First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’m on TREs site now. Are their soft shackles actually 3/4” thick? That’s amazing for the price point. I think I’m going to pick up a couple of those. Seems like a great deal.
OUT of stock.....

But yes, 3/4 inch and 40,000 lb rated. Seems like a good idea all around.
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
OUT of stock.....

But yes, 3/4 inch and 40,000 lb rated. Seems like a good idea all around.
Dang it! Lol, figures. Oh well, back to searching for another set then.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone use the new "long" soft shackles that replace a tree strap? Seems to be just a longer soft shackle to go around the tree.

The benefit they claim is one less connection needed as this long soft-tree-shackle can then go right through your closed system hook. With a normal tree strap you need a shackle between it and the closed hook.

You can also use it as a normal soft shackle, just longer, or double loop it if needed. So if you carry two of those you can drop two short soft shackles and two tree straps and still have backup if one gets fubar'd.

I am always for less connection points and less shit to pack/forget before trips.

TRE makes them - so a decent brand.

https://www.tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product-category/soft-shackles/tree-saver-soft-shackle/
That is a cool idea and I agree, less points on the line the safer it’ll be.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I cut my winch line down to 50' from 100', I'm going to make a 25' extension and use what's left of the winch line to make a couple of my own soft shackles. There's some videos online that show you how to do it. Should take about 6 or 7 feet to make one.
I figured since I already had the extra might as well put it to use. I just needed to get my line shorter to make sure I'm getting the most pull out of my winch.
I know Jim isn't around here, but cutting the winch rope in half reduces your options. Better to pull out twice as much and use an aluminum ring or a snatch block. You'll get even more pull force than a short line and it's a lower load on the line.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

For truly saving trees, the flat wide straps are much better than a round rope. I get it that tree saver straps are used for other than wrapping around trees and an extra long soft shackle could be useful.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
The 3/8" diameter is good for Jeeps.
The 1/2" are only pennies more.

The free chinese to english translation the advert uses isn't great. At least they call BS in the description. They claim it's 1" UHMWPE but has a BSL of only 39K, that's a WLL of 13K. My 1/2" UHMWPE SS are rated at 55K BSL.

Good UHMWPE is not expensive so my guess this is an OK tree saver. When in doubt, use a blanket. At least there's no metal to come flying.

Last edited:

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
Harbor Freight has high quality Badlands soft shackles for under 40 bucks.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i've got some from Factor55 and Bubba, and another major brand name i can't remember at the moment.
all have worked fine so far.
Sponsored