Sponsored

Soft top?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Ok guys, got a question for y’all. On a JL Will a factory soft top fit under a factory hard top? On my old TJ it had dual tops and worked great. Will a JL work the same or?. I’d like a soft top in summer but I’m a hardtop guy in cold weather. Thanks.
Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
The factory soft top actually has more headroom than the hard top, so that will not work. The mounting hardware would also conflict.

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
O you cannot fold wn the soft top and then install the hardtop over it like the dual top package on my old TJ? Nuts.😏

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
O you cannot fold wn the soft top and then install the hardtop over it like the dual top package on my old TJ? Nuts.😏
The soft top is a metal structure that mounts to the roll bars sits higher than the entire volume of the hardtop, probably to allow it to fold all the way back. You could get a shade type thing and keep it under the hardtop but there's no physical way to enclose a factory soft top within a hard top.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Yeah definitely won’t work. FWIW noise and temps are not really much different between my soft top JLU and the wife’s hardtop JT. Both are substantially quieter than the TJ I have been daily driving.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, that’s discouraging😏. My old TJ (2dr) came with dual tops. Folded the cloth one back and then installed the hardtop. Oh well..

There’sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Well, that’s discouraging😏. My old TJ (2dr) came with dual tops. Folded the cloth one back and then installed the hardtop. Oh well..
Nope that won’t work anymore. I think they ended that with the JK. Jeep should have kept that design. Sure was handy. And it’s cool when you find an old TJ that never had the soft top unwrapped. Still sitting in the back like it left the factory.

Smoke ‘Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
Drive one with a premium soft top. I thought I’d switch back and forth depending on the season, but nope, the premium soft top is so good my hard top just sits in the garage. The soft top on the JL IMO is the best soft top yet. On my TJ I run either hard top or no top, still have the soft top, but compared to the JL’s soft top it’s a pain.

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
I have a 2019 Sport 2 door soft top and am considering trading for a 2021 2 door Hard Top Rubicon I just saw sitting on a lot.

I really like the 2019 and hope I'd "LOVE" the 2021. Here are a few things I am concerned about.

1. It's a 2021 with less than 5K miles and on the used lot. WHY??

Ok, that's the negative I know.

2. I like the ease of the JL Soft top. Didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but the more you use it the easier it gets to throw down or put back up. Main issue is finding a place to store the windows so they are not scratched or damaged. I'm thinking I'd go with the Sunrider top and just leave the panels out most of the time. It is nice to be able to pull the side windows out to load up though. Won't be able to do that with the hard top.

3. I bought a set of Rubicon wheels and the KO2's for my Sport. Liked the wheels, but didn't like the noise or how it made my Jeep drive and the noise. Have yet to do a test drive on the Rubicon.

4. I had a 4Door Rubicon for a month when my Sport needed the drivers seat repaired (a week after purchase). I didn't like it much.

5. Approaching 70,000 miles on the Sport, 20000 of them mine. It looks as good as the 2021 and has the same body color.

I'll head to the dealer Tuesday and try a test drive.

Happy Independence Weekend.

Rod

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I started with a premium soft top, bought a hard top, went back to the soft top and sold the hard top. It's easy enough to remove the soft top parts, but I wouldn't want to switch back forth regularly. Unless you are worried about security, the soft top is by far the superior choice.

Marshall11

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021
Ok guys, got a question for y’all. On a JL Will a factory soft top fit under a factory hard top? On my old TJ it had dual tops and worked great. Will a JL work the same or?. I’d like a soft top in summer but I’m a hardtop guy in cold weather. Thanks.
A Jeep can have a hardtop and a soft top, but it's not recommended. While having both might seem like the best of both worlds, it's actually more trouble than it's worth.

Hardtops are much heavier than soft tops, so having one of each can put a strain on your Jeep's suspension and tires.

Plus, you'll have to remove and store the hardtop whenever you want to put up the soft top, which is a pain. i think - it's easier (and cheaper) to just choose one or the other.

I recently got a hardtop for my jeep and it's what i use given the cold and rains in my area.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Just a heads up. My 2022 has almost 6000 miles on it. And over 2000 have been beating the crap out of it off-road. I bought it to beat it. Low milage sometimes means nothing. I traded my TJ in with 11,000 miles and had already gone through two sets of tires. My 08 challenger has 62k miles and all of them have been abusive(10th set of tires).
Sponsored