Soft top disassembly- need a hand.

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
I need to swap one of the locking mechanisms on my soft top (2 door). It involves releasing one side from a pin. I usually pry on stuff until it beaks, but that doesn't seem like a good approach here. It looks like the pin has a square key in pressed into a keyway. I dont see a way to push the key out. It doesn't feel like I can just pry the pin out. Any ideas? See photos.

Screenshot_20210304-183103_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210304-183230_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210304-183322_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Yes, pry at those points, try a little on each side going back and forth from side to side. Once it starts moving it should come right off.
Gregj

OP
OP

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Greg. I'll give that a try. Appreciate it!

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I had to get that off to due to the mechanism and bar breaking. I asked Chrysler and Bestop, couldn’t help me. Only solution I found was sticking the claw end of a hammer in between the locking mechanism and that metal arm close to where they meet, and with another hammer bang the two heads together. Came off first tap. Make sure the claw end tappers off thicker than the gap between the mechanism and metal bar. It’s on really tight, wasn’t coming off by hand. And just hammered the new one on. Worked perfect.

OP
OP

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to get that off to due to the mechanism and bar breaking. I asked Chrysler and Bestop, couldn’t help me. Only solution I found was sticking the claw end of a hammer in between the locking mechanism and that metal arm close to where they meet, and with another hammer bang the two heads together. Came off first tap. Make sure the claw end tappers off thicker than the gap between the mechanism and metal bar. It’s on really tight, wasn’t coming off by hand. And just hammered the new one on. Worked perfect.
Thanks! Was planning to use a couple of long screwdrivers or something. Nothing beats first hand experience. I'll get a hammer and get to prying. Appreciate the help.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I'll file this under leaving well enough alone. I couldn't pry it apart. I had previously removed the clock spring, which was quite an explosive event. Maybe that misaligned it or something. I have it where I can put a punch on it and drive it with a hammer, but still nothing. It works fine with the broken lock, but it rattles and I would rather have it be right. Might have to buy or borrow a press to push it out.

20210305_163250.jpg

20210305_163310.jpg

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I had to get that off to due to the mechanism and bar breaking. I ask Chrysler and Bestop, couldn’t help me. Only solution I found was sticking the claw end of a hammer in between the locking mechanism and that metal arm, and with another hammer bang the two heads together. Came off first tap. Make sure the claw end tappers off thicker than the gap between the mechanism and metal bar
I guess I'll file this under leaving well enough alone. I couldn't pry it apart. I had previously removed the clock spring, which was quite an explosive event. Maybe that misaligned it or something. I have it where I can put a punch on it and drive it with a hammer, but still nothing. It works fine with the broken lock, but it rattles and I would rather have it be right. Might have to buy or borrow a press to push it out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top disassembly- need a hand. 20210305_163310

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top disassembly- need a hand. 20210305_163310
I know what you mean about explosive. The broken one I replaced I thought I’d try to fix it and once the housing budged it just exploded because of that tightly spun coil inside. Lucky I didn’t lose an eye.
Sponsored