1D7AB5-5591-444F-BCC9-EADB1462C392

before I finished it to show how it lays down:
I’ve also never seen this either, the guy at the welding supply store just told me that the tank had to be vertical when dispensing. I’ll have to do more research on the snorkel for sure!

Go_Galt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Interested in this, because I'd love to get a soft top for my 2-door, but am dead set on a C02 tank and Powertank's sport bar mount (which uses mounting holes for the soft top) is the solution I initially went with (which I do love- it works great, looks clean, and doesn't take up my valuable 2-door cargo space... I just really want a ragtop).

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If I remember correctly, snorkle tubes originated with paintball guns on the smaller tanks that doubled as a butt stock. The only place I've seen them mentioned with larger tanks is on Power Tanks website. You don't want to get liquid CO2 in the regulator so without the snorkle you do need to dispense with the tank vertical. You'll only be able to install one on a tank you own of course.
Snorkel Tube Upgrade for Horizontal Power Tank Use

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I mounted mine on the rear passenger side fenderwell. Used nutserts in the body. Works like a charm.

ART3MIS

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys Sport
I mounted mine on the rear passenger side fenderwell. Used nutserts in the body. Works like a charm.
I'm working on the same issue in my Rubi 2 door - can you post of a pic of your mounting?

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just remember that CO2 will leak out faster than air or N2 because it is soluble in the butyl rubber innerliner. Faster as in a day or so. aka good enough to air up and get back on the road, just pay attention and be prepared to pump some real air in as the CO2 migrates out.
In practical application, my tires do not leak down in days...or weeks.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
For some reason I don't have any good ones taken during the install. Here is one after.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top Friendly CO2 Tank Mounting Solution? IMG_1165.JPG
I have been trying to sell my tank, but This looks like a lot better solution.

I might have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored